Pad Registers For Political Party

churchill

People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has informed the Election Commission (EC) its intention to set up a political party under the group's name, EC secretary-general Suthiphon Thaveechaiygarn said Thursday.

The request to set up the political party was made on April 24, he said.

Mr Suthiphon added that the poll agency is verifying the party's policies and its rules to make sure that they abide by laws. This process would be completed within 30 days.

continued at

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...political-partypostlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 14/05/09

People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has informed the Election Commission (EC) its intention to set up a political party under the group's name, EC secretary-general Suthiphon Thaveechaiygarn said Thursday.

The request to set up the political party was made on April 24, he said.

Mr Suthiphon added that the poll agency is verifying the party's policies and its rules to make sure that they abide by laws. This process would be completed within 30 days.

continued at

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...political-partypostlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 14/05/09

FEAR...?????????? They have to be elected before concern is needed,as many new partys rise and fall.

WORSE YET TO COME THATS FORSURE..............JUST DONT FORGET THE HOSPILITY MANNERS IF YOU A GUEST OF THAILAND PLZ. THAIS CAN CARE FOR THEM

SELVES AS THEY HAVE FOR MANY MANY YEARS .PRAY FOR UNITY !

CHAPTER III

Rights and Liberties of Thai People

Part 7

Freedom of Expression of Individual and the Press

Section 48. No person holding a political position shall be the owner of, or hold shares in, newspaper, radio or television broadcasting or telecommunication business, irrespective of whether he so commits in his name, or through his proxy or nominee, or by other direct or indirect means which enable him to administer such business as if he is the owner of, or hold shares in, such business.

Not such good news for the democrats, aren't most of PAD followers believed to vote for them ?...

I do not see elections soon, then ...

yes if it splits the votes between democrats and PAD, both might be in troubles.

They might very well split voters between Democrats and their own candidates and thus allow a third party win instead, ie 30% Dem. 30% PAD, 40% PTP.

It wouldn't matter in parliament or on party list ballots, but in local consituency votes, and they still supply most of the MPs.

In the big scheme of things it doesn't really matter what they do as long as they are doing something. Maybe three years from now we'll look back and think - PAD would have achieved more if it remained outside politics. So what?

Right now the decision needs to be made either way, so whatever their hearts tell them - go with it.

Not such good news for the democrats, aren't most of PAD followers believed to vote for them ?...

I do not see elections soon, then ...

This news must puzzle anyone who previously thought that the PAD controls the Dems, or that the PAD were an arm of the Dems, or that both are controlled by the military.

Personally I can't see the PAD gathering enough votes to gain much influence, their role was to expose Thaksin/TRT corruption, and then latterly to react to attempted amnesties or whitewashing. Which they achieved well enough. But a political party ... no, they're too diverse a group, once you remove that key raison d'etre.

Wonder whether the Red-Shirts might be tempted to form a similar super-PTP party ?

They might very well split voters between Democrats and their own candidates and thus allow a third party win instead, ie 30% Dem. 30% PAD, 40% PTP.

30% PAD !!!!!

In your dreams

But it would be fun, from a schadenfreude point of view, to see them contest national elections.

Well there was a certain inevitability to this.

The put Abhisit where he is, and have discovered that he is not towing their line as they hoped. He has far stronger faith in true democracy than some gerrymandered Asian version. So, oh well, we will all get various lectures from Sondhi and Chamlong, and probably they will end up splitting the Democrat vote, and the country will be back behind square one with an even more useless coalition than we have now or an outright victory for a PPP reincarnate.

This has all the hallmarks of a bunch of spoilt kids throwing their dummies and going out to prove someone a lesson. I hope they fail miserably, because if the PAD get their hands on modelling the system as they see fit, god help this country.

They will only take votes away from the democrats. However, not sure it matters when it is coalitions that elect governments.

Coalitions that ELECT governments?

More like coup d'etats that SELECT governments, I should think.

