Fax Modem Problem

opalhort

I had one PC in a shop for a HDD replacement (old one showed signs of problems and noise). The HDD was cloned to a new one and everything is working fine apart from the modem.

After I got the PC back Win XP did not "see" the modem. Re-seated it in its' slot and it appears to be working okay as far as diagnostics is concerned.

BUT: it does not detect a dial-tone. All cables and plugs have been tested and are fine. The modem does pick up the line as it shows up on an external phone (LED) that the line is in use but does not detect a dial tone!

I did make a mistake after I got the PC back by plugging the (phone)line into the phone outlet of the modem rather than the line-input socket. Could this have caused the problem?

Is a new modem in order and the easiest way out?

I'll try to attach the latest modem log .txt file (not sure if it works)

ModemLog_SoftV92_Data_Fax_Modem.txt

opalhort

Here's my recommendation -

Uninstall/reinstall the modem driver!

This should solve the issue.

In the old days when dial-up was around some modems

needed extra settings to detect the dial tone but I trust

this is not the problem you got. I still have a V90 running and

it doesn't need extra settings.

Try the installation

/addition: your log file seem to be written in Egyptian hieroglyphs... :)

Edited by webfact

I did make a mistake after I got the PC back by plugging the (phone)line into the phone outlet of the modem rather than the line-input socket. Could this have caused the problem?

Is a new modem in order and the easiest way out?

ModemLog_SoftV92_Data_Fax_Modem.txt

opalhort

No - there is no real output or input - it just makes the incomming line into two lines. If it does not make any connection sound then it is often a bad sign.

Modems are extremely cheap. And you even could buy a voice modem so that you can make phone calls and use your computer as phone answering machine. I paid for a voice modem Baht 229 (D-Link) and for a normal modem with fax Baht 180 (CNET). If you don't need voice then stick to fax only - some voice modems reduce the speed because they create additional noise.

I assume your modem is listed in the device manager.

You may have indeed experienced the modem was subject to a static shock which damaged the circuit where the phone cable attached. (wrong plugged)

Although your computer recognizes the modem hardware and can query the modem, the component that detects the dial tone maybe damaged.

Try my recommendation with a new install, otherwise an AT command. If this doesn't work a new modem or a visit to your repair shop is necessary.

As Johnxxx mention already, modems are extremely cheap.

Edited by webfact

Thanks for your replies.

Did an un- and re-install, updated drivers and even used a different PCI slot, all to no avail.

Modem is visible and working but no dial tone is detected.

Not a big problem, will just have to get a new one since they don't cost much theses days.

This modem is only used on this PC as a back-up for dial-up if the ADSL goes down and an occasional incoming fax which I like to get in .tif format rather than have the fax machine print it since I can forward it as a .tif file by e-mail to abroad at no costs compared to sending a fax using TOT or CAT.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

Have you got a splitter on your phone line? I was trying to send a fax last night and found that it wouldn't work without the splitter (if the ADSL was active).

Splitter is not an issue for this PC since the fax line is a dedicated TOT line. The modem does not work on any of our three lines (2TOT, 1TRUE)

The other PC is using our ADSL TRUE line over a splitter without problems.

But you are correct that you have to use a splitter on an active ADSL line for dial-up, fax and phone calls.

opalhort

The following is not related to the modem issue but probably also caused by the recent HDD change.

Just found out that my floppy drive has similar symptoms: BIOS and device manager can see it and report all okay but when I try to access the drive I get this error:

post-3742-1242639811_thumb.jpg

Any idea what this means and how to rectify it?

Did a hardware and driver uninstall and then re-installed all but no luck.

To me it looks like a hardware issue with the floppy drive, but would like to hear some info from the experts on TV.

Thanks

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

Just to be sure, by any chance is the box "wait for dial tone before dialing" (or some such wording) checked? The dial-tone in Thailand is "non-standard" and may not be recognized by some modems.

Just to be sure, by any chance is the box "wait for dial tone before dialing" (or some such wording) checked? The dial-tone in Thailand is "non-standard" and may not be recognized by some modems.

Yes the box is checked, did uncheck it with same result.

Anyway it has been working with the box checked for years so I don't think this is an issue and also it works on all our other PCs with the box checked.

opalhort

The following is not related to the modem issue but probably also caused by the recent HDD change.

Just found out that my floppy drive has similar symptoms: BIOS and device manager can see it and report all okay but when I try to access the drive I get this error:

post-3742-1242639811_thumb.jpg

Any idea what this means and how to rectify it?

Did a hardware and driver uninstall and then re-installed all but no luck.

To me it looks like a hardware issue with the floppy drive, but would like to hear some info from the experts on TV.

Thanks

opalhort

check the BIOS configuration to make sure the floppy drive is enabled. (reboot computer and boot into BIOS setup)

Take a look at this site: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-causes-the-er...isk-failure.htm

Trust you can find additional help there.

check the BIOS configuration to make sure the floppy drive is enabled. (reboot computer and boot into BIOS setup)

Take a look at this site: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-causes-the-er...isk-failure.htm

My BIOS does not have an option to enable/disable the floppy but the floppy (drive A) does show up in the Bios main screen.

opalhort

My BIOS does not have an option to enable/disable the floppy but the floppy (drive A) does show up in the Bios main screen.

opalhort

do you have another FDD on hand or can you install your drive into another computer to check if it works there?

I ain't use Floppy for a long time but remember I replaced my drive 3 or 4 times.

You can try with another disk. (disk density).

I just managed to get the floppy drive running. it can now read the directory but when I try to open a file -> "please insert disk" error

Formatting is almost okay until the end when I get "Windows can not complete formatting"

In properties I get 0 bytes used and disk not formatted.

Even new disks have the same problem

Strange! I guess a new drive is in order.

opalhort

Do you have a option called something like "Pulse or Touch Tone dialing", it sounds for me that you try to dial with a Pulse signal on a Tone network... (Pulse dial doesn't work on most telephone networks in Thailand)

No, there is no option in modem settings about pulse/touch tone dialing in the modem settings.

It is not only outgoing calls. When I call the number to the modem from a phone (different line of course) I get a busy signal. The setting is to pick up the line after two rings.

opalhort

edit (add info):

when I dial out through the modem I can hear the dialtone on the modem speaker yet the modem reports 'no dial tone'

Edited by opalhort

I just managed to get the floppy drive running. it can now read the directory but when I try to open a file -> "please insert disk" error

Formatting is almost okay until the end when I get "Windows can not complete formatting"

In properties I get 0 bytes used and disk not formatted.

Even new disks have the same problem

Strange! I guess a new drive is in order.

opalhort

I have seen so many floppy drives stopping to work just because of rust. This seems to build up on some Chinese quality products here in this wet weather if they are not used very often.

Take an already damaged floppy and try again and again. Then take a good one. If it still does not work - I would buy a USB floppy. Can be used on any computer - notebooks included. But what do you want to do at all with a floppy disk? It is history.