Where Is The Best Place In Thailand To Live

bkkmadness

I like the idea of Sri Racha. Close enough to Pattaya yet far enough away. Not much housing available though, I suppose you just have to buy a plot of land and build your dreamhouse?

There is a lot of development going on in Sri Racha now, perhaps too much. Just head up soi assumption and you will get the idea.

Sri Racha Park View phase 1 and 2, Country Homes phase 1, 2 and 3, Arcadia, Smart Homes, argh too many to mention. I hope it doesn't ruin the place.

Although it does appear to be a little more expensive in Sri Racha, i think this is due to the Japanese guys buying their mai noi a home and car.

Bangkok just gets a bit much sometimes.  I was out the other night and we ended up in the "jungle" of sukhumvit rd after 1am and it just seems like such a dump.  I remember saying to my mates  that this is probably the worse place in Thailand to be right now, apart from Pattaya I suppose and parts of Samui.  It's just full of alchys, losers and working girls and just seems so far removed from other parts of the country. 

I sometimes feel like this also. Walking to my house to 7-11 at midnight last night there was only one thought going through my mind – This place is a sh!tpit!

But there are the pluses for me I know I'll miss when they're gone:

* Broadband - A must have for my work.

* Still comparatively low violence compared to other big cities around the world.

* You've still got a fair choice for nightlife - it's not just limited to Sukhumvit [insert venomous rant about ridiculous closing hours here]

* The people are still friendly IMHO.

Problem with Thailand seems to be you only have the two choices of place to live, as proven by this thread – either super-isolated town with an infrastructure from the dark ages, or a thriving, crowded city with all associated goings on…

I am sorry I could never live in a city again after having grown up in one. My wife, me, our three children and the Burmse live-in Nanny (legalized) live in a small and quiet village outside of Kamphaeng Phet, where property is less than 100,000 Baht per RAI, (farm land is much less) the natives are very friendly and yes we can see the stars at night. Take a look at http://members.cscoms.com/~mglatz/ for pictures speak louder than words. :o

Chiangmai, without a doubt. Has all the modern trappings, culture, shopping, mountains, etc...and the most beautiful women in Thailand. Unfortunately, everyone seems to have the same idea as CM has grown to the point of overcrowding. But where else? BKK is a zoo. Pattaya is not even a real city. The infrastructure is shit, overdevelopment, too many sleazy sex tourists--and ever notice none of the Thais there are from Pattaya? The rural places are just simply out in the sticks. Nothing personal...to each his own. If you're happy in Pattaya, more power to you.

I like the idea of Sri Racha. Close enough to Pattaya yet far enough away. Not much housing available though, I suppose you just have to buy a plot of land and build your dreamhouse?

There is a lot of development going on in Sri Racha now, perhaps too much. Just head up soi assumption and you will get the idea.

Sri Racha Park View phase 1 and 2, Country Homes phase 1, 2 and 3, Arcadia, Smart Homes, argh too many to mention. I hope it doesn't ruin the place.

Although it does appear to be a little more expensive in Sri Racha, i think this is due to the Japanese guys buying their mai noi a home and car.

yes, sadly, Sriracha has grown too much too fast in the five plus years I've been here. Would not recommend coming here now. In my opinion, it's already been ruined... and now, one even can see the Pattaya sex-pats moving into the area... uggghhh... time to move further away.

You are starting to say what you want/need...but not entirely..What do you want? Does the business really mean you have to be close to BKK?...The wife was keen on the Rangsit suburbs...Had shopping centers, grubby klongs and a university...I thought it was more the sticks than Sukothai....Looked at Baan BuaThong too..yuk! Sounds like you can do without Pattaya...if you can answer my three essentials for youirself you will get closer....I hope

As you probably know land/houses are getting expensive in the countryside....if you have a partner, though, you can buy a nice place in/outside of many Jangwat capitals..Udon, Phitsanulok/ Ranong/ Nong Khai...a place a lot of my friends thing is good...for 1mB +/-

Get out that Life Planner!

Actually, what I wanted was some ideas, just a little feeback that I could use in the future. I'm a little lucky in that I'm not restricted by business, still young (28 last week) :o and could probably move to anywhere in Thailand and live a good life.