Terrorists who seized airports (=plural) having their votes usurped by a party that had been installed by ....well, let's say..... indirect means?? Give me a break.

Correction:

"..if the PAD get their hands on modelling the system as they see fit, god WILL help this country."

I'm glad you quoted the name of the Almighty as "god" with the "g" in lower-case; it serves to separate religion from cultism, though I suspect you hadn't intended that to be the case.

In some areas they can easily get 30% of votes considering the alternatives. The mighty PPP got only 36%, afterall.

And most probably every one of them at the expense of the Democrats. The situation is so polarised, that if the PAD throw their hat into the ring, they can only hope to pick up votes from the Dems. You want to see an end to Thaksin's hopes of ever coming back? I would also prefer that he didn't come back, that they find a smart way to placate him and that the country can move on. Wanting the PAD to enter politics is an absolute red rag to a bull.

We all know where the vast majority of the PAD support comes from. I can see it very likely, that they could canabalise the Dems votes in Bangkok and a bit in the South, but could they get a single vote in the North or the Northeast. The people up there don't like Abhisit that much, but right now, they may be willing to give him a chance. Would they ever vote for anything even associated with Sondhi? In my opinion, not in my or my grandchildren's lifetime.

What does the new party stand for?

If it is just electoral reform...new politics, then it may not do very well.

Voters don't like 'one trick pony' parties in General Elections. Parties that campaigned in the UK on a proportional representation platform didn't do well in General Elections. Voters have broader issues on their mind, and electoral reform doesn't usually rank high.

What does the new party stand for?

If it is just electoral reform...new politics, then it may not do very well.

Voters don't like 'one trick pony' parties in General Elections. Parties that campaigned in the UK on a proportional representation platform didn't do well in General Elections. Voters have broader issues on their mind, and electoral reform doesn't usually rank high.

well look at the other parties: The Democrats have some ideas, but Chart Thai or the other smaller one have to program at all.

But half of the country anyway votes who hands out more money.

In 1994 Chamlong joined the government of Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai as deputy prime minister, also resuming leadership of the Palang Dharma Party.

He threatened after the election results were announced and Chuan was forming a coalition government that if he could not be Prime Minister, his party would not support the Democrats, so he was given deputy PM status to keep him quite.

In1995 he withdrew his support for Chuan Leekpai's government, forcing a general election, and immediately afterwards announced his retirement from national politics. He was succeeded as leader of the Palang Dharma Party by Thaksin Shinawatra.

Chamlong stood as Palang Dharma candidate in elections for the governorship of Bangkok in1996, but was defeated. The people of Bangkok had finally seen through this man.

In 2002 Chamlong Srimuang, joined Taksin's government as a special adviser he said at the time “I am not back in politics and I am not a member of any political party. I have come back only to serve the Nation.”and when he did not get his way he took the yellow shirts out on the streets.

Chamlong has always portrayed himself as a virtuous man but if you look at what he does and not what he says a different picture emerges.

If Chamlong does not get his way he throws a stage managed tantrum.

The people of Bangkok had finally seen through this man.

No, it's just that Bhichit Rattakul presented a fresh alternative.

Chamlong has always portrayed himself as a virtuous man but if you look at what he does and not what he says a different picture emerges.

No, it doesn't.

>>>>

I'm don't know if it's Chamlong pushing for a new party, on the national level Phalang Dharma never achieved anything, rural politics are dominated by local feudal lords, people there don't vote independently for whoever they like. Things have changed, allegedly, but I seriously doubt PAD will break into local politicians strongholds.

Twenty years ago Phalang Dharma was an alternative to Democrats but Dems have a lot better image now and PAD comes with a baggage.

Perhaps creating a new party will influence OTHER parties to consider PAD ideas, just like Dems picked up TRT's populist policies.

If they manage to make reforming politics a part of a national discussion, it doesn't really matter if they win or not, the society will move in the right direction, what more do you want?