Exporting A Vehicle Into Thailand

Hi I spend around 4-5 months of the year living in Thailand and live in namphong, a town 50 kms from Khone Kaen........I tend to travel quite a lot when here and find my little 125 scooter is not up to it! so.....I was thinking of bringing out a vehicle and a motorbike from the UK, does anyone out there know of any rules or regulations regarding import/export? ..................many thanks Mike

Hi I spend around 4-5 months of the year living in Thailand and live in namphong, a town 50 kms from Khone Kaen........I tend to travel quite a lot when here and find my little 125 scooter is not up to it! so.....I was thinking of bringing out a vehicle and a motorbike from the UK, does anyone out there know of any rules or regulations regarding import/export? ..................many thanks Mike

My mate in town was looking at bringing his classic jag over from the UK. 100% import duty was quoted to him.

Mike if you do a search you will find loads of posts on this subject. the consensus is that it is more trouble than it is worth. The best thing to do is simply buy a vehicle here to use. Second hand vehicles are easily found and you can pick up some unusual vehicles as well if that's your thing. Good luck :)

Ditto...

I have heard many requests, but never anyone willing to pay the cost to do this...

You will be basically end up spending a whole lot of time and effort to work your way through the red tape and at the end of the day once you add up the Duty and taxes and shipping costs you will end up spending just as much (or in some cases more) than you would have if you just bought second hand here.

Mike

It really is not worth it. The tax you will pay will be obscene. Lets start with the motorbike. Almost anyone importing a bike tends to split the bike in to component parts and send it over in two or three boxes, as there is very little if not any tax on 'spare parts'. Then you have the issue of registering it when you have put it all back together. The car will sting. This is the place where the Porsche Boxter I bought in the UK for £32k sells for £140K in Bangkok!! They say the cheapest way to import a Boxster or in fact any other car is to import two, and give one to the customs guy at the port so that he lets yours in. You could probably hire a really nice car/SUV for £150 per month or even less if you took out a 5 month hire whilst you were here, it would make more sense

My mate in town was looking at bringing his classic jag over from the UK. 100% import duty was quoted to him.

You need to be very wary of duty rates being mentioned as the duty will be assessed on what customs value anything at rather than the value you put on it and there almost certainly be a huge difference.

A friend of mine imported a Harley, part by part and re-assembled here in Thailand.

Tax rate is different for a vehicle than spare/replacement parts. I don't think he had to many problems registering after the project was completed.

Just a consideration....... is it worth the time?

Have to agree with some of the replies mate.I posted the same topic some months back and got the same replies. I wanted to bring a pick up truck from the states. Basically it boils down to corrupt officals. Dont risk it.

SENT A DAIMLER OVER 5 YEARS AGO FOR A MATE,FAR AS I KNOW THE GUY IN CUSTOMS ENDED UP DRIVING IT ,CAUSE WE NEVER SAW IT AGAIN AFTER REFUSING TO PAY IMPORT DUTY . DONT BOTHER

:)

Full details here from Thai Government, basically even with an old car with maximum discount, tax and duty etc is still going to be over 100% of value.

Personally I like a new car, with over 3000cc engine or more than 220bhp, tax payable is a reasonable 328% of car value!

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer