Cool new voice app

phazey

Guest IT Manager

Have you used it on Satellite based internet supply?

Does it work on PC to phone?

Does it work on Mac

In the meantime I will download it now.

Thanks for the lead.

I'm bumping this topic - mainly because it seems like such a useful FREE application and doubtless there are fourm members who would well benefit from this.

Skype (made known by the Phabulous Phazey) is a free, Peer-to-Peer voice call application.  It's like a messenger service, except you talk instead of typing.  Once you register, you have a username - as soon as you find someone else's username (friend etc on the other side of the world), and they are on line - you hit connect, and presto!  Free phone call.

Seeing numerous posts by folks complaining about the lack of VoIP services - I would like to know if anyone in LOS has success using this to an outside country.  This seems like a better alternative to most.

good luck

Yes - and may I say

GOD BLESS PHAZEY

Or Buddha Bless Phazey, depends on your particular religion.

and not only is he my ISP, but thank heavens also my very good mate. :o

Anwyay = getting back on topic - let us know how you all go if you try this Skype voice app......

Thanks for the info about skype.

I tried it from Thailand to outside. It is working well and the sound is clearer than a normal phone call.

Prev, I used MSN with WebCams etc. It is good to have a web came. But many times, it is too slow. Also the sound is not very clear like skype.

Anyway, I would love to avoid Microsoft Applications as much as I can.

Do you think this will work in Linux?

Does any one know any Software package similar to MS Office developed by any company, other than Microsoft.

But the work files generated, should be able to open from MS Office as well.

Thanks..

Not tried this yet, but I always have used MSN messenger with video (web-cam), never had a problem UK-Thailand its great to see who you are talking too.

When you get to try it give me a call.

I am registered with my real name which I am not giving here but I think you know it.

Guest IT Manager
Are you saying that Yahoo & MSN video will not work for you?

Or that Yahoo & MSN do not work at all on you Sat connection?

Are you using Ipstar?

I am thinking of getting this.

Hi Kelly

IpSTAR works but there is a current problem that makes VoIP a tad problematical. Sometimes it's OK, and for 6 months it hasn't been good. Before that, ising IpTV it was fine. It is being worked on at the moment by Shin Satellite Staff :o  :cool:  :D

• 3 months later...

Hows this work for dialup? We have dial up (usual speed around 42.6) and my parents have broadband. We tried using msn messenger last year, sometimes it was good, sometimes the delay was terrible. Usually it was clear enough, just terrible delays. I guess this has to do with our computer using dial up. Would skype work better for this?

And no, no chance of broadband here. No plans to install it either I have heard.

Hows this work for dialup? We have dial up (usual speed around 42.6) and my parents have broadband. We tried using msn messenger last year, sometimes it was good, sometimes the delay was terrible. Usually it was clear enough, just terrible delays. I guess this has to do with our computer using dial up. Would skype work better for this?

And no, no chance of broadband here. No plans to install it either I have heard.

Why you don't hook up and call me, and we could make a performance test. PM me for my user id.