Free Internet Launched At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

Free internet at Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK: -- Passengers at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport can now enjoy free Internet access while waiting to catch their flights, effective Thursday.

Thailand's commercial airport management authority, Airports of Thailand or AoT, and communication authority CAT Telecom, have jointly set up 126 Internet kiosks in all domestic and international passenger lounges.

According to airport director Serirat Prasutanond, passengers can use the kiosks to check email and surf the Internet free of charge.

It’s part of efforts to improve airport services. AoT also planned to replace upholstery in passenger lounges, and offer a free mobile phone charging service.

Suvarnabhumi International Airport aims to become one of the world’s Top Ten international airports in 2009.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-05-14

Free internet at Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK: -- Passengers at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport can now enjoy free Internet access while waiting to catch their flights, effective Thursday.

Thailand's commercial airport management authority, Airports of Thailand or AoT, and communication authority CAT Telecom, have jointly set up 126 Internet kiosks in all domestic and international passenger lounges.

According to airport director Serirat Prasutanond, passengers can use the kiosks to check email and surf the Internet free of charge.

It's part of efforts to improve airport services. AoT also planned to replace upholstery in passenger lounges, and offer a free mobile phone charging service.

Suvarnabhumi International Airport aims to become one of the world's Top Ten international airports in 2009.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-05-14

kiosk eh? What is this 1995? It's called wi-fi morons. Better faster, cheaper... Looks like transport minister made his first killing on an airport contract...

I noticed one of these in the departure lounge on my way to Sg last week. I didn't check for a WiFi signal there or elsewhere but if the terminals are only at the gates then it's not somewhere you'd want to while away the pre-boarding hour or so as it's after security screening and there are limited food/toilet facilities. Last minute email check at best if there isn't a queue.

I noticed one of these in the departure lounge on my way to Sg last week. I didn't check for a WiFi signal there or elsewhere but if the terminals are only at the gates then it's not somewhere you'd want to while away the pre-boarding hour or so as it's after security screening and there are limited food/toilet facilities. Last minute email check at best if there isn't a queue.

well if you want to do last minute urgent checking , there is a paid kiosk at the right end of the departure hall ......... i thinks its 80 baht or 100 baht for an hour ........... using one of those scratch cards

People actually enter their email/whatever password into a kiosk?

I just enter fake logins for nsa.gov websites so the keyloggers overload :)

but it is unwise to use there things for anything but checking news headlines or sports results

WOW, it's catching up with Khon Kaen airport which has had two free internet terminals for about the last two years (albeit very old computers and not very fast). Let's hope they've got some up to date radar equipment too.

Perhaps in another three years they might get around to installing a couple more toilets, especially for all the tourists who get food poisoning here...

Upholstery in the airport lounges is, at least, an improvement.

Dont think they mean the departure gate.

Reasons It will NEVER EVER EVER be a leading airport of the world compared to the likes of Singapore / Hong Kong.

1. Immigration procedure can be slow, unfriendly, dedicated a whole immigration section to FastTrack (15 desks) never seen more than 6 people in the whole area.

2. No Drinks/ Food available to purchase beyond security.

3. No Free Wifi (Giving free Wifi would cripple the infrastructure of Thailands Bandwidth hence they do not offer it)

4. Air Conditioning in Checkin / Immigration areas insufficient they thought with clever design they would not need it - Wrong

5. Hard Seats referenced above.

6. Theft from checked in baggage is a daily occurence.

7. Duty Free Scams

8. Taxi Touts

9. Take off your belt and sometimes shoes depending on who you get at security - nonsense.

Just a few starters. They will never achieve what they intend to be. HKG and SIN just no comparison, with SIN still in my opinion the best airport in the world and always will be.

Edited by namoo

Passengers at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport can now enjoy free Internet access while waiting to catch their flights, effective Thursday.

How about free internet on arrival - while waiting for the luggage or until trollies become available? :)

Free internet kiosk; this must be 20 years behind Singapore Changi airport.

WiFi has always been free in Swampy from day 1; but you must hijack the signal near the various Airport lounges.

Changi still has kiosks all around the airport. Their wi-fi is free but you need to register to be able to use it.

Their wi-fi is free but you need to register to be able to use it.

Just select your mobile phone to use Starhub dial *9434 and it will send u a login and password for free use at the airport hotspots.

HKG is just click and go on the PCCW wifi and you get 8mb connection - fantastic.

Edited by namoo

Not everyone travels with a laptop. I'll use the kiosks, if convenient.

