Isp Review: Maxnet Indy

melonf

Maxnet Indy is the cheap and not so cheerful broadband ISP associated with TT&T

I am reviewing the 4096/512 service selling for 1070 Baht per month.

The only thing that the service is good for is browsing Thailand hosted websites. The download speeds then get near the advertised rates.

However as the small print clearly points out these rates don't apply to international P2P and VoIP sites. And from my experience the high rates don't apply for standard web browsing of international sites either.

Many services are blocked on Maxnet Indy:

- FTP transfers are only 50% successfully, I have to revert to a dial up connection from True to upload website material

- OpenDNS and all other 3rd party DNS services have recently been blocked

- The standard outgoing SMTP email ports are blocked to try and prevent you using 3rd party SMTP email services

There are frequent failures of the proxy that Maxnet use for website blocking leaving sites with partially blocked URLs such as Wordpress, Blogspot and Wikipedia liable to being unusable.

All this blocking seems to have overloaded the Maxnet DNS server and now about 10% of lookups fail requiring a retry.

Also pages hang whilst loading presumably as the DNS has failed for lookups to adservers etc. (you can then wait for the timeout or try flicking the broswer temporarily offline revealing the rest of the content that it has downloaded so far).

All in all a very poor servcice at the current time. But as always, liable to change if they upgrade their hardware etc.

Maxnet Indy is the cheap and not so cheerful broadband ISP associated with TT&T

I am reviewing the 4096/512 service selling for 1070 Baht per month.

The only thing that the service is good for is browsing Thailand hosted websites. The download speeds then get near the advertised rates.

However as the small print clearly points out these rates don't apply to international P2P and VoIP sites. And from my experience the high rates don't apply for standard web browsing of international sites either.

- FTP transfers are only 50% successfully, I have to revert to a dial up connection from True to upload website material

- The standard outgoing SMTP email ports are blocked to try and prevent you using 3rd party SMTP email services

There are frequent failures of the proxy that Maxnet use for website blocking leaving sites with partially blocked URLs such as Wordpress, Blogspot and Wikipedia liable to being unusable.

All this blocking seems to have overloaded the Maxnet DNS server and now about 10% of lookups fail requiring a retry.

Also pages hang whilst loading presumably as the DNS has failed for lookups to adservers etc. (you can then wait for the timeout or try flicking the broswer temporarily offline revealing the rest of the content that it has downloaded so far).

All in all a very poor servcice at the current time. But as always, liable to change if they upgrade their hardware etc.

I have the Maxnet Indy 5120 / 512 kbps for 590 + VAT and it mostly runs at this speed.

I just tried OpenDNS with it at 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. I have no problems at all. And I checked this with more than 400 websites - a program that looks for changes and reports them if any.

Then I made a FTP upload - no problems.

I can send emails without problems - no blocked SMTP port here.

Is there anything wrong with your system? Or is it at your location Maxnet not the same? I am in Pattaya and I am wondering about the problems people report here with Maxnet. I don't have any. If I can check something for you with my connection please let me know.

Edited by Johnxxx

Maxnet Indy 5 megs was great for me...then suddenly for the past 3 weeks terrible.

I'm thinking of changing to Premier but I doubt it will be better....

Are you sure that not the called servers are the problem? When I stay in the USA I can use a 12 Mbps connection. Downloads are great but http calls not faster than here.

Before Maxnet I had TOT ADSL at the same location. It was perhaps the worst experience in all my 10 years in Thailand. Often I used my old Ji-net dialup because it worked and was because of a compressor software with http data often faster than my 2 Mbps TOT ADSL without a compressor. Really - I thank god every day that I have Maxnet now!!! It might be not heaven but for sure it is not hel_l anymore :)

...All in all a very poor servcice at the current time. But as always, liable to change if they upgrade their hardware etc.

I totally agree. Everybody PLEASE stay off Maxnet Indy.

This is your third thread bashing Maxnet. Good work! Keep it up.

:)

I have the Maxnet Indy 5120 / 512 kbps for 590 + VAT and it mostly runs at this speed.

Is there anything wrong with your system? Or is it at your location Maxnet not the same? I am in Pattaya and I am wondering about the problems people report here with Maxnet. I don't have any. If I can check something for you with my connection please let me know.

Out of interest what is your package?

The current prices n the Maxnet website are

3072/512 for 590 + VAT

4096/512 for 790 + VAT

5120/512 for 1000 + VAT (I see mine has been upgraded)

I am thinking that if you are on the 3072/512 it may be worth trading down. I suspect that because this is the package that Maxnet are pushing then they may be giving it better resources. Or perhaps the older packages are just over subscribed and too many customers are sharing the existing resources.

