Best Thai Seafood Restaurant At Best Cost In Cm With Best View?

gatorhead333

well i will not post what i feel to be the best view ,best cost ,best Thai seafood restarant until others have spoke, this thread will be mellow i am sure since farang competition does not really exist /apply. I love thai seafood dishes and this simple fact is one of my reasons for living here .. please people that love thai seafood and eat at chiang mai's finest /tastiest let us all know... extra points for the best view over and beyong the best food at the best cost.... i think i have got what to me and my two friends is the best and has a terrrific view to boot but not to stir up the curry pot yet..i do want to try new places

please if more than one... list away but try to give indication of cost.cheap,medium range, expensive

i wll try everyone .. did i say i love thai seafood dishes the real deal at a good deal with beautiful views....

Edited by gatorhead333

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a personal policy. I do not eat seafood, except shrimp and sushi in Chiang Mai restaurants. I travel enough to Bangkok and the beach to get my fix. If you've a suggestion that could lead me to change my policy, I'd love to hear it.

There is a very good Thai restaurant that serves lots of seafood, but other stuff too, next to a waterfall and overlooking a lake in the mountains directly behind the Chiangmai Zoo. They do some deep-fried whole fish that are excellent, and the view of the lake and forest below, with the city of Chiangmai beyond and below, is stunning. As I recall, it's not expensive, although it may be at the expensive end for the kind of restaurant it is. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the place. Giving directions on how to get there is an iffy proposition, but I'll try. Take Suthep Road by Chiangmai University in the direction of Doi Suthep. When you get to an intersection immediately after which the gradient of the road you're on will go steeply up, turn right at the intersection (that is, before the gradient increases). Follow the road until you get to the back entrance of Chiangmai Zoo, go in the entrance, but immediately turn left (instead of going straight on in to the zoo). The guards may question or challenge you as you enter, but if you signal or tell them that you are going left to the restaurant, you should have no problem. Just follow the narrow little as it winds and goes steeply up and down, for a kilometer or two, and you'll find the restaurant on your right. After you've gone in the back entrance to the zoo, and turned left, it's a you-can't-miss-it deal.

Edited by Rasseru

. . . this thread will be mellow i am sure since farang competition does not really exist /apply. . . .

You misjudge, I think, the tendency of farang to act and speak in, shall we say, other-than-mellow ways. :)

In my humble opinion, eating seafood should be done at the seaside, not 750 or more kms up the road.

...only to find out that the seafood at some seaside restaurants again comes from another 750 or more kms away, and that the prices are actually higher than at Chiang Mai seafood resraurants.

I always liked Andaman in Chiang Mai, but they keep moving and I've lost them.

Note to all: This topic is about SEAfood. Restaurants serving farmed fried CP frankenfish such as pla thab thim need not apply.

There is a very good Thai restaurant that serves lots of seafood, but other stuff too, next to a waterfall and overlooking a lake in the mountains directly behind the Chiangmai Zoo. They do some deep-fried whole fish that are excellent, and the view of the lake and forest below, with the city of Chiangmai beyond and below, is stunning. As I recall, it's not expensive, although it may be at the expensive end for the kind of restaurant it is. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the place. Giving directions on how to get there is an iffy proposition, but I'll try. Take Suthep Road by Chiangmai University in the direction of Doi Suthep. When you get to an intersection immediately after which the gradient of the road you're on will go steeply up, turn right at the intersection (that is, before the gradient increases). Follow the road until you get to the back entrance of Chiangmai Zoo, go in the entrance, but immediately turn left (instead of going straight on in to the zoo). The guards may question or challenge you as you enter, but if you signal or tell them that you are going left to the restaurant, you should have no problem. Just follow the narrow little as it winds and goes steeply up and down, for a kilometer or two, and you'll find the restaurant on your right. After you've gone in the back entrance to the zoo, and turned left, it's a you-can't-miss-it deal.

Might that be Paalad Tawanron? The view is great. Food O.K.

Might that be Paalad Tawanron?

It might well be; I just don't know.

The view is great. Food O.K.

I guess I can't argue too strongly with that assessment of the food, overall, but I have had a couple of things there, including the deep-fried fish, that went beyond O.K.

The very best place I have been in Chiangmai for seafood occupies Buonissimo's previous location. Fantastic food. But again, I don't know the name -- do you? -- and there is no view at all there.

I'm a huge seafood fan too, but haven't found many places here in Chiang Mai. I'm following this thread with interest.

The best I've had I guess, for SEAFOOD, not river fish, is Phuket Seafood on the Canal Road north of Huay Kaew Road. Unfortunately it's so expensive that I won't eat there except for very special occasions.

Wish there was a good quality place that won't break the bank.

The very best place I have been in Chiangmai for seafood occupies Buonissimo's previous location. Fantastic food. But again, I don't know the name -- do you? -- and there is no view at all there.

I think it's called Similan seafood and the steamed grouper with soy and ginger is wonderful. Another seafood place I like is just about on the other side of the river from Buonissimos present location but I have never known the name. Entrance is through the kitchen and the restaurant is about as simple as can be with just a dozen tables, hand written menus and attracts predominantly Thai clientele. This one closes around 2100.

I think it's called Similan seafood and the steamed grouper with soy and ginger is wonderful. Another seafood place I like is just about on the other side of the river from Buonissimos present location but I have never known the name. Entrance is through the kitchen and the restaurant is about as simple as can be with just a dozen tables, hand written menus and attracts predominantly Thai clientele. This one closes around 2100.

Thanks, Mahseer, for the name. The other seafood place you mention liking is my second favourite in Chiangmai, and has an attractive view of the river. In fact, if I am not badly mistaken, I think I owe to you my introduction to both places. Like you, and very much like myself so far on this thread, I don't know the name of the second place either. My third favourite seafood restaurant in Chiangmai, and I am going to be characteristic now when it comes to naming it, is located on Chang Klan Road just past Bake & Bite when traveling from the Night Bazaar. Cheap, but no view.

Edited by Rasseru

My third favourite seafood restaurant in Chiangmai, and I am going to be characteristic now when it comes to naming it, is located on Chang Klan Road just past Bake & Bite when traveling from the Night Bazaar. Cheap, but no view.

I think it's called Uan He Ha or some such, and I'm not a big fan of it. It's not cheap either.

thanks dude, i have very high end clients coming up to CM this weekend,i am going to survey this before hand.... give it a try and try not to complain(joking) thanks!!

anybody who doesn't eat seafood inland in 2009 must be a moo cow eater anyway.....since we now have freezers in thailand not to mention fresh fish tanks with fish sweimming too and fro ..... but warning:do not eat those little thai clams .. even if they wink at you....

Edited by gatorhead333

My third favourite seafood restaurant in Chiangmai, and I am going to be characteristic now when it comes to naming it, is located on Chang Klan Road just past Bake & Bite when traveling from the Night Bazaar. Cheap, but no view.

I think it's called Uan He Ha or some such, and I'm not a big fan of it. It's not cheap either.

where is bake and bite?? and why not try giving your 3d fav seafood restaurant a name ?? how bout phone number then if name is a secret?

In my humble opinion, eating seafood should be done at the seaside, not 750 or more kms up the road.

In Thailand? only to find that its 10 times more expensive than eating in chiang mai. Kawan betul.

where is bake and bite?? and why not try giving your 3d fav seafood restaurant a name ?? how bout phone number then if name is a secret?

Coming from Night bazaar road, with Pantip Plaza on your right, proceed through the traffic lights straight on. Bake & Bite is about 50 metres on the left hand side. Giorgio's Italian restaurant is right opposite the road. The seafood restaurant is right after bake & bite.

You certainly have a style to you, gatorhead333. However, since I am so much in your debt for introducing me to Chez Marco, I'll say no more about that. :)

The Bake & Bite that I mentioned is about fifty or sixty metres south of the Night Bazaar on the east side of Chang Klan Road, which is the road that runs through the Night Bazaar and continues south after it.

I did not give the name of my third favourite seafood restaurant in Chiangmai not because I wanted to hide it, but only because I do not remember what it is (as was the case with all the other restaurants I mentioned earlier). I'm sorry, but I do not have a telephone number for it either.

[Edit to add that I see now that tigerbeer already explained where Bake & Bite is. I was pleased to see that my fifty or sixty metres matched closely his 50 metres!]

Edited by Rasseru

This topic is misleading. The answer is that it doesn't exist, besides the living in its past, Anusarn Market, and the numerous mud fish restaurants that serve shrimp that are really shrimp.

I've found very few places in Thailand where I enjoyed the seafood. Maybe it's because I'm spoiled living on the west coast of BC. I have fresh salmon, scallops, halibut, snapper, sole, crab and prawns any time I want it. With the exception of rockfish cooked in batter, I usually cook seafood myself because I prefer my own cooking to what I get in restaurants. And I much prefer it to the way the Thais prepare it. I've found that most Thais over cook or under cook the fish. And, they usually cook white meat fish that has very little flavour. Prawns and crab meat are best done boiled fresh and dipped in a mixture of butter and garlic salt.

I've found very few places in Thailand where I enjoyed the seafood. Maybe it's because I'm spoiled living on the west coast of BC. I have fresh salmon, scallops, halibut, snapper, sole, crab and prawns any time I want it. With the exception of rockfish cooked in batter, I usually cook seafood myself because I prefer my own cooking to what I get in restaurants. And I much prefer it to the way the Thais prepare it. I've found that most Thais over cook or under cook the fish. And, they usually cook white meat fish that has very little flavour. Prawns and crab meat are best done boiled fresh and dipped in a mixture of butter and garlic salt.

well, jst to let you know from my time spent at the big U , using MOST is called a blanket statement and you need to use some....

i seriously doubt you have eaten at MOST thia seafood restaurnats and you state this in not so many word in the above...

seconly .please we are not talking about all your fish in BC and nobody really cares what you prefer... I juts can not CONDONE this going totally off topic on my thai seafood thread> o.k. ? this is not ian's how i cook my BC seafood at home thread... and for that matter the gulf of t-land seafood and surrounding seas provide an abountant supply of fresh seafood.. obviously you either fo not know thia seafood or have not eaten much of it becusde it is the thai way or the highway once you are hip to the wonders of curries, and other thai mixtures of spices not used or found in BC much unless you go out to eat thai seafood.. we are talking about unigue here.... not the mundane... dipped in butter and salt ??? hey tell a thai that or me for that matter???? again your idea of what thai food should be?? lets stay on topic.. if u know a good thai seafood restaurant with good pricing and winderful virew POST IT!! cooking fresh fish in your kitchen in BC doesn't count!!

Edited by gatorhead333

For some reason I seem to get under your skin, gatorhead. I've never tried mocking you like you mock me. Maybe I should try it some time.

These are all seafoods I've tried in Thailand. Most often it was in the Pattaya-Jomptien area and I can't frankly say it compared well with other places I've eaten seafood. Maybe I just didn't go to a fancy enough restaurant. It was already more expensive than I pay at home. I like to compare food types I'm familiar with and I am familiar with seafood.

Sea_food_1.sized.jpg

Sea_food_2.sized.jpg

Sea_food_3.sized.jpg

Sea_food_4.sized.jpg

For some reason I seem to get under your skin, gatorhead. I've never tried mocking you like you mock me. Maybe I should try it some time.

These are all seafoods I've tried in Thailand. Most often it was in the Pattaya-Jomptien area and I can't frankly say it compared well with other places I've eaten seafood. Maybe I just didn't go to a fancy enough restaurant. It was already more expensive than I pay at home. I like to compare food types I'm familiar with and I am familiar with seafood.

Sea_food_1.sized.jpg

Sea_food_2.sized.jpg

Sea_food_3.sized.jpg

Sea_food_4.sized.jpg

mr ian,mock ? is that what i was/am doing? strong word this "mock".. i thought i was juts correcting you a little while trying to steer ideas back to thread topic,my intent was not to mock... i will be mre gentle with my pen...

and no not under my skin ,just stay on topic and please give us a hint of any seafood restaurant you have dined at in CM that you can think thus staying on thread topic before thread gets slammed shut!!! .. tomorrow or saturday i wll post my favorite seafood place in CM with photos of the treats there a place in chiang mai with the best prices and the most beautiful view a man could hope for.... i think you will appreciate the HOT tip!

I am just razzing you a bt sure,do not take offence and sure raz back all you care too... i do not care in the least..

but please lets try to stay on thread topic .

.. tomorrow or saturday i wll post my favorite seafood place in CM with photos of the treats there a place in chiang mai with the best prices and the most beautiful view a man could hope for.... i think you will appreciate the HOT tip!

I wonder if you will improve their business like you did Marco's?

I used to have no trouble getting a table there and now it is difficult to find one free. Not only that, but it is easy to overhear other tables talking about Thai Visa and toasting "Mr. Gatorhead". :)

.. tomorrow or saturday i wll post my favorite seafood place in CM with photos of the treats there a place in chiang mai with the best prices and the most beautiful view a man could hope for.... i think you will appreciate the HOT tip!

I wonder if you will improve their business like you did Marco's?

I used to have no trouble getting a table there and now it is difficult to find one free. Not only that, but it is easy to overhear other tables talking about Thai Visa and toasting "Mr. Gatorhead". :)

hey, this seafood place i know and truely love will blow you.. away....!!! i know mr ian and I will be at peace with this one and he will find it impossible to resist and once there all my rude jabs/"mocks" will be forgiven and forgotten..i like the cost ,the taste and some of the most beautiful views in CM !!!! the beautiful views will make a grown man's knees weak.... i need to wait until i have time to go there i want to take photos so all will understand the quality of this tasty place... oh how tasty this place can be...

Edited by gatorhead333

. . . Marco's? . . . it is easy to overhear other tables . . . toasting "Mr. Gatorhead". :)

Thanks for that. When I was there I could have sworn it was 'Mr Potaterhead' they were toasting.

dudely, at marcos you have mostly french toasting french but that is o.k. too. glad to share that place i had been there only a handful of times posted the marco thread as a goof just to see if same mean spirited, paniced restaurantures due to their failing bizs would blast away at poor,tiny , little marco place like they did the dudes in UG previous post the da before.... it was all total goof yet yeh the place is pretty darn tasty and cheap...and yes same thing happened even to tiny little marco in fact got personal with some morons wanting to beat him saying he was rude blah blah blah... what a lie all that was as anybody would see going to his place and seeing how kind and easy going with staff and customers ...unlike some eatting place bosses ... that guy is the most pleasant french guy i have ever met... of course he is the only french guy i have ever met.....

Edited by gatorhead333

My favourite seafood restaurants are located in Rayong province at Haat Payoon which is on the coast next to Ban Chang.

No fancy decor, just simple tables and chairs on the beach amongst the trees.

Always very fresh and well prepared and the price is local, about 1/3rd the price you would pay in some tourist rip-off joint in Pattaya, Jomtien, Cha-am, Hua Hin, Phuket, Krabi, etc.