Kawasaki D-tracker/tiger Rs250 Comparison/info

Hey guys, I'm trying to get as much info as possible pros/cons, prices, opinions, etc on the Kawasaki D-tracker/KLX and the new Tiger RS250. Preferably from either dealers or owners please.

Thanks for anything you can tell me.

John

Hi John,

I own the tiger boxer 250 rs and have tested the d-tracker & klx as well...the reason why i bought the boxer.

Best performance as allrounder, Better pillion seat, seating position , the torque on the Boxer is actually quite amazing, driving the boxer in town is really great...i think it's even easier to "slalom" with it than a honda wave...driving it out of town gives enough speed and enough power to overtake too. Easy acess to spares...i am not talking about bulbs or the "regular "parts....but if you need something "unusual" it will never take more than a few days...try this with an honda,yamaha,kawasaki...the boxer runs on e10 (gasohol 95 & 91) and also E20 .

Tiger used to be the manufacturer of kawasaki Bikes prior to '97....so you have some good people behind the built.

Whats speaks for the klx/dtracker....nice dirtbike looks , nice speedo, great fun for offroad driving, high seating position

All in all the bike i looked for was an allrounder so i was already merely leaning towards the Boxer....i did compare the bikes about 2 month back but it really depends what you look for they all have their own benefits...

hope that helps,

mbox

Hey guys, I'm trying to get as much info as possible pros/cons, prices, opinions, etc on the Kawasaki D-tracker/KLX and the new Tiger RS250. Preferably from either dealers or owners please.

John

Hi John,

I own the tiger boxer 250 rs and have tested the d-tracker & klx as well...the reason why i bought the boxer.

Best performance as allrounder, Better pillion seat, seating position , the torque on the Boxer is actually quite amazing, driving the boxer in town is really great...i think it's even easier to "slalom" with it than a honda wave...driving it out of town gives enough speed and enough power to overtake too. Easy acess to spares...i am not talking about bulbs or the "regular "parts....but if you need something "unusual" it will never take more than a few days...try this with an honda,yamaha,kawasaki...the boxer runs on e10 (gasohol 95 & 91) and also E20 .

Tiger used to be the manufacturer of kawasaki Bikes prior to '97....so you have some good people behind the built.

Whats speaks for the klx/dtracker....nice dirtbike looks , nice speedo, great fun for offroad driving, high seating position

All in all the bike i looked for was an allrounder so i was already merely leaning towards the Boxer....i did compare the bikes about 2 month back but it really depends what you look for they all have their own benefits...

hope that helps,

mbox

D Tracker (nice looking bike) wil be at higt teft risk, as i currently see that many motorbike rentals start using them. A Tiger Boxer noone will steal it.

Comparing the two motorcycles we first have to take notice that the Kawasaki D-Tracker is twice as expensive as the Tiger Boxer 250 RS. With this in mind we safely state that with the Kawasaki D-Tracker, you will not get a a motorcycle twice as better.

If we look at the Kawasaki 250KLX engine, we can find some remarkable finds, the engine is designed to rev around 9,000 but not over 10,000rpm (with standard configuration not going over 8,000rpm). This revving range is almost exclusive for SOHC two-valve engines, as it is known that at lower rpm's the SOHC system performs better. It is therefore a remarkable choice that Kawasaki went for a DOHC valve system. paultan.org

If we look at the Tiger and Kawa engine, we can conclude that they both are in the same performance level, with the D-Tracker being the slowest of the two, without modifications the D-Tracker will not go much higher then 110km/h. The Boxer 250 RS is by several owners on this board clocked much higher then 110km/h. On engine modifications, for both engines you can get enough to make you smile even wither. With the Tiger Boxer 250 RS being in the first phase of modifications probably the cheapest, as the Tiger uses a carburetor, and it sometimes seems that all Thai men know how to improve the performance of a carburetor bike. The performance enhancements for the D-tracker are overall much more expensive. For example there is a 300cc up-grade kit available, which costs almost the same as a whole Tiger Boxer 250 RS motorcycle.

The suspension Kawasaki on bumpy roads is almost flawless, this is probably something it inherited from its KLX250 off-road brother. For close cornering and tight traffic action I have the idea that the suspension could be a bit more harder. This is of-course fully adjustable. The Tiger's suspension is not at all bad, I can call it pretty good.

The only downside for the Tiger Boxer is the U-turn radius, this is for a bikes its size, larger then you would expect. The positive on this is that it makes a perfect touring bike, the Tiger is less nervous on riding a straight line...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Comparing the two motorcycles we first have to take notice that the Kawasaki D-Tracker is twice as expensive as the Tiger Boxer 250 RS. With this in mind we safely state that with the Kawasaki D-Tracker, you will not get a a motorcycle twice as better.

The only downside for the Tiger Boxer is the U-turn radius, this is for a bikes its size, larger then you would expect. The positive on this is that it makes a perfect touring bike, the Tiger is less nervous on riding a straight line...

Richard, as always, thank you for the disertation.

hope that helps,

mbox

mbox, any chance I can get a look at your bike?

John

I do sort of want an enduro for some exploring, but over all I'm thinking the Tiger will be a better choice. I have a Buell S-3 and an Honda XR650R in the U.S. that I originally planned to bring over here, but many things have changed my mind about that. $$$$

I was thinking that a Honda Sonic is sort of dual purpose, though a little smaller than I'd prefer, it'd be great in traffic, and parts/shops are everywhere that can work on them, even in Europe and all surrounding Asian countries.

If I buy the Tiger RS250 or the Honda Sonic, rather than the Kawasaki, then I can afford also a second 2 wheeler as well.

