Bangkok Bars - Sukumvit

Tigerman1

Hi all

I am arriving in BKK on 19th May and have been to BKK many times.

I am not really into the 'go go' bars but like to have a laugh and a few bottles of beer but not get rip roaring drunk.

I have heard mentioned the Suk Soi 7 Beer Garden. Is this bar any good and if so is it still busy at around 7-11pm? Are the ladies pushy or are they OK and will have a chat and a laugh? Are they lookers or mingers?

Any other bars around this areas I would also have a look at as I am staying at the new'ish Ibis Hotel on Suk Soi 4.

Cheers all.

Regards

I don't mean to sound stupid but is teh beer garden a whore house tehn? If so, i;ll give it a miss.

Silom, i like to try to stay within walking of the hotel.

Soi 7 Beer Garden - no thanks!!

Any others that are decent?

What about Bus Stop? Is that still OK? I know that the food is (or was) OK.

Don't give Soi 7 Beer Garden a pass based on other peoples opinion. I for one like the place and it isn't a whore house. It does have some pretty used women but also some very delightful ones. The food is okay and not overly pricy. Visit and judge for yourself.

I suggest you spend an hour or so walking the area. Nana Road has many nices places past the Nana Plaza entrance. Soi 5 has Gullivers and Country Road. Soi 7/1 and Soi 11 also have a number of bars you can check out.

Edited by ballbreaker

Gullivers would be probably better for you as mentioned above

but have a look around, as each to there own

Spot on Boater except for the "their" part.

I find Gulliver's sort of pretentious, and I find the Bier Garden quite a hoot. It's hilarious in there, you see all kinds. I once heard it described as that alien bar in Star Wars. Hey, whatever, three eyes and a tail and you can still hook up at The Bier Garden.

As mentioned in another thread, I like the Golden Bar outside Nana Hotel on the street. Seriously, I can sit there for hours and people watch. The characters in Bangkok ....................

As mentioned in another thread, I like the Golden Bar outside Nana Hotel on the street. Seriously, I can sit there for hours and people watch. The characters in Bangkok ....................

IMHO Bier garten is fine for an hour but I get a bit depressed if spending any more time there.

I definitely agree with the Soi 4 viewpoint bars. I've tried the Golden Bar but prefer Big Dog and Morning Night. The music is great in these places to just sit and watch the world go by.

Londo

Agreed best bar in BKK for people watching, i tried Strikers bar directly opposite for people watching but it just lacks that certain something Golden Bar has.

i like hilary 2 on soi 4 opposite hanrahans not too seedy, just seedy enough...

That place is also OK but sometimes is more like a pool hall than a bar.

Plus the street-life is a bit more low key half-way down Soi 4. Also if you sit outside on the stools there, you tend to be in smokers corner.

I was last there in March and will be again next month. Is Strikers new ?

Londo

Edited by londoedan

... What about Bus Stop? Is that still OK? I know that the food is (or was) OK.

Yes, they've added an open air level above the bar, great food and snacks as always,

With lots of greenery and being walled-off on the street side makes it a pleasant respite. :)

Edited by cobra

Bangkok Beat on soi 7/1 (used to be called Absolute 7) sounds like the OP's kind of place. It doesn't normally get going till a little later on in the evening though, Say midnight.....give it a whirl.

Edited by thecatman

Yes Londo, Strikers is a newer sports pub across the street from Golden.

this place must make a killing those, always packed solid

You're right....

You'd think the Indian Tailor next door would see that and shut down the lame clothes business and open a bar....

I find Gulliver's sort of pretentious

It's a nice, large, well done place, sort of Hard Rock Cafe outlay.

No wonder. I remember when it first opened, people familiar with the venue said it took 1.4 million (US dollars) to do it up.

Free lancers around, some I heard talking sounded far better than Soi 7 Beer garden.

There are a number of 'GB' style pubs on the main drag in the Sukhumvit area and on Soi 4.

My favourite of these is The Robin Hood opposite Emporium.

Hanrahan's in Soi 4 should be ideal, but I've often found the service a bit poor.

Londo

Hi all

I am arriving in BKK on 19th May and have been to BKK many times.

I am not really into the 'go go' bars but like to have a laugh and a few bottles of beer but not get rip roaring drunk.

I have heard mentioned the Suk Soi 7 Beer Garden. Is this bar any good and if so is it still busy at around 7-11pm? Are the ladies pushy or are they OK and will have a chat and a laugh? Are they lookers or mingers?

Any other bars around this areas I would also have a look at as I am staying at the new'ish Ibis Hotel on Suk Soi 4.

Cheers all.

Regards

If you want to avoid the hookers and the GoGo bars, why on earth do you stay around Sukhumvit, and even "worse", Soi 4????

Bangkok is way more than that

some good posts and I know most of teh bars and places commented on.

I should have a good time next week and then head to the beach for a couple of weeks alone!

Just try to relax before returning to the rat race.

You seem to have knowledge about the area in question, and still you want to live there?? You want to relax and avoid pushy girls?

You must be kidding me :)

who said I wanted to avaoid hookers?

Who said I used to live around Sukhumvit?

This is the problem - people trying to 2nd guess each other.

I said I lived in BKK - ahhh its a big place.

Anyway, I take the comments and say thanks to those who have given some alternatives.

Cheers.

You said you were not into pushy girls, gogo bars, and that you wanted to relax etc...

If you want to be 100% sure to not have any girls hassle you, i gave you the advice to stay out of the tourist areas. :D

I certainly did not

Yeah, so why insisting on staying on Sukhumvit soi 4 of all places? Considering you wanted to relax and wanted hassle free areas? :)

You said you were not into pushy girls, gogo bars, and that you wanted to relax etc...

If you want to be 100% sure to not have any girls hassle you, i gave you the advice to stay out of the tourist areas. :D

I certainly did not

Yeah, so why insisting on staying on Sukhumvit soi 4 of all places? Considering you wanted to relax and wanted hassle free areas? :)

I think we are losing sight of the original post from the OP.

He said he doesn't like go-go bars, fair enough.

He mentions he is interested in the Bier Garden (although I have no idea what a "minger" is).

He says he likes to have a beer and have fun with the girls, discussions, jokes etc., not necessarily in the market to take one back.

There have been some good alternatives presented, Golden, Strikers, Gullivers. Also, I might add on Suk Soi 11 are now a bunch of nicer places with patios to sit and relax. Regarding the girls at the Beer Garden, sure you can sit and have some jokes but they'll move on when they see you are not interested.