Election Day

jbaldwin

The actual closure hours are from 6pm on Saturday (5th) until 12 midnight on Sunday (6th). It is only on election days that the selling of alcohol is actually illegal - on other days when the bars close (King's birthday, Buddha days etc.) the selling of alcohol is merely "disrepectful."

Last year when we had the elections for the Mayor, the Pig and Whistle was done for serving alcohol, and the cashier spent a night in jail. You can bet that this year most bars are going to be much more circumspect, but there will be booze to be had, I'm sure. You'll need to look around.

I know of at least one go-go bar that is open EVERY official closing day.

Outside the lights are out but they have a special bar upstairs which they use for such occasions.

I won't post the details here for fear of drawing unnecessary attention to the place but if any established member wants to PM me I will hapily supply the name and location.

Last March, for local elections, most places did not serve alcohol from 6.00 pm on Saturday until they opened on Monday.

Some served beer in tea-mugs (shades of prohibition America), some opened but served only soft drinks. Cannot comment on go-go's, 'cos I found a bar serving beer and showing soccer on a (fairly) big screen TV. So I nested.

I hope everybody votes thaksin out of office he has done a very bad job of running the country.hes only in it for feeding his pockets nothing else.another 4 years of him will ruin the thai aconomy as less tourist will come with money because of the early bar closeings. :o Its time for him to leave if he get ellected again I feel sorry for thais still liveing there.As you will get even poorer from the lack of tourist dollar.