Lightweight Backpack Sprayer

Finally I have given in and need to use some insecticides. We have a manual backpack sprayer that is not very efficient. Can anyone recommend a lightweight motorised sprayer that is not too expensive. We have about 5 rai of mixed fruit trees, jasmine , some vegetables and garden area. As much as we can, we plant companion plants for the bugs, but at this time of year its difficult to control it all. I'm also interested in other sprayer options. The local motorised bacpack versions are about 3,200 baht, but seem fairly heavy, especially with a full tank. Thanks.

Finally I have given in and need to use some insecticides. We have a manual backpack sprayer that is not very efficient. Can anyone recommend a lightweight motorised sprayer that is not too expensive. We have about 5 rai of mixed fruit trees, jasmine , some vegetables and garden area. As much as we can, we plant companion plants for the bugs, but at this time of year its difficult to control it all. I'm also interested in other sprayer options. The local motorised bacpack versions are about 3,200 baht, but seem fairly heavy, especially with a full tank. Thanks.

I can't answer your question directly without stopping by my equipment supplier to heft the different models and report back; but I'll tell you that they will all be close to the same, with the lightest probably being the more expensive imports due to high quality alloy materials.

Most of the weight in a backpack sprayer comes from the motor, frame and especially the liquid solution. 20 liters of water weighs about 18 kilos, so if it is too heavy for you, mix a half tank at a time.

I prefer a hand-pump backpack and have sprayed tree trunks with systemic fungicide solution all day long. ('sudden oak death' prevention in California), but I haven't found a backpack here that I thought would give the same efficiency as my Birchmeyers back home; my friend likes the Stihl brand). My supplier showed me an imported model that looked good, but it costs 2200 baht, which isn't much compared to my US$300 Birchmeyers. But I have a large tank sprayer (Blue Diamond 30-40 L/min, with Honda 6.5) with 70 meters of hose, and believe me it is sooo much easier dragging around some hose and a spray gun compared to lugging a backpack sprayer. But of course you have to pay for it. Once you get set up you can use the tank sprayer not only for pesticides, but for foliar fertilization, irrigation, washing of vehicles, exterior walls, walks and driveways and fire suppression, and as your trees grow up you can reach the tops. don

Edited by drtreelove

I can't answer your question directly without stopping by my equipment supplier to heft the different models and report back; but I'll tell you that they will all be close to the same, with the lightest probably being the more expensive imports due to high quality alloy materials.

Most of the weight in a backpack sprayer comes from the motor, frame and especially the liquid solution. 20 liters of water weighs about 18 kilos, so if it is too heavy for you, mix a half tank at a time.

I prefer a hand-pump backpack and have sprayed tree trunks with systemic fungicide solution all day long. ('sudden oak death' prevention in California), but I haven't found a backpack here that I thought would give the same efficiency as my Birchmeyers back home; my friend likes the Stihl brand). My supplier showed me an imported model that looked good, but it costs 2200 baht, which isn't much compared to my US$300 Birchmeyers. But I have a large tank sprayer (Blue Diamond 30-40 L/min, with Honda 6.5) with 70 meters of hose, and believe me it is sooo much easier dragging around some hose and a spray gun compared to lugging a backpack sprayer. But of course you have to pay for it. Once you get set up you can use the tank sprayer not only for pesticides, but for foliar fertilization, irrigation, washing of vehicles, exterior walls, walks and driveways and fire suppression, and as your trees grow up you can reach the tops. don

Thanks Don. I had another look today at a large local dealer, and yes there was not much variation amongst the sprayers. Like you I prefer a hand pump sprayer, but the ones I've seen are not well designed and a bit small for a large farlang. I bought one but ended up burning myself from some leaking chemical I didn't see. The weight issue is more for my wife. I'm trying to hold her back as once she starts to use a motorised backpack, she will want to spray everything in sight. In her Thai logical way she still thinks that you can splash the chemicals around all day, not worry about the cost, or the effects on other plants, and still make money from a few jasmine trees. If you could let me have your suppliers details I will investigate the imported hand pump.

I have also been told about the tank sprayer, there are a few locals here who use them - I will have a look there also. Regards.

Tim, First, I am concerned about your burn from chemical leak. You should have no reason to use anything that will burn you; old generation pesticides (organophosphates, chlorinated hydrocarbons, etc) are still used quite a bit in Thailand, but are being phased out by the newer less toxic alternatives. Pyrethroids like Permethrin or Cypermethrin are strong enough to kill most insect pests and are low toxicity for mammals. But you shouldn't even need to use those except as a last resort. For your safety and that of your wife, you should learn to use Integrated Pest Management and only low toxicity botanical sprays when needed. Look into the organic gardening subforum at the top of the farming forum page, there is a thread on pest management and Jandtaa has posted my article on IPM, to get you started.

Leaky backpack sprayers are common, and hazardous. All the more reason to buy a higher quality sprayer, and even then you should check the integrity of the fill cap and gasket every time you use it. Tighten all fittings and clean after every use to avoid corrosion.

The 2200 baht backpack that I mentioned is, I believe, imported from Italy if I remember right. It's probably not available at too many places.

I should have mentioned that the tank sprayer I told you about uses a lot of material unless you know how to select a low flow gun and throttle the pump down for minimum output unless you need more. The 30-40 LMP, 3/4" Blue Diamond is overkill for most applications, the smaller model is fine. I bought the bigger one (12,500 baht) to be able to use two hoses at the same time for commercial orchard applications.

Tim, First, I am concerned about your burn from chemical leak. You should have no reason to use anything that will burn you; old generation pesticides (organophosphates, chlorinated hydrocarbons, etc) are still used quite a bit in Thailand, but are being phased out by the newer less toxic alternatives. Pyrethroids like Permethrin or Cypermethrin are strong enough to kill most insect pests and are low toxicity for mammals. But you shouldn't even need to use those except as a last resort. For your safety and that of your wife, you should learn to use Integrated Pest Management and only low toxicity botanical sprays when needed. Look into the organic gardening subforum at the top of the farming forum page, there is a thread on pest management and Jandtaa has posted my article on IPM, to get you started.

Leaky backpack sprayers are common, and hazardous. All the more reason to buy a higher quality sprayer, and even then you should check the integrity of the fill cap and gasket every time you use it. Tighten all fittings and clean after every use to avoid corrosion.

The 2200 baht backpack that I mentioned is, I believe, imported from Italy if I remember right. It's probably not available at too many places.

I should have mentioned that the tank sprayer I told you about uses a lot of material unless you know how to select a low flow gun and throttle the pump down for minimum output unless you need more. The 30-40 LMP, 3/4" Blue Diamond is overkill for most applications, the smaller model is fine. I bought the bigger one (12,500 baht) to be able to use two hoses at the same time for commercial orchard applications.

Thanks for the concern Don. The chemicals we use come from father in laws recommendation, and he won't be changed. Especially by a farlang. Yes, I have been a bit slack about checking everything and I should know, as I have a farming background from Oz, and once had a student job making the stuff in the UK. I will have a look at the organic sub forum. Fortunately my wife is open to persuasion (a bit) about using chemicals, mainly based on cost, but its a mission to change the minds of people around here who wear masks with their backpacks, but use their machines while wearing shorts and sandals. I'm still looking for a hand sprayer, as I think that will probably meet our needs. Regards