Interest On Money In Thai Baht

Given the volitility in my home currency(Canada), I was wondering if foreigners can buy any investments that pay interest here in thailand?

yes they can, including bonds, term deposits, and your basic savings account ... but don't get too excited about the interest rates on offer at the moment

i finally put my thai savings into siam commercials' fund book account

initially i was told about 2 %

i doubt i am getting anything near that

when i check my account online there is a disclaimer that the fund is not completely safe

i asked at a head branch for a prospectus but they told me it is only avaiable in thai

how risky is this fund book account and how risky in general is it to keep cash in a thai bank account???

many of us need to keep at least 800,000 here which is a significant chunk of cash IMHO

when i check my account online there is a disclaimer that the fund is not completely safe

i asked at a head branch for a prospectus but they told me it is only avaiable in thai

how risky is this fund book account and how risky in general is it to keep cash in a thai bank account???

many of us need to keep at least 800,000 here which is a significant chunk of cash IMHO

I also have money in these funds.

Yes the rate has gone down. :) Every month the bank sends a breakdown of how the funds are put together and the return. For example the SCBSFF fund has 49% invested in bonds guaranteed by the Ministry of Finance, and 48% invested in financial institution money market and fixed income bond instruments.

There is always the possibility of one or more of the bond issuers defaulting or going insolvent, which would result in a capital loss to the fund. But the SCB has a good reputation and I think the funds are reasonably safe. Apart from the government bonds, the biggest holdings are with the Government Housing bank 8% and Krung Thai Bank 7%.

There is one big question though, I suspect that we are no longer "depositors" but "investors", so if the SCB goes tits up, which I don't think will happen, we could possibly loose the lot....

After the UK banking debacle I have evenly distributed my money over the four largest banks in Thailand.

Yes the rate has gone down. :) Every month the bank sends a breakdown of how the funds are put together and the return. For example the SCBSFF fund has 49% invested in bonds guaranteed by the Ministry of Finance, and 48% invested in financial institution money market and fixed income bond instruments.

There is always the possibility of one or more of the bond issuers defaulting or going insolvent, which would result in a capital loss to the fund. But the SCB has a good reputation and I think the funds are reasonably safe. Apart from the government bonds, the biggest holdings are with the Government Housing bank 8% and Krung Thai Bank 7%.

There is one big question though, I suspect that we are no longer "depositors" but "investors", so if the SCB goes tits up, which I don't think will happen, we could possibly loose the lot....

After the UK banking debacle I have evenly distributed my money over the four largest banks in Thailand.

Go to Cambodia , all bank make fixed deposit (1 year) in currency around 7 %. take a look on Acleda Bank

Go to Cambodia , all bank make fixed deposit (1 year) in currency around 7 %. take a look on Acleda Bank

Cambodia? your kidding right? we need to keep 800,000 IN Thailand for visa purposes... I'm looking for a safe haven too with a little interest