Maybe a Yamaha Nouvo Elegance for sporting around local?

Commets/comparisons are very much welcome.

Someday I'll still probably ship my Buell S-3 over too.

John_Buell_S3.bmp

I do sort of want an enduro for some exploring, but over all I'm thinking the Tiger will be a better choice. I have a Buell S-3 and an Honda XR650R in the U.S. that I originally planned to bring over here, but many things have changed my mind about that. $$$$

I was thinking that a Honda Sonic is sort of dual purpose, though a little smaller than I'd prefer, it'd be great in traffic, and parts/shops are everywhere that can work on them, even in Europe and all surrounding Asian countries.

If I buy the Tiger RS250 or the Honda Sonic, rather than the Kawasaki, then I can afford also a second 2 wheeler as well.

Your BUELL looks great.

FV

He John,

You can always contact Tiger and ask what special discounts you get if you buy a Tiger Boxer 250 RS and a Tiger CX135 SM, the CX135 SM is a sort of a motard style underbody motorcycle with several frame and suspension enhancements... CX135SM.jpg

Even if you get no discount, this two motorcycles will increase your happiness more, and your wallet less, then a single Kawasaki D-Tracker

Edited by Richard-BKK

I do sort of want an enduro for some exploring, but over all I'm thinking the Tiger will be a better choice. I have a Buell S-3 and an Honda XR650R in the U.S. that I originally planned to bring over here, but many things have changed my mind about that. $$

buy a d tracker and a spare set of 18+21" wheels, they will go straight on the d tracker with no mods needed, i have just sourced the wheels to a guy that did just that ,.best of both worlds,

Nice Buell

I bought the DTracker primarily for the suspension travel as a city bike; if I wanted to do the swapping wheels route wouldn't it be better to buy a KLX, than get motards wheels for it?

Currentlly trying to convince my misses that the BoxerRS would be a better choice than the Phantom for her. Only ever seens one at the dealship past the train station, anyone know the availability if a 250RS in Chiang Mai?

Your BUELL looks great.

FV

Thanks. I did all the work myself. It sounds great too, but it's just so loud that it will drown out even a gunshot. When I go home I will try repacking the Vance & Hines muffler to quiet it down, then work on bringing it over. It'll be great for the big bike rides. Notice the Pirelli Dual sport tires on it? Those came on the BMW GS1100 Enduro. Work great on my Buell. 2nd Set already. Can I get a "woo woo"?

John

post-72010-1242621075_thumb.jpg

post-72010-1242621154_thumb.jpg

post-72010-1242621163_thumb.jpg

post-72010-1242621186_thumb.jpg

He John,

You can always contact Tiger and ask what special discounts you get if you buy a Tiger Boxer 250 RS and a Tiger CX135 SM, the CX135 SM is a sort of a motard style underbody motorcycle with several frame and suspension enhancements... CX135SM.jpg

Even if you get no discount, this two motorcycles will increase your happiness more, and your wallet less, then a single Kawasaki D-Tracker

Thanks Richard, that's kind of a cool little bike. I'll have a look when I go to Phahon Yonthin later. Seems like it would be good option for a 2nd ride.

I have friends that come to visit me here, that's why I'm inclined to go the 2 bike route for less money than 1 bike as it would be with the D-Tracker. Once my Buell makes it here, then I think a KLX would make a great partner for it. Maybe even keep the scooter for,...er, scooting around!

Rather than get into changing tires, I've found that a good set of dual sports is much easier and just as good, just refer to my Buell photos and see those awesome Pirelli's I've got. They've been questioned and challenged several times, never lost yet. Excellent excellent excellent results with those.

He Fishenough,

To make it very easy, if my wife every wanted I Honda Phantom AT200 I would start to point out that the Phantom is a danger on the road. It handles like mud on a dry day. The large wheel makes turning very unpredictable, especially for beginners and riders who did owned a light scooter or bike before, also the position of the weight doesn't make it must easier.

Talking about weight, the Honda Phantom has about 20kilo extra weight then the Tiger Boxer 250 RS with about 10 horsepower less to pull it.

Second the future of the Honda Phantom is very unclear, it is likely that it would soon be replaced or abandoned by Honda....

• 2 weeks later...

John

John,

There are some good posts on gt-rider.com in relation to the Kawasaki D-Tracker.

They are priced new at 149,900 baht which is very reasonable and there are dealers all over Thailand, again, see the above site for info.

Hope this is of help

hi John,

the first question you have to ask what do you want to use the bike for?

If you wanna go off road you better off with the kawa. If you want go cruising buy a boxer.

i rode a BMW adventure before this is also an allrounder off-road bike for tracking around in Europe.B4 you ship your BUELL look around first who can service that bike.Cos thai craftmanship isnt really from high level.

personally i own a Tiger boxer 250 Rs and is for me the best bike available in Thailand. Dirt cheap mantenance ,never fails, fuel flexible , and only half the price ,3 yrs warranty with a max of 30000kms .

Many other information had been written b4

Charlie

Should be pointed out (if you haven't already made your purchase John) that a persons size would be a factor on deciding between these bikes.

At a 180cm+, with a long torso, felt the boxer would be too cramped for myself; but my wife at 156 cm it's an ideal fit/match. Heck the D-Tracker was a tight fit on longer rides, made better with a 2" thicker seat and loosing the thick (and too soft for offroad) rubber foot peg cover. Think the balance may have been shifted from a very nice Phantom advertised here, and quite glad it's the rainy season or else a purchase would have happened immediately. :)