Grafting

I have purchased several Bougainvillea and they are all grafted onto a stump.

Question: Since I have seen them grafted to huge stumps of trees in front of Thai houses which were obviously not Bougainvillea, what stumps will accept these grafts. I would like to create something like standard rose trees with some cuttings. My wife would do it since she used do it as a child for rubber trees at 4Thb a hundred....

thanks for any help ..

rgds

david

Question: Since I have seen them grafted to huge stumps of trees in front of Thai houses which were obviously not Bougainvillea, what stumps will accept these grafts. I would like to create something like standard rose trees with some cuttings. My wife would do it since she used do it as a child for rubber trees at 4Thb a hundred....

thanks for any help ..

rgds

david

Grafting of a plant can only be done with the same species. If you have seen a bouganvillea grafted to a tree then you have an important discovery and should document it for the journals of science. I suspect that what you have seen is the long term relationship of a bouganvillea planted very close to a tree, where over the years the tree trunk has grown around the bouganvillea stem so that it appears to be one stem. It is more likely that there is a cavity or codominant (double leader) situation where the bouganvillea has rooted in the decayed material of the cavity or in the space between the two leaders of the tree. Don

Indeed Drtreelove, sometimes strange things happen in nature

We have a number of Desert roses, the Missus loves them, with their distinctive stems.....

post-12326-1242450624_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, she does tend to overwater, but mostly they do survive.

One that was dying and going soft was planted in the soil in case it might recover and this happened

post-12326-1242450733_thumb.jpg

We now have a bougainvillea growing from the stem of a desert rose.

The stem has lost its softness and I would love to see it sprout again, but wishful thinking I fear.

post-12326-1242450689_thumb.jpg

David, I know that you describe the tree stumps as huge, but you may be surprised how large the stem of the bougainvillea can grow.

We have a number of Desert roses, the Missus loves them, with their distinctive stems.....

One that was dying and going soft was planted in the soil in case it might recover and this happened

The stem has lost its softness and I would love to see it sprout again, but wishful thinking I fear.

Thanks guys...maybe the big tree stumps did have cavities in which they planted the Bougainvillea .One day they were just stumps and the following month as I drove past they were covered on the tops ( the stumps were about 2metres high by maybe 300/400 dia. Probably go buy some big ones and prune em..they are cheap enough..thanks again.

david

Nice pics

David, I know that you describe the tree stumps as huge, but you may be surprised how large the stem of the bougainvillea can grow.

Yes we have few in pots ..I am the one that overwaters...they die (at least lose foliage) then they come back..aaah nature.

Why is when I plant seeds they come to naught but if I throw 'em after eating the fruit ,dumping veggie bits or whatever they grow...mmmm..black thumb..

Thanks guys...maybe the big tree stumps did have cavities in which they planted the Bougainvillea .One day they were just stumps and the following month as I drove past they were covered on the tops ( the stumps were about 2metres high by maybe 300/400 dia. Probably go buy some big ones and prune em..they are cheap enough..thanks again.

david

Nice pics

Hi David,

When you make a post can you please put it outside the quote boxes or highlight your text as it is difficult to see what you have added

Cheers

Edited by loong

thanks for any help ..

rgds

david

David, Bougainvillea respond well to pruning and shaping so you can create what you want from what you have, many people even form them into animal or bird shapes with the use of wire frames and judicious pruning.

David, Bougainvillea respond well to pruning and shaping so you can create what you want from what you have, many people even form them into animal or bird shapes with the use of wire frames and judicious pruning.

OMG Please don't tell him he can do that; You'll drive this old tree surgeon crazy. Natural form and beauty is the most pleasing to my eye, topiary is a crime against nature IMO, and high maintenance. Animal shapes out of plants? Ok, so something for everybody, but I hope its where I can't see it. And by shearing bouganvillea, especially at the wrong time, you lose so much of the color.