Is Cm The Place For Me?

Fazzmole

Hi,

I am coming to the point in life where I really would like to kick back and find some 'me' time (okay, its early but not that early retirement .. from work not life). That doesn't mean sitting around type stuff. I like art and photography, so CM seems like it may be an okay place and a good base for getting around. Having been to BKK I rate it highly but I can't see living there for an extended period. There is busy and BKK busy.

I am a terrible moocher and I like to walk, and when I say walk I mean city streets and not jungle. Distance wise a spirited walk of 1-2 hours every other day is what I do which can become a little boring without a choice of routes. I also jog around 6 miles on alternate days simply to keep healthy (I guess), but it does make me feel way better irrespective of how I started out. On teh other hand I am quite happy with a treadmill and a plasma TV to watch while I am hamstering.

To be quite honest I am happy with my own company and without forging some sort of social links I would end up a recluse. Oh yes, and the most awful thing of all, get this, I don't drink which makes me a pariah over in the UK. That isn't to say I have an issue with anyone who does, far from it, I have been at my happiest working behind a bar. Dull though it may be I like things like quiz nights, live music and comedy of any variety.

If I did decide on CM then I would want to rent an apartment for a month or so to really get a feel for the place. The US style condos look fine but I like the Jim Thompson style of traditional house and would prefer that ambiance. I am not a B&B person and I am quite happy foraging and cooking. Any ideas on this front would be welcome.

Lastly, as you will be thinking what manner of person I am, I am straight and not in search of a Pat Pong lifestyle or having some form of mid life crisis ( am of the opinion my life has been one long mid life crisis anyway :) ).

As you guys live there, maybe you can give me your perspective on the place?

Thanks for getting this far ....

Mike.

Hi Mike.

Getting around CM by bicycle is great fun IMO. It's a flat as a witches tit around here, and you'll find yourself exploring lots of out-of-the-way sois and sub sois. There's also plenty of mountain biking if you want to push things a bit harder.

I'm both a walker and a cyclist. I also have a motorcycle but it doesn't get too much use. I'm often walking up the Doi Suthep along the road (weekly), sometimes just for an hour, and other times to the temple at the top (takes about 2 hours non-stop). You can either walk down too, or jump in the back of a passing pick-up truck or Songtaew, whichever comes first.

oh, i could go on and on, but you'll get lots of tidbits of information from others too. The point is there's plenty to do with all kinds of activities. You can mould for yourself whatever kind of lifestyle you want :)

Cheers

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum, and to Chiang Mai I guess. :)

I think Chiang Mai will suit you just fine. For your initial visit though it's tough to find something that's traditional/rustic, offers cooking facilities AND can be booked for a reasonable price by the month.

In your case I think I would pick a nice guesthouse inside the old town area (within the moat) and negotiate a monthly deal. You probably won't have cooking facilities then, but it's easy and cheap.

Ajarn is usually right. Chiang Rai is pretty quiet and does not have lots of traffic and is the opposite of everything that people complain about in Chiang Mai.

I go for the big city myself, but I can not understand why all these people looking for a small town atmosphere do not live in Chiang Rai. :)

Mike, hi, i suggest that you spend some of your time scrolling back through several pages of earlier threads in this forum. We seem to be getting about one thread exactly like yours each week now ... must be rampant dissatisfaction over in farangland. Each of these earlier posters raised similar issues, so there will be a lot of material of interest in the subsequent responses.

Ajarn is usually right. Chiang Rai is pretty quiet and does not have lots of traffic and is the opposite of everything that people complain about in Chiang Mai.

I go for the big city myself, but I can not understand why all these people looking for a small town atmosphere do not live in Chiang Rai. :)

Hehe UG, I wouldn't exactly consider our humble little town a "big city". :D

Indeed C.R. is really a sleepy town.

I'm generally happy living in Chiang Mai but IMO it's not a great place for walking the city streets. Sidewalks are either cluttered or absent. Crossing the street is often an adventure. I prefer a bicycle for exploring, but even then the traffic takes some getting used to.

Hi,

I am coming to the point in life where I really would like to kick back and find some 'me' time (okay, its early but not that early retirement .. from work not life). That doesn't mean sitting around type stuff. I like art and photography, so CM seems like it may be an okay place and a good base for getting around. Having been to BKK I rate it highly but I can't see living there for an extended period. There is busy and BKK busy.

To be quite honest I am happy with my own company and without forging some sort of social links I would end up a recluse. Oh yes, and the most awful thing of all, get this, I don't drink which makes me a pariah over in the UK. That isn't to say I have an issue with anyone who does, far from it, I have been at my happiest working behind a bar. Dull though it may be I like things like quiz nights, live music and comedy of any variety.

I agree with a couple of others here that mentioned Chiang Rai - mainly for what I highlighted in your post above. Chiang Rai is quieter, way fewer tourists (currently due to the economy Chiang Rai is on a downturn) so if you enjoy your own company and are not looking for much of a nightlife, Chiang Rai could be the answer.

I agree with a couple of others here that mentioned Chiang Rai - mainly for what I highlighted in your post above. Chiang Rai is quieter, way fewer tourists (currently due to the economy Chiang Rai is on a downturn) so if you enjoy your own company and are not looking for much of a nightlife, Chiang Rai could be the answer.

Or Lampang?

Many thanks for your responses, very useful.

I have looked back for other forum posts and responses as suggested and didn't really get that far; however, I did find a note about this site which fits the bill nicely for my forthcoming visit: thailand-travel-help.com

There is quite a bit on YouTube courtesy of chiangmaipod.com which is a commercial outfit but, hey, there is nothing wrong with that.

I see also that there are a number of gyms one of which will have a decent treadmill. It may be wise move paying for an air conditioned gym rather than attempting to run in the heat. in the UK running in a hot temperature is never a problem and so you don't really think about it ... which you should. If anyone has a specific recommendation then shout!

Guesthouses to me generally suggest backpackers and shared loos, it is gratifying to note that most of the places are en suite.

There are quiz nights to boot!

Thanks again,

Mike.

Guesthouses to me generally suggest backpackers and shared loos, it is gratifying to note that most of the places are en suite.

Most guesthouses in Thailand have a good number of rooms with English TV, air con, fridges and personal bathroom. They often have everything a hotel has at a fraction of the price. I can't understand those that insist on staying in hotels that offer little more for a much higher price. :)