Strangely today I haven't had a DNS look up failure yet. I may even try OpenDNS again...maybe Maxnet read this forum

Out of interest what is your package?

The current prices n the Maxnet website are

3072/512 for 590 + VAT

4096/512 for 790 + VAT

5120/512 for 1000 + VAT (I see mine has been upgraded)

I am thinking that if you are on the 3072/512 it may be worth trading down. I suspect that because this is the package that Maxnet are pushing then they may be giving it better resources. Or perhaps the older packages are just over subscribed and too many customers are sharing the existing resources.

Strangely today I haven't had a DNS look up failure yet. I may even try OpenDNS again...maybe Maxnet read this forum

When I canceled the for me very bad TOT ADSL 2Mbps I started with the Indy 2Mbps (username@indy - still is the same).

I used both for some months in parallel via the modem of my friend (he had Maxnet I had TOT). Youtube for instance came at Maxnet 2 Mbps with 222 KB and at TOT with 8 KB and so on. So I canceled my TOT contract early - had to pay Baht 1070 for it - and switched to Maxnet. After several weeks I got a speed increase for free to 3 Mbps and recently I got a free upgrade to 5 Mbps. First I thought my modem shows the wrong connection speed - but it really works with this speed.

I am wondering myself - when I look at the Maxnet site they do not talk about this 5 Mbps. Perhaps they want to gather their experience. Somehow I still use the internet like before despite the higher speed. And I am not an endless downloader who are somehow the killers of free upgrades - some take all the bandwidth they can get whatever you give them. I know people they download day and night and mostly never look at the finished downloads afterwards. :)

Exact same problems here :)

Maxnet are absolute garbage !

some take all the bandwidth they can get whatever you give them. I know people they download day and night....

Hold on a minute - I think you are talking about my son there.

It just struck me that Maxnet may be "throttling" our connection due to the crazy teenage download antics of my son. Anyone experienced that before ?

If so, how long does it take to get your name off the "blacklist" ?

Edited by AlarmGuy

some take all the bandwidth they can get whatever you give them. I know people they download day and night....

It just struck me that Maxnet may be "throttling" our connection due to the crazy teenage download antics of my son. Anyone experienced that before ?

I never hat an experience like this. But why don't you change to TOT - if there is Maxnet then normally there is TOT too. Maxnet was founded out of TOT. Often they use the TOT lines and their billing system.

Edited by Johnxxx

My advice to anyone looking for an ISP is to run away from any thought of using TT&T Maxnet!

TT&T Maxnet has been one of the greatest frustrations I've experienced in Thailand. 50% of the time, I cannot connect to the internet. I call the 1103 number and they just take my number and get back to me when it's convenient for them. I am never told what the hel_l is wrong. I have grown to loathe the 1103 number. They are paid to just get your number and blow you off. They refuse to let me talk to anyone beyond themselves (supervisors, corporate office). I have gotten many creative excuses why my internet connection isn't working such as "someone stole your telephone line", the router must be turned off for 30 minutes everytime you can't connect, reconfigure your router everytime there is a problem, I must call my local TT&T office in Robinson Mall Sriracha... Once, I believe I got a truthful answer from a representative at 1103 who said TT&T has problems with their servers.

They have sent technicians out to my home many times but the problem of intermittent connection has never been resolved.

I haven't been able to find out if there are any other ISPs in the Sriracha-Bang Phra area.

I have the misfirtune of using the Indy 2Mb package.

I would sooner suffer losing contact with the world via internet than continue giving good baht to this inept company but alas, I must have an internet connection because my wife needs it occasionally for her work.

Does anyone know if CSLoxInfo is any good and does it service Sriracha?

Count your blessings those of you who have Maxnet that works!

My advice to anyone looking for an ISP is to run away from any thought of using TT&T Maxnet!

TT&T Maxnet has been one of the greatest frustrations I've experienced in Thailand. 50% of the time, I cannot connect to the internet. I call the 1103 number and they just take my number and get back to me when it's convenient for them. I am never told what the hel_l is wrong. I have grown to loathe the 1103 number. They are paid to just get your number and blow you off. They refuse to let me talk to anyone beyond themselves (supervisors, corporate office). I have gotten many creative excuses why my internet connection isn't working such as "someone stole your telephone line", the router must be turned off for 30 minutes everytime you can't connect, reconfigure your router everytime there is a problem, I must call my local TT&T office in Robinson Mall Sriracha... Once, I believe I got a truthful answer from a representative at 1103 who said TT&T has problems with their servers.

They have sent technicians out to my home many times but the problem of intermittent connection has never been resolved.

I haven't been able to find out if there are any other ISPs in the Sriracha-Bang Phra area.

