Airport/airline(s) Koh Samui

LaoPo

I have 4 basic questions:

1. For how long can BKK Airways continue to have their Monopoly, flying to/from Samui (since they own the airport/landingstrip)?

2. Can/will the Government force them to share the airport with other airlines?

3. How about the plans for a new airport in the south of the island? What's the latest news?

4. Will there be Int'l flights possible (Europe/Japan/Australia..etc..) on Samui in the near future?

Appreciate your answers

LaoPo

Laopo,

Sofar BKK airways has survived pretty well with all the treats of a new airport.

The latest I know is that the new airport is put on ice after BKK Airways agreed on the cheap 1st and last flights of the day to BKK.

The guy is pulling some serious strings to keep it this way, his BKK - Samui line is a goldmine and he knows how to protect it.

The guy is pulling some serious strings to keep it this way, his BKK - Samui line is a goldmine and he knows how to protect it.

I agree with you. The 'Dr' chap from BKK is a brilliant businessman.

Just found out that they are opening a new service BKK-Hong Kong, I think starting in April, 3 times a week with a direct flight!

Later they will open 2 more services with cities in China; Hangzhou amongst them.

LaoPo

• 2 weeks later...

You can fly Samui to Singapore - did it last year.

I hope they don't build a new aiport and start Int'l flights from everywhere - just look what that did to the Costa Del....... whoops, slip of the fingers, I mean Phuket. There's more than enough people on Samui now - don't want even more.

Still, I do wish they'd cut the prices properly though as it's a pain in the arse getting the train / boat there.

The talk of a new airport near Lipa Noi has been just that, talk, for more than 10 years already. Unless the Bangkok Airways guy loses some powerful freinds I can't see him losing his monopoly on the airport anytime soon & I can't see the proposed new one getting built in the next few years either, if ever.

He owns the airport, he can do with it what he will. I remember talk about a new govt airport last year, then the prices dropped with bkk air.

Also talk about an airport on Koh Phangan, haven't heard anything more tho. Not sure where it would fit???