Goodbye Ubc - Forever

ChiangMaiThai

Well after a week of testing the new Hulu Desktop on MAC I can say its well worth doing. Really is a great interface, quality programs and of course decent streaming here in Thailand.

I have tried it on Maxnet Premier and CXLoxinfo 4mb SME. Both work great on HIGH QUALITY in Hulu Desktop full screen.

I now have it connected to the LCD with DVI-HDMI from MAC MINI 1.66ghz 2gb Ram. Using Apple remote however u can use any media remote or the iphone with rowmote or Ipod Touch.

Use Witopia.com on their SFO server for best results.

The streaming/buffering/cpu overheads have all been improved on the Hulu Desktop software as opposed to their web based option. It is a major improvement in streaming/quality here to thailand.

Edited by namoo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using a combination of PS3 plugged into the LCD, TVersity feeding the media to the PS3 over WiFi and the usual BitTorrent sites to provide media.

TVersity also has a paid-for option which supports iPlayer and Hulu. However my True ADSL line is pathetically slow for iPlayer over the Witopia VPN (no surprise there - 4MB my arse). Question is - do I need a VPN for Hulu?

If I can get a decent live news feed streamed to my TV I will seriously consider ditching True, or at least scaling it back to just the Thai channels to keep the missus happy.

OK I have a question. I pay for my parents' sky service in UK. (Dad mad keen on football but 80 so doesn't go to live games anymore)

Do not have sky+ so no recording. I have CAT evdo card here. Download speed in Phuket of .8mbps here and parents have good broadband. Could slingbox work for me? Just don't want to buy it and then for it to not work. Would I have to upgrade to another faster ISP here?

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if the UBC red dish and the decoder can be used in the U.S.? I bought the DStv system for about 5000 baht for 32 free channels. There is no monthly charge.

I wonder if I take the system to the US, it will work. The problem I see is that the satellite is on the Thailand side, so my dish in the U.S. won't be able to pick up the signal because the two countries are on opposite sides. Since the red dish is stationary, I think it works with geosynchronous satellites, which always stay with Thailand as the Earth rotates.

Thank you.

Does anyone know if the UBC red dish and the decoder can be used in the U.S.? I bought the DStv system for about 5000 baht for 32 free channels. There is no monthly charge.

I wonder if I take the system to the US, it will work. The problem I see is that the satellite is on the Thailand side, so my dish in the U.S. won't be able to pick up the signal because the two countries are on opposite sides. Since the red dish is stationary, I think it works with geosynchronous satellites, which always stay with Thailand as the Earth rotates.

Thank you.

The dish will work fine in the US but the dish electronics and receiver will not provide anything other than free to air channels for you as it is limited to the 12ghz (Ku) band (u will need the password to make it work too). If you change the electronics and set top box you can use it with dishTV, directTV, rogersTV or the likes, but the cost their service with a 2yr or more package is even cheaper, so save the freight.

I am also wondering if someone that already using the world web television, can share his/her experience.

Is it possible to look different programs on two TV sets using their service?

What about live sport broadcasts? (a.k.a. tennis, american football, NBA, etc.)

What about some of the USB programs? (a.k.a. CNN, BBC, sports, movies, etc.) Can I choose CNN US or CNN International?

How many programs can be recorded simultaneously?

He just told you in that post, use Witopia with Hulu and you can watch it from Thailand. Google Witopia to see what it is.

Hulu blocks Witopia:

http://fwd4.me/4Ha

Following is response I received from Witopia regarding this matter:

Unfortunately, although we've gone to great expense

to continue to provide access they are aggressively blocking all VPN

and proxy providers now. We're working on it, but have no immediate

solution. We have some things planned that should definitely restore

access but they will have a higher price point than current services

and will take a month or two to develop. Sorry.

• 1 month later...

I'm running a slingbox straight off my parent's cable in the USA. Yes, it can be squirrely from time to time but overall, I am quite happy having made a one-time investment of $200 US and watching basically unlimited TV on my computer (anywhere in the world with a high speed internet connection) and sure I could network it to a TV is I really tried.

I agree....4000 Baht a month for a slingbox service isn't practical if you have a family member or friend who will hook a box up at their house for practically nothing.

There are other such devices out there also.

TV for me is rather useless without subtitles. I had just about given up on it until I found I could download movies or TV series free. Then it is rather easy to add subtitles That work on the computer or if you have a HD Box you can watch them on your TV. Got hooked on downloading and downloaded over 300 movies and about the same number of TV episodes in a 2 month period. I am able to download 5 movies at once and still use my computer as normal with a slightly slower download speed, Have TOT 4MB internet connection which cost me 790baht per month.

The Ryan HDBox was installed by the local computer guys (InvadeIT in Hua Hin. They also set up my torent downloading and set it up wireless as my TV is 3 rooms away from the computer and no easy way to hardwire together. The price of the box is slightly more than a DVD and you can get it with a Hard Drive of 1,000 GB or 1,500 GB. Once it is tied to the internet through your computer you can download directly to the boxes HD rather than your computer. Besides being able to select from the movies and TV shows you have downloaded you can also access youtube or CNN and other news via the internet. Can connect to any radio station you want, literally thousands to choose from.

It's a great system and other than the cost of the HD Box and the Hard Drive which is optional and the wireless the rest is free as I already had the internet connection anyhow. The movies available for downloading are recent releases and about anything you can imagine that has any demand. I've downloaded some of the oldies like Gone With the Wind, Casabalnca and Treasure of Sierra Madre. Plus most of the top 100 movies of all times (the ones that interest me) plus many of the Acadamy award winners.

The main thing for me on this is the subtitles which I don't know of any other way to get. Thai sub titles are less than worthless.

Happy viewing