I have the misfirtune of using the Indy 2Mb package.

I would sooner suffer losing contact with the world via internet than continue giving good baht to this inept company but alas, I must have an internet connection because my wife needs it occasionally for her work.

Does anyone know if CSLoxInfo is any good and does it service Sriracha?

Count your blessings those of you who have Maxnet that works!

And, on the other hand, I just happily prepaid another six-month package for TT&T MaxNet Indy.

MaxNet is not perfect -- there have been periods where connectivity was spotty -- but I had the same experience in Bangkok with KSC and QNet, and in fact, I think it was more frequent with KSC. I'm particularly happy with the free upgrades from 1MB to 2MB to 5MB for a constant B1,000/month.

That said, I am not a heavy torrent downloader nor online game player (player of online games, that is), but when I do have the occasion to download large files (like Windows 7 Beta) the speed is there for me.

I'm perfectly happy with my Maxnet Premier, which admittedly is more expensive, but I'm perfectly willing to pay the extra for ths speed stability and the lower latency.

The last few weeks they did seem to have some issues, for me only noticeable doing downloads, not really when surfing, but in the last week everything is back to normal...

I am now getting a rock solid 2.6 Mbps down and around 600 kbps up, regardless of time of day or the location of where I'm downloading from.

This is on a 3Mbps/1Mbps package at a cost of a tad over 2200 Baht/month.

I'm perfectly happy with my Maxnet

Maxnet is boring at least for me. It is like - you switch on the light and it works. Not much to think about it - that is Maxnet for me. Before I had TOT. There was more excitement. You switch on the light - it might work or not, it might be bright or not. Alone this was some kind of entertainment - It always gave me a lot of feelings. Maxnet does not provide this after a while - I got tired of this feeling "today it is great again". Now they even upgraded me from 2Mbps to 5Mbps - what should I do with this speed? I have to look for a new annoyance now. Somehow I miss TOT :)

I don't think there is a blacklist but I know for a fact that my TOT connection was unusable when my neighbor was doing bittorrent. I had to kick him off to get any work done. I don't think it was any kind of intentiional throttling because torrent speed was good, up to 100KB/s on a 2Mbit line. I set the QOS settings in my router to make torrents lowest priority. Didn't help at all though - when the torrents were going, it was unusable for me. I set up his BT client so all connections were encrypted too, as a precaution so the ISP can't throttle us. To no avail.

As soon as the torrents were off, speed was fine again.

So I think the torrents starve the bandwidth and / or connections on their side, but it's my guess that they don't do anything special to punish torrenters.

Turn off your sons machine when you have issues and see what happens. It might be as simple as he's using all the bandwidth and there's none left. Might want to get him his own el-cheapo line, then... :)

Hi, (I have posted on another thread about Maxnet). .. but my experience with Maxnet has been horrible. I have been with them now about 9 months and the service really does 'come and go'. The first 3 weeks was 100% and impressive ... but since then numerous problems.

1) For 3 months: Use the internet for 2 hours and then must switch off router and switch on again as line drops. No lie 3 months of this. Why? No answer from TT&T ...but this problem did go away.

2) 3 Sundays throughout the day where the internet was down for at least 6 hours each time.

3) Since around April 1st (I believe upgrade D-day) untill May 17th. IP's 112, 114, 117 very poor or no international connectivity. But IP 222 fine?? Why? No answer from TT&T ...but this problem has nearly gone away.

4) Now (as of Monday), 112, 114, 222 seem to be good ...but 117 still poor. Why? I haven't asked them yet LOL.

I thought I was paying for a 24/7 service but this is not the case. TT&T= TIT me thinks.

I can honestly say that out of around 40 weeks with them, only 9 weeks has the internet worked properly ... I think that is poor, don't you?

But hey, let's all hope they have overcome most of their problems now (I live in hope) and that the internet 'comes' and doesn't 'go' anymore.

Let's all hope one day we can just switch on our routers and the internet works everytime without having to constantly educate ourselves about probable cause and cure. I just want to use the internet ..that's all ...nothing more ....I do not want to become a computer teccy.

P.S. I also see that some of you (I presume on Eastern seaboard) have gone up to 5MBPS but where I live west of BKK up to 3MBPS (when the IP probs started) ....wonder why that is?? (other than one posters theory of gaining experience: JohnXXX)

P.S. I also see that some of you (I presume on Eastern seaboard) have gone up to 5MBPS but where I live west of BKK up to 3MBPS (when the IP probs started) ....wonder why that is?? (other than one posters theory of gaining experience: JohnXXX)

Don't give up! Honestly. If I could I would send you 1 Mbps of my 5 Mbps. I do not use them anyway. :)