I do like easy access to BKK on the other hand because as much as I complain about the place, even when I have been on holiday for a while I like to come back to the neon lights of the city, the stink of it, and hustle and bustle of it. But I can't stand it all the time. :D I suppose no where is too far away though, internal flights are quick and cheap.

I can speak Thai reasonably well, I don't buy made up farang food but cook my own from the supermarket ingedients, I'm not a great clubber anymore as done more than my fair share of it, and all the things like getting DVDs on a regular basis can be sorted out with monthly trips to BKK, or getting them sent up to me. Nothing is too impossible really, and the sounds of nature and a weekend fishing on the river sounds like the good life.

I'm quite chilled out really, I keep fish as a hobby and room for tanks and ponds would be great for me, and I like cooking, and plants and I read my books, and I like just sitting out in the sun having a think, (OK, you got me, I'm a slacker!). :D Bangkok's a bit of nightmare if you wanna be in touch with nature a bit more.

This is not an urgent request for info really, I'm not moving next week, I just started thinking on it the other day, and thought I would post here and see what you all had to say.

Must say, really nice reading all the different places you live, it's easy to forget what a nice country this is to live in sometimes, that's why I love the RC blog.

Love the pics by the way Mouse, that boy looks like a right cheeky one. :D Unfortunately though, my comps a bit crap and the pics didn't upload so never got to see the orchids or half the pics.

Bkkmike,

Whereabouts are you?

I'm out in Klong Samwa (quite near Safari World), and live in a moo baan of detached houses.

The downside to the area is there are quite a few new moo baans going up around here, so what was the quiet edge of Bangkok when we moved here is getting more built up. (we used to be able to see another small lake as well, but it's now been filled in, and houses are going up on it...).

The Ramindra expressway is being extended out to the outer ring road in 3 years (supposedly), which should mean I'd still be able to get into the centre as fast, if not faster, than I can at the moment, even if the increase in housing makes the traffic worse... (Until that's built, I definitely wouldn't recommend this area as a place to commute to a job in the centre of Bangkok from, especially if you work a regular day job and travel in the rush hours).

Edited by bkk_mike

I've recently spent time in Park Kret in a moobaan.

The area has everything you could need nearby but coming back home (Sydney) just shows how shitty the area is and living in a moobaan is not what I personally would like.

Things I don't like is being so close to your neighbors. You can end up with a rubbish dump next door and nothing you can do about it, noisy dogs/birds, neighbors sitting/drinking next door in the street everynight. Not to mention those ###### noisy trucks selling everything from kitchen utensils to pancakes! Be alright if it was limited between 9am to 9pm but it's annoying getting woken at 5am in the morning. :o

Give me say 10 metres between neighbors and I'd be a bit happier! : :D

Cheers BaanOz

The area has everything you could need nearby but coming back home (Sydney) just shows how shitty the area is and living in a moobaan is not what I personally would like.

Things I don't like is being so close to your neighbors. You can end up with a rubbish dump next door and nothing you can do about it, noisy dogs/birds, neighbors sitting/drinking next door in the street everynight.  Not to mention those ###### noisy trucks selling everything from kitchen utensils to pancakes! Be alright if it was limited between 9am to 9pm but it's annoying getting woken at 5am in the morning.  :o

Give me say 10 metres between neighbors and I'd be a bit happier!  : :D

Cheers BaanOz

You were living in the wrong moo baan. (Did they have security guards at the main gate? They seem to stop the noisy trucks coming in...)

You were living in the wrong moo baan. (Did they have security guards at the main gate? They seem to stop the noisy trucks coming in...)

Yes your right. I was staying in a normal ajoining townhouse style place with no security guards, open to any noisy truck.