I think the majority of people travel with at least one of either: Laptop, UMPC, PDA, iphone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile Phone, or most other internet enabled devices these days.

Edited by namoo

Free internet access at Swampy airport!!!! GEEEE WOWWWW!!! Sorry Mr Somchai your about 15 years behind Singapore(changi airport) where they even have a free movie theatre (assuming no Indians are sleeping on the chairs). I bet there is some scam that evolves out of the free idiot box service. Just you wait! Swampy has the most expensive 'duty free' i have seen anywhere in the world. Aiming for Top 10 ???? Dream on & on...........

Upholstery in the airport lounges is, at least, an improvement. Those metal chairs are uncomfortable and cold.

What the airport needs:

1.some soft upholstery for our bums

2. simple wifi throughout

3. a new location for the domestic, ie shorten the walk

4. allow affordable air-bridge use for EVERY airline, EVERY flight (this bus riding is something of the Wright Bros era)

5. some paint, the dungeon look is not user friendly

6. some industrial carpet to soften noise throughout

7. Brighter lighting on in the cave-like passages

8. more seating

9. 10,000 more toilets, better cleaned, and with bum sprayers

10. free water dispensers throughout

11. mute taxi touts,

12. jail for life for any taxi charging a flat fee (mandatory death sentence if refusing to turn on the meter)

13. to get the train running, but connect the bl88dy thing to the underground or BTS which is unlike to happen given the common sense that prevails in Mega Projects

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Suvarnabhumi International Airport aims to become one of the world's Top Ten international airports in 2009.

:D:D:D:):D:D:D:D:P

Top 10 Airports 2008

1. Hong Kong (China)

2. Singapore Changi (Singapore)

3. Seoul Incheon (South Korea)

4. Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

5. Munich (Germany)

6. Kansai (Japan)

7. Copenhagen (Denmark)

8. Zurich (Switzerland)

9. Helsinki (Finland)

10. Cape Town (South Africa)

Source: World Airport Awards

BANGKOK SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT Passenger Reviews

Link

Edited by webfact

Changi and Honkers have to catch up with KLIA and sister, KL_LCC.

Both have free WiFi on tap, just logon and it seems to be default, neva miss a beat.

Good onyers, Malaysians at KL airports, look after travellers.

Lotsa power points abound, in cafes, departure, all over.

At Swampy I have found an unsecured WiFi and power point, bin using it 2 years now.

One day sum <deleted> will put a password on it.......... grrrrr

Upholstery in the airport lounges is, at least, an improvement.

Dont think they mean the departure gate.

Reasons It will NEVER EVER EVER be a leading airport of the world compared to the likes of Singapore / Hong Kong.

1. Immigration procedure can be slow, unfriendly, dedicated a whole immigration section to FastTrack (15 desks) never seen more than 6 people in the whole area.

2. No Drinks/ Food available to purchase beyond security.

3. No Free Wifi (Giving free Wifi would cripple the infrastructure of Thailands Bandwidth hence they do not offer it)

4. Air Conditioning in Checkin / Immigration areas insufficient they thought with clever design they would not need it - Wrong

5. Hard Seats referenced above.

6. Theft from checked in baggage is a daily occurence.

7. Duty Free Scams

8. Taxi Touts

9. Take off your belt and sometimes shoes depending on who you get at security - nonsense.

Just a few starters. They will never achieve what they intend to be. HKG and SIN just no comparison, with SIN still in my opinion the best airport in the world and always will be.

Good list but not complete. You forgot,

Lack of proper security (example: the PAD airport takeovers).

Tobacco scam by people posing as officials in the arrivals area.

Parking is over-priced (see the emptiness of the long-term and short-term car parking areas for evidence).

Inadequate and potentially dangerous location of the long-term parking area. No crosswalks, sidewalks or pedestrian crossings.

No dedicated bus service to and from long-term parking instead travellers have to use airport employee bus service and it is woefully inadequate, impossible for those with large luggage or elderly.

Airport grounds controlled by 3 mafia groups (by Thai Police admission).

Cracked runways.

Leaking roofs (still in evidence as of last week).

Buses still used to ferry passengers to and from aircraft despite finger ports (docking stations) being empty.

Not enough finger ports to support growing use of large A380 aircraft (Suvarnabhumi is already at capacity with 5).

No dedicated LCC terminal.

Capacity already met. A further increase in passenger traffic will render the airport at maximum operational capacity.

Inadequate Duty Free allowance (not really an airport issue but a gripe nonetheless. Thailand allows me 1 litre of alcohol, most other countries allow 2).