Using Skype With Edge . . Possible?

qwunk89

hi,

does anyone know if it is possible to use skype with edge? it seems that the 2g mobile network in thailand isn't fast enough for skype (at least the upload speed). i have heard reports of being able to hear the person your calling, but the person you are calling not being able to hear you. then again, someone just told me he video skyped his mom for a few hours from a koh phangnang beach using edge (AIS) through his phone. is it possible to skpe with edge or any other moblie option? do we have to wait for 3g for that? thanks.

hi,

does anyone know if it is possible to use skype with edge? it seems that the 2g mobile network in thailand isn't fast enough for skype (at least the upload speed). i have heard reports of being able to hear the person your calling, but the person you are calling not being able to hear you. then again, someone just told me he video skyped his mom for a few hours from a koh phangnang beach using edge (AIS) through his phone. is it possible to skpe with edge or any other moblie option? do we have to wait for 3g for that? thanks.

My experience, short answer is no. At best rarely. There is a wide variation in bandwidth on daily/hourly basis. I have had conversations, even with video, but the quality was poor. Although I use Skype daily, I only use text, simply because of the certain frustration at both ends.

I have two SIM modems piggybacked to give me double (?) the bandwidth. Sorry, I cannot give you too much tech info on that, my nephew set it up.

Also, international visitors with Skype phones have had no satisfaction here.

hi,

Mybe you give this free application a try - it works for me

FRING

I can get it to work about 50% of the time.

Skype has a test call future, where you call their center, you hear a recorded voice, after that you can speak in a message which will be played back to you.

This way you can hear how you would come through to the other side.

I always hear the other part well, but often I break up due to the slower upload speed.

The strength of Edge signals is variable - depending on your location, time of day etc. Sometimes it is so weak I cannot connect to to many overseas websites or even radio streaming., other times it so strong that I can download videos, or use Skype video link.

Typically it is stronger early morning - 6 a.m. or late at night, and at its worse around 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Presumably because it varies according to the number of people using it.

Text chatting on Skype or any other chat service like MSN Messenger is fine on Edge. Suggest you stick to that until you get a stronger internet connection.

hi,

I have tried everything. I think skype will only work with broadband.

hi,

I think it depends where you are at the time. I don't usually have any problems using skype via Edge when we go back to the village (occasionally I have to turn the video off and just use audio) which is about 40km from Korat but if I try from my sister in laws house which is on the outskirts of Bangkok I've got no chance of accessing any thing other than basic web pages. In the village I can also listen to the radio over the internet (and sometimes even low grade video streaming) and the general internet speed is much faster as well. In fact I've found Edge usually works well in any less populated area so I assume it depends on the mobile phone usage for that area at the time. In places like Bangkok the phone system is probably more or less saturated most of the time so edge internet speeds suffer and are very slow.