Not my choice but my wifes family live there. :D

Guess you have to pay more for a place with security guards at the main gates or put up with the noise. :o

Cheers BaanOz

Things I don't like is being so close to your neighbors. You can end up with a rubbish dump next door and nothing you can do about it, noisy dogs/birds, neighbors sitting/drinking next door in the street everynight.  Not to mention those ###### noisy trucks selling everything from kitchen utensils to pancakes! Be alright if it was limited between 9am to 9pm but it's annoying getting woken at 5am in the morning.  :o

Give me say 10 metres between neighbors and I'd be a bit happier!  : :D

Cheers BaanOz

Then buy (_) rai land and put house in the middle, thereby controlling all extraneous/undesireables ...... heck, buy 20 rai, its so cheap and it will certainly thrill the missus!! :D:D

Then buy (_) rai land and put house  in the middle, thereby controlling all extraneous/undesireables ...... heck, buy 20 rai, its so cheap and it will certainly thrill the missus!!  :D  :D

Sounds darn good! Maybe add to that - one of those traditional Thai pole homes about 10 metres off the ground! :o

Actually, I'd rather be near the ocean. Not too far from the relos in Bangkok. Either near Cha Am or Hua Hin.

My wife and I took the whole gang of 10 to Cha Am last week for a few days. Really nice place but very quiet at the moment. Cha Am being a more Thai spot, it seems Thai's are staying away for the moment. So I guess our visit isn't the norm, probably much busier at other times.

Hua Hin on the other hand was very busy with Farang tourists.

Funniest thing was in Cha Am (my wifes Mum who has never seen the ocean) walked up to three H U G E (as in wide) European men sunbaking and started yelling at them "why are you laying in the sun ...get under some shade" in her load Isaan accent!!

...they just ignored her. :D

Cheers BaanOz

You are starting to say what you want/need...but not entirely..What do you want? Does the business really mean you have to be close to BKK?...The wife was keen on the Rangsit suburbs...Had shopping centers, grubby klongs and a university...I thought it was more the sticks than Sukothai....Looked at Baan BuaThong too..yuk! Sounds like you can do without Pattaya...if you can answer my three essentials for youirself you will get closer....I hope

As you probably know land/houses are getting expensive in the countryside....if you have a partner, though, you can buy a nice place in/outside of many Jangwat capitals..Udon, Phitsanulok/ Ranong/ Nong Khai...a place a lot of my friends thing is good...for 1mB +/-

Get out that Life Planner!

Actually, what I wanted was some ideas, just a little feeback that I could use in the future. I'm a little lucky in that I'm not restricted by business, still young (28 last week) :o and could probably move to anywhere in Thailand and live a good life.

I do like easy access to BKK on the other hand because as much as I complain about the place, even when I have been on holiday for a while I like to come back to the neon lights of the city, the stink of it, and hustle and bustle of it. But I can't stand it all the time. :D I suppose no where is too far away though, internal flights are quick and cheap.

I can speak Thai reasonably well, I don't buy made up farang food but cook my own from the supermarket ingedients, I'm not a great clubber anymore as done more than my fair share of it, and all the things like getting DVDs on a regular basis can be sorted out with monthly trips to BKK, or getting them sent up to me. Nothing is too impossible really, and the sounds of nature and a weekend fishing on the river sounds like the good life.

I'm quite chilled out really, I keep fish as a hobby and room for tanks and ponds would be great for me, and I like cooking, and plants and I read my books, and I like just sitting out in the sun having a think, (OK, you got me, I'm a slacker!). :D Bangkok's a bit of nightmare if you wanna be in touch with nature a bit more.

This is not an urgent request for info really, I'm not moving next week, I just started thinking on it the other day, and thought I would post here and see what you all had to say.

Must say, really nice reading all the different places you live, it's easy to forget what a nice country this is to live in sometimes, that's why I love the RC blog.

Love the pics by the way Mouse, that boy looks like a right cheeky one. :D Unfortunately though, my comps a bit crap and the pics didn't upload so never got to see the orchids or half the pics.

"I suppose no where is too far away though, internal flights are quick and cheap"

I think that is right. We like to make trips to BKK too..we keep an apartment in On Nut which costs pretty well nothing....

"it's easy to forget what a nice country this is to live in sometimes"

Quite..avoid officialdom and do your stuff..not many places better I have found...you just need a reason to be somewhere!!

I live in Sakon Nahkon, in a small village. Used to live in Pattaya, like it best where i am now people are friendly i have never had a problem, been there for 2 years now, built the house and everything. In the village they have a volanteer patrol that goes around the village at night, checking to make sure that everything is ok. Air is clean and a good place for the kids to grow up.

Has its own airport so its easy to get to the big cities and beach resorts.

Edited by geordie