Police Tried To Arrest Me

I was walking along the road (suk) area soi17 and I didn't see an ash tray anywhere so I put out my smoke in one the the lightpoles with the holes in the sides. Wrong on my part. I know this is not my country and I should have put it out and back in my pack. Next thing you know it's like I robbed a banks or something. I was hounded for about an hour. During that time while standing on the sidewalk/walkway I almost get run over by a motorbike. The police didn't care about that though because a motorbike could only harm or kill someone on a walkway. My cigerrette was a much more important issue. I had no money on me but I did have eye drops. Next thing you know they are trying to say I need a prescription for these and it's considered drugs. In front of me is a homeless guy peeing on a tree so I thought for sure they would arrest him and leave me alone. Thank God my lawyer was one block away and came quick to help me out of this mess.

The fact is you could have started a fire. This was a negligent act that put property and people’s lives at risk.

This is also a classic demonstration to the Thais how little respect some foreigners have for Thailand. That’s how they see it. Remember we are guests here; our stay is at the discretion of the Thai authorities. How one conducts themselves here can have knock on effects for all of us.

The police should have brought you to book over this and implemented a hefty fine, perhaps than this case would act as a deterrent to others.

The fact is you could have started a fire. This was a negligent act that put property and people’s lives at risk.

This is also a classic demonstration to the Thais how little respect some foreigners have for Thailand. That’s how they see it. Remember we are guests here; our stay is at the discretion of the Thai authorities. How one conducts themselves here can have knock on effects for all of us.

The police should have brought you to book over this and implemented a hefty fine, perhaps than this case would act as a deterrent to others.

if that is a classic demonstartion then Thais have absolutely no respect fo Thailand. It is one of the worst places polution wise (garbage). This is a scam money for the police plain and simple.

I dont smoke and i take my garbage with me but in this case i must say its a bit overkill.

only jerks throw anything on the street. granted there are few trash cans here but you can hold it till you find one. they should increase the fine and yes, i am an american

Are you saying most Thais are Jerks? Because most Thais I see just throw there trash on the ground,out the window or in the street.

I was walking along the road (suk) area soi17 and I didn't see an ash tray anywhere so I put out my smoke in one the the lightpoles with the holes in the sides. Wrong on my part. I know this is not my country and I should have put it out and back in my pack. Next thing you know it's like I robbed a banks or something. I was hounded for about an hour. During that time while standing on the sidewalk/walkway I almost get run over by a motorbike. The police didn't care about that though because a motorbike could only harm or kill someone on a walkway. My cigerrette was a much more important issue. I had no money on me but I did have eye drops. Next thing you know they are trying to say I need a prescription for these and it's considered drugs. In front of me is a homeless guy peeing on a tree so I thought for sure they would arrest him and leave me alone. Thank God my lawyer was one block away and came quick to help me out of this mess.

I wonder what would have happened if you just kept walking. BIB came up to me and started talking, didn't understand one darn word he said, so I just kept walking. After a few seconds he stopped following. If my wife was there, maybe I would have asked what he wanted but probably would have kept on walking.

They would do that Thai thing where they grip your forearm. I would definitely not recommend doing this. Do not make a minor issue a major issue unless you have some sort of back-up like influential buddies or a diplomatic passport (ha ha). You'd be much better to strenuously yet politely deny all their accusations. They would probably waste an hour of your time (and theirs too) but it would be a better ploy than simply ignoring them.

Thais in generally can be quite touchy (men on men). Thai police have no qualms about laying hands on farangs. They often seem to grab my forearm at motorbike roadblocks. It's an almost subconscious display of the power balance in the encounter.

It is known the City CODE inspectors are out and about in tourist heavy areas.

They are most certainly NOT police as they don't carry guns.

There is a group of them at the mouth of my Soi who stay in a small kiosk with their laminated engrish rules about the disposing of waste here in Bangkok.

They also have two or more 'field operatives' with radios who shadow suspected 'soon to litter' tourists, in hopes they can be apprehended.

The fine posted on a dog-earred laminate states in poor thai engrish there is a 2000 baht fine for dropping litter on the sidewalk, and that it goes up to 10,000 baht for dropping litter down the drain into the sewer system. I would most certainly NOT heed the previous poster who brainlessly suggested taking that route for disposal of errant waste materials.

The ones by my soi are a pretty good group of guys, only doing their job, which is btw; generating money from foreigners by fining them for litter infractions. I've sat near their kiosk for many hours as they've brought foreigner after foreigner in to read the laminate, write up the ticket, and then pay the fine. Most foreigners are only too happy to pay and be on their way.

As an aside, the BEST defense I have observed and one which has worked over and over is to say in any language OTHER than english that you don't understand english. The other language is not important and could be German, French, Swahili, even Klingon or Romulan for that matter. They will leave you alone, their grasp of engrish is tenuous at best, and any other language will leave them dead in the water.

I seriously doubt the O/P was in danger of being arrested, nor that he had to involve his lawyer to resolve the issue. I also don’t think he was in immediate danger of being black listed, deported and/or arrested; but taking creative license like that does make for a good, if boring read in mundane tales of "near death" encounters here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

Edited by tod-daniels

once i was fined 300 baht for throwing cigg bud on road,after that i always check around,before puting down.

they should make it 3000 its the only way guys like you will learn.

The trick is to pass this back to the Thais. If you have a lawyer then there is a chance you are in business out here. Just add the fine on to the price you charge the Thais and do like the post above suggests. Make the fee you pass on 3000bt. It's the only way they will learn.

Definate troll who is VERY familiar with the TV membership. Bring up the subject of smoking and watch out. You would think that smokers were kiddie molesters or sexpats on the prowl... There is a heavy hatred of smokers in this forum.

BTW I do smoke and if there is no ashtray available I just kill it and pocket it until I can find a trash can. All those mornings doing police call around the barracks in my misspent youth was good for something..

SMOKERS ARE THE DEVIL!! Worse than yellow, red, and blue shirts, rapists, thieves, the BIB, Abu Grabass, GITMO, George W. Bush, and Dick Cheney combined..

Definate troll who is VERY familiar with the TV membership. Bring up the subject of smoking and watch out. You would think that smokers were kiddie molesters or sexpats on the prowl... There is a heavy hatred of smokers in this forum.

What's wrong with sexpats on the prowl? Is that illegal?

If so, why haven't I been arrested yet?

Please, don't group me in with criminals. Littering is an offence. fuc_king is not.

once i was fined 300 baht for throwing cigg bud on road,after that i always check around,before puting down.

yeah you have to be careful esp around plonchit and soi 4 , as there are the ' boys in Green ' who are always out and about fining people ...

Don't throw your trash on the street! some poor sod has to clean up after your sorry a-ss

I agree but that sign,they should make it in Thai.Get off the poor guys back, He's walking around with every type of trash everywhere including human excrement, food, rats,,cig butts, beer and whiskey bottles, etc. Let's face it you just hate smokers. right?