Non Imm B To Non Imm O Confusion

In April I traveled to the USA. I departed with a reentry permit on my extension (4th annual extension of permit to stay) of a Non Imm B visa. Due to concerns about job security and its tie to visa extension, I got a 12 month Multiple entry, Non Imm O based on marriage to a Thai National. When I returned to Thailand on 18 April I used the visa number for the Non O visa on the arrival card. The Immigration agent at the airport thumbed through my passport, and then stamped my passport with a permitted to stay date until 20 November 2009 which is the date my reentry permit is ending.

My question is, on or about 17 July 2009 do I just need to do a 90 day report to immigration, or do I need to do a border run based on a 90 day stay? Or what?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you are no longer working the permit to stay that the immigration officer gave you is no longer valid. He used your re-entry permit instead of your visa.

If you are still working then you will need to do a 90 day report.

Your non-o is good for a year so if you loose your job it is a good backup to your extesnion of stay.

If you are still working in Novmber then you might consider changing to an extension of stay for marriage to a Thai instead of employment. All you would need to show is your tax payments for 3 months prior to applying for the extension to prove income of 40,000 a month or more and your work permit to prove you are working legally.

Thaw would give you the security you want withut having to leave the country every 90 days.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. I am ready at any time to shift to the Non Imm O based on marriage. I have the letter from the embassy for >B40,000 monthly income from pension and the 400,000 baht in the bank (still seasoning for the 2 or 3 months depending on the Immigration official I end up with). Also have all of the documents (I hope) to support the marriage extension request.

It's nice to have some control over my future plans.

Thanks again for your response.

Edited by mmcsusnret

You would not even have to leave to do the change over. All you have to do is change the reason for your extension of stay. There is always confusion about doing this because people call it a visa which it is not. It is an extension of a

non-immigrant permit to stay.

• 4 weeks later...

Very simple, when you do your next extension of stay you fill in as reason to live with your Thai wife.

However, the requirements for an extension of stay based on marriage are stricter then for an extension of stay for a teacher. Because it is more work for both you and immigration they will not like it and may persuade you to go for an extension based on employement.

You will need to show an income of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in a Thai bankaccount and a lot of papers and some pictures to show that you are indeed living with your Thai wife and it is not a paper marriage only. They will also want to interview your wife and you will get a 30 day extension first, after which you have to ome back and get the remaining 11 months.

Always have the misses call immgration first to see which docuemtns they will want to see exactly.

You would not even have to leave to do the change over. All you have to do is change the reason for your extension of stay. There is always confusion about doing this because people call it a visa which it is not. It is an extension of a

non-immigrant permit to stay.

Hello. I currently have a non-imm B which is linked to my work permit as a teacher.

how do i change my visa extension to be based upon marriage to Thai wife rather then on strength of my job ?

i have searched the website but am still unclear.

any replies appreciated.

thank you

Nothing special has to be done. Just apply for it instead of one for employment.

You will need to prove a minimum income of 40,000 baht per month. This can be done witih tax payments (PNR 1)for the past 3 months and your annual tax return. And show work permit to prove you are working leally.

Or 400,000 baht in a Thai bank for 2 months in your name only proven by a letter from the bank.

You will need your marriage certificate, wife house book and I card plus copies. Your wife will need to go with you also. Plus some photos you both in and around the house. All the normal copies of your passport and TM6 departure card.

You will have a 30 day wait period while they consider your application before they put the extension stamp in your passport.