Baby Born In Thailand

EndofDays

My wife will be having our baby in Thailand. My question is, how much does it cost to have a baby born in Thailand? I want her to go to a private hospital and more than likely I will get her health insurance. I was just wondering how much it cost for the birth and the follow-up care.

It cost my sister in law 30,000 Baht at a private hospital in CM a few years ago.

Wow, that is cheaper than the U.S. I still think I want to get insurance for peace of mind. Thanks for your information.

If she is already pregnant its to late to purchase insurance to cover a preexisting condition. If not pregnant make sure you get rider on any insurance you buy that covers pregnancy.

Bumrungrad started natural and ended in c-section. C-section package 64k including 3 nights stay. Total bill was 70k when you add birth certificate translations and certifications from MFA and my room service meals etc etc...

Kids center is around 1000 to 1500 to see the doc, vaccinations are extra i believe.

Edit: BNH quoted better price than Bumrungrad and have heard good thing from friends using them.

Edited by MJo

Bumrungrad started natural and ended in c-section. C-section package 64k including 3 nights stay. Total bill was 70k when you add birth certificate translations and certifications from MFA and my room service meals etc etc...

Kids center is around 1000 to 1500 to see the doc, vaccinations are extra i believe.

Edit: BNH quoted better price than Bumrungrad and have heard good thing from friends using them.

Please someone explain to me as to why farangs pay ridiculous amounts to private hospitals for their babies to be born ? If their wives were married to 'Joe Bloggs' of Isaan, then they'd use the government hospital, full stop. I asked my wife why farangs wives do this, and her reply was "prestige", on the wifes part. Vaccinations free in government hospitals. Edited by coventry

It cost my sister in law 30,000 Baht at a private hospital in CM a few years ago.

Wow, that is cheaper than the U.S. I still think I want to get insurance for peace of mind. Thanks for your information.

If she is already pregnant its to late to purchase insurance to cover a preexisting condition. If not pregnant make sure you get rider on any insurance you buy that covers pregnancy.

Insurance company already said the baby would be covered becuase it is different froma pre-existing condition. Also, when baby is born, it will be covered for the first year under the mother's plan.

Please someone explain to me as to why farangs pay ridiculous amounts to private hospitals for their babies to be born ? If their wives were married to 'Joe Bloggs' of Isaan, then they'd use the government hospital, full stop. I asked my wife why farangs wives do this, and her reply was "prestige", on the wifes part. Vaccinations free in government hospitals.

If it was here in the U.S., then we would also use our own private doctor in the best hospital cound find. So...it would stand to reason that I would want the same thing in Thailand. If I can afford it, why not get the best care for the little guy and start him off right? Prestige, that is a dumb statement, this is not a show-dog, it is a new child and I will do everything I can the baby start off this life right.

Prestige, that is a dumb statement, this is not a show-dog, it is a new child and I will do everything I can the baby start off this life right.

:)

My sister in law was not married to a farang and not rich by a long shot but for the same reason EndofDays posted above, chose the best hospital she could afford. Nothing to do with showmanship, just wanting the best she can do for the new one.

Please someone explain to me as to why farangs pay ridiculous amounts to private hospitals for their babies to be born ? If their wives were married to 'Joe Bloggs' of Isaan, then they'd use the government hospital, full stop. I asked my wife why farangs wives do this, and her reply was "prestige", on the wifes part. Vaccinations free in government hospitals.

Cause we can afford it old chap, cause we can.. In our case, insurance covered it, so it was a no brainer.

What matters in the end, is that my wife felt comfortable, and I've got happy healthy daughters, each with three passports!!

hahaha

Edited by samran

Please someone explain to me as to why farangs pay ridiculous amounts to private hospitals for their babies to be born ? If their wives were married to 'Joe Bloggs' of Isaan, then they'd use the governmenment hospitals.

Here we go again.... I'm very well aware from your previous posts that you prefer it free. I have no problem with that.

Personally i prefer to spend few buck for the convenience, comfort and short distance from my place to Bumrungrad but i fail to see how this effects you and your family. It's not out from your pocket, is it. So let it go, take it easy. Let people live and spend their money as they see fit... :)

For the record there was 6 or 7 newborns in the nursery as we were there. One was ours half farang, half thai. One was 100% japanese and rest were 100% Thai. So it's not only farangs that spend their money there.

but i fail to see how this effects you and your family.

Because the majority of people that live in Thailand don't live in Bkk. Therefore they have the right to seek out the cheapest option available to them, and if I can do that for them, then I feel I've contributed. Have a nice day Mjo.

Edited by coventry

but i fail to see how this effects you and your family.

Because the majority of people that live in Thailand don't live in Bkk. Therefore they have the right to seek out the cheapest option available to them, and if I can do that for them, then I feel I've contributed. Have a nice day Mjo.

If i was living out in the sticks i would have used the nearest government hospital for sure. I mean it's a no brainer really and i believe farangs act same as thais opting for the best option available for them in their area.

Total was 45k THB in BKK-Phuket Hospital. C-section, incl. Doctor fee, 5 nights in a double-room suite on the 6th floor. Full meals, medication, 2 LCD flatscreens, cable TV, kitchen, sleep sofa (for myself), 2 big bathrooms. Sliding door to separate the 2 rooms and keep the many visitors, family friends outside.

Of course there is the option to go to a Govt Hospital, 6 Mother/child beds to a room. Her Sister did that and even got 4000 baht BACK from the health insurance.

I went the luxury way simply because it is available in Thailand and also affordable, unlike back in my home country (Europe).

Great experience! I slept next to my wife on the sofabed, took care of her and the little one :) . It was almost like a vacation in a resort hotel, just without the pool!

Because they believe it's better even when it's not (you can pay extra in public hospitals for better service).

But they could regret if anything goes wrong: it seems that public hospitals won't accept you in case of surgery or other trouble if you have decided to give birth in private hospital, so you will have to pay the 500000 thb or more as it happened to a Thaivisa member, so when you check in be sure that you have more than the 50000 they ask for the package, even though everybody hopes that everything will be fine.

Free in a government hospital other than for private room and doctors kick back of 1,500 Baht. Total 7,500 Baht.

Coventry,

Surely you are joking?

The quality of care in the best private hospitals in Thailand is light years above the typical public hospitals.

1) Better trained doctors - the cream of the crop not new interns

2) Shorter waits - a cousin of my wife had a baby in a public hospital when she was ready to have the baby no doctor was available until it was almost too late.

3) Doctors that can speak a much ligher level of English. Also typically translaters on staff

4) Better equipment MRIs etc

5) Better medicine - the best drugs that are not always stocked at public hospitals.

6) Nicer rooms and facilities.

7) Public hospitals and the 30 Baht or social security payment plans require approvals and waits for many procedures and medicines. My wife has a university friend who is currenty dying from cancer as she could not get the care she needed at a public hospital in time endless delays and waits...

8) There is only one reason to use a public hospital - lack of funds or perhaps a public emergency room when there is no private hospital nearby.

I could go on and on

Because they believe it's better even when it's not (you can pay extra in public hospitals for better service).

But they could regret if anything goes wrong: it seems that public hospitals won't accept you in case of surgery or other trouble if you have decided to give birth in private hospital, so you will have to pay the 500000 thb or more as it happened to a Thaivisa member, so when you check in be sure that you have more than the 50000 they ask for the package, even though everybody hopes that everything will be fine.

Not always true lady next door had baby under C-section baby 29 weeks 0.700kg with many problems expected to be in ICU for upto 16 weeks stayed in Private hospital till baby was stabilized 4 weeks 700000B German man running short of money baby got transferred to government hospital under the 30B scheme and has since had operation in the government hospital

• 6 months later...

Planning to get pregnant. Does anybody know about Phuket International Hospital? I really had a bad experience with gynos in Bangkok Phuket Hospital... don't trust them anymore... I would really appreciate if somebody gives me a couple names of the doctors a well. Thank you

Edited by noangelbeauty

Lady next door to use used the local hospital the day before Songkran, after some time of wait (1hr) doc said was take'n to long so he needed to help the baby along, this meaning he started to press the mothers stomach with all his weight, plus askin a midwife to also help press. Next he said they needed to us forsecpts to help the child, this he applied to much force and killed the child, crushing it's skull. Seeing this he left the room and left the mid wifes to finishe it off. They forgot to remove the placenta from the lady, 1 week later she lost her sight and was gravely ill. Her family took her to the next city hospital that found the problem but was to late, Mother and child died.

Not always true lady next door had baby under C-section baby 29 weeks 0.700kg with many problems expected to be in ICU for upto 16 weeks stayed in Private hospital till baby was stabilized 4 weeks 700000B German man running short of money baby got transferred to government hospital under the 30B scheme and has since had operation in the government hospital

We used a private hospital, Central General in Suphan Mai area, Bangkok

Son C section 28,000 included everything 4 day/ 3 night meals and a crap load of goodies.

Birth certs in English and Thai. Doc also spoke englisg fluently.

Daughter same hospital 30,000 all in. Wife needed some different meds as she has allergies to Some penicillins.

Care was awsome. No need to got the Farang land Suk/ Silom area and shell out huge for nothing.

I think I remember reading that 80% of babies born in US private hospitals are done under C-section and the equivalent statistic for public hospitals in the US is 20%. I wonder why?

I have no gripe with people paying for the best private care and would marginally prefer to do so myself. When my wife said she wants to deliver in the local hospital where the whole family had been successfully born over the generations, rather than the posh private hospital in Ubon 85 kilos away I went with what she wanted, but that will all change if there are any complications.

People should not try to impose their prejudices on others (or exercise their envy maybe?)

I think I remember reading that 80% of babies born in US private hospitals are done under C-section and the equivalent statistic for public hospitals in the US is 20%. I wonder why?

I have no gripe with people paying for the best private care and would marginally prefer to do so myself. When my wife said she wants to deliver in the local hospital where the whole family had been successfully born over the generations, rather than the posh private hospital in Ubon 85 kilos away I went with what she wanted, but that will all change if there are any complications.

People should not try to impose their prejudices on others (or exercise their envy maybe?)

The problem I wrote about happened in Khun Han Hospital about 30min from Kantaraluk, I also just had two different friends have babies in Kanataraluk hospital with no problems at all.

We went to bkk to have our daughter, as our son was born in bkk, same Doc so things were easy. Both kids had to be C section as wife was to small to get the head out. Doc waited till 42 weeks to try for natural but further Ultrsounds showed that our son would not fit (or drop any further as he was sitting on the pelvic bone.

Doc's at Central where very good and did not seem to push C sections.

Good luck with your my family member to come.