Hiding Destination City During Check-in?

I have to check in for a flight on United tomorrow and I don't want my gf, who will be going to the airport with me, to know my destination city. Do the check in counters have the names of the destination city flashing above them? I can print my e-ticket in my house... but can anyone think of good excuses to prevent her from accompanying me to the check-in counter?? (e.g., go change my money for me, go get a seat at the restaurant, i don't want you to have to stand in line, etc)

I have to check in for a flight on United tomorrow and I don't want my gf, who will be going to the airport with me, to know my destination city. Do the check in counters have the names of the destination city flashing above them? I can print my e-ticket in my house... but can anyone think of good excuses to prevent her from accompanying me to the check-in counter?? (e.g., go change my money for me, go get a seat at the restaurant, i don't want you to have to stand in line, etc)

TG has special e-ticket checkin counters/section, dont know about other airlines.

Non-passengers are not permitted in many of the check-in areas (Thai certainly, dunno about United). Same for destinations, if an airline is not serving many locations then they do tend to put the destination.

Why not tell her you have another leg to your final destination, via wherever the flight is going :)

Last yr my partner accompanied me all through the Thai air Bus. Class check-in. Ditto the Qatar B class. We could only do our bye-byes at the Immigration place where you check to air-side. I have never known a regular check-in to exclude spouses from standing there while you check in.

P

The tangled web ,we weave !

Steeve are you doing a Runner ? Or just want some time alone

I dont think the Destination is put over the Check in

Like as been said it could be A staging post if it is up there

When are you coming Back ? If you do come back best take Extra Care Ok.

If you are flying TG from BKK, then the destination is NOT shown, all check in desks can be used for all destinations, however you may be asked where you are traveling too, I would get to chekin desk and handover my passport and online checkin slip, that way they should not need to ask questions just hand you a borading pass

She's your gf, why are you asking strangers for excuses? Surely you would know the kind of thing she will believe or not... :) If you're so concerned about not wanting her to know your destination why don't you sneak off to the airport alone??

Edited by popmybubble

I am a United frequent flyer and almost always use United (or a star alliance partner) when going from Bangkok onward. It is my experience that United flights always state the destination airport at check. I believe they do this because they only go to a handful of destinations from Bangkok.

... and she'll be able to see from the board which flight & destination is at which check-in (I'm assuming she can read English from your concern).

Just tell her you can't bear (public) airport goodbyes and leave her on the doorstep (you cad).

The UA check-in counters DO have the destinations of UA890 on the signs above the check-in positions, but only the destinations of UA890: Tokyo, Los Angeles and New York. If you are changing planes in NRT, LAX or JFK to some other city, your gf will still not know your destination, unless she sees your boarding passes or can decipher the airport codes on the baggage claim stubs.

wpcoe is correct that only the destination cities of that specific flight number will appear, however, the counter check-in staff will need to verbally ask/confirm with you what your final destination city is in order to make sure your bags are checked through to the proper final destination. You will need to audibly reply to this very direct and clear question to avoid becoming separated from your bags.

I usually fly United out of SIN or HKG but would assume the procedure is the same in BKK. Post 911 security is very strict and your will be required to pass a security screening (to get a sticker in your passport) before you physically check in at the counter. I doubt that Internet check in is allowed. A security screener will ask you a few questions and your “final destination” is usually the first question.

So, assuming she speaks English, it is best she does not accompany you at the check in counter. Even better, would be that you break-up or whatever else your deception is trying to avoid “in person” before you fly – be a man.

... and she'll be able to see from the board which flight & destination is at which check-in (I'm assuming she can read English from your concern).

Just tell her you can't bear (public) airport goodbyes and leave her on the doorstep (you cad).

Maybe tell her you do not want her and others to see you cry as you leave her, so get her to stay at home and you can cry a few crocodile tears on the doorstep.

Bad boy :)

:) What a hilarious OP. Make up some excuse, I'm sure you can think of something. Oh, and why do you need to print out an eticket? That's why it's an "e" ticket, no paper needed.

From my Qantas e-ticket LHR-BKK later this month....

"Before you travel-

Each passenger MUST carry a printed copy of this document when travelling."

So yes, paper is needed in some cases at least.

P.S. to the OP....be a man and be honest!

Edited by madforit

TG has special e-ticket checkin counters/section, dont know about other airlines.

Totally useless, you have to que with the other desks anyways as the desk is almost all the time closed or it is used as any other desk and fenced in with the que...

Totally useless, you have to que with the other desks anyways as the desk is almost all the time closed or it is used as any other desk and fenced in with the que...

It will be a crap shoot. Often, the clerk asks you about your final or connecting flights, and often issues boarding passes for the next flight if it is for the same airlines. If you are changing airlines mid trip, you won't get the second boarding pass, but the clerk may still ask about your flights and destinations anyway. Try to find the least friendly and least talkative looking staff member that might lower your chances of a conservation happening. Your friend will likely overhear that.