Phuket Police: Aussie Arrest No Laughing Matter

george

The silly cow deserves everything she gets except the cash handouts from the Australian media.

another brainless comment from a total d**khe*d - hate to see your wife in the same situation haaaa - or u gay >> - you really dont know what u are talking about do u -- and the story from Steve Wood leave a bit to be desired - he claims she was abusive to police - ran down the beach and that he was not going to press charges - what a pack of crap -- according to the interview with the police commander - he said that the owner sic Steve Wood was pushing for charges to be laid and no mention about running down the beach drunk - being abusive - i can just imagine the scene in the police station - everyone from police to barstaff wanting to get their word in and yelling what ever about the big crime of stealing a "bar mat" - no need to stretch the imagination here -- other people have confessed to the crime - haa but no word of them being charge - but the lady who happened to have the damm thing in her bag when the moonlighting police got her - inside the bar mind u = strange also -= just what were police working undercover in the bar in the first place - maybe moonlighting as security -- ???

Conspiracy Theorists Unite!

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What happened has this sleezy Aussie owner got the police to put a little red police box there in his bar and pay them 1,000 baht a month for "protection" when the going gets tough and people won't pay up!

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Police can drink there for free and if incidents happen then they can take the offenders away and press money out of them. NICE THAILAND!

You live here? if not don't comment

I do! That's why I know what i'm talking about...and what others are talking about this bar.

It's so sad to see all those self-loving, ignorant foreign residents that comment like that. I just hope you're caught at some stage in a situation like that. Unfortunately, unlike this woman you know how to buy yourself out of it.

It was a 60 dollar bar mat maybe a weeks wages for the average thai, maybe a petty crime in OZ but not in thailand.

Would you be happy if someone stole your phone and the police said don't worry its only worth 60 dollars ?

What state do you think this country would be in if they said steal what you want as long as its under 60 dollars ?

She is a thief or her friend is a thief I am truly shocked at the people on here who think its ok for people to visit a foreign country and steal,

Not just a week, 2,000 baht is about equivalent to two weeks salary for a working class Thai.

No it isnt. the average Thai in Bangkok is earning around 10,000 baht.

Phuket and other lovely seaside towns are on around 7000 - 9000 baht + tips.

The women WAS wrong, fine her and be done with it. This is getting ridiculous, i cant keep up with the posts as i read page after page.

I HOPE THE THAI POLICE READ THIS QUOTE: AND THE TOURIST BOARD, I LIVED IN THAILAND FOR TWO YEARS WITH MY THAI WIFE HOWEVER WE HAD TWO WONDERFULL CHILDREN. AND I THOUGHT BETTER TO GET THEM TO THE WEST FOR A WHILE AND SAFETY, READ ABOUT THIS CASE AND TAKE HEAD ANOTHER MAN WAS JAILED AND DEPORTED A YEAR LATER FOR STEALING TWO TOWELS FROM A FIVE STAR HOTEL ON PHUKET. LOOK AT HOW MANY "SUICIDES" HA THERE ARE OF FARANG BELIEVE ME IT RUNS INTO THOUSANDS A YEAR ,HEADS HANGING IN CARRIAR BAGS ON A ROPE, PEOPLE WITH MONEY FALLING FROM A FIRST FLOOR BALCONY WITH EVERY BONE BROKEN IN THIER BODY, FALLEN OVER IN THE BATHROOM WITH MULTIPLE INJURIES, A FRENCH GUY GRABBING AN OFFICERS GUN OFF HIM AND SHOOTING HIM SELF TWICE TWICE IN THE HEAD, HOW THE FXXX CAN YOU SHOOT YOURSELF TWICE IN THE HEAD, I, MY FAMILY, MY FRIENDS, THIER FRIENDS WILL AVOID VISITING THAILAND FOR THE NEXT TWENTY YEARS UNTIL THEY GET SOME REFORM AND THE MILITARY COOS HAVE STOPPED, THEY HAVE TO STOP JAILING TOURISTS FOR PETTY CRIMES, YES FINE THEM PUT A WARNING STAMP IN THIER PASSPORTS, ALL THE THAI JUDGES AND LAWERS ARE EDUCATED IN THE WESTERN UNIVERSITEIS THEN WHY DONT THEY TAKE WESTERN JUDGMENTS, I WOULDNT LET MY CHILDREN BE BROUGHT UP IN THAT COUNTRY, ITS FAR TOO CORRUPT, TOO MANY BACK HANDERS, SMILING POLICE MEN I LOVE THAILAND AND ITS MONARCY BUT I HATE THE SYSTEM STAY CLEAR TOURISTS UNTIL THEY REALISE REFORM

Edit:

Please refrain from putting yuor entire text in cppital lettetrs. It is considered shouting - mario2008

"Thousands"??????????

the owner is definitely an a-hole or involved with the accused emotionally....

It seems you need to learn a thing or two about Thailand too.

Libel suits can land your behind in jail, so be careful with what you post.

As insults and non-factually proven allegations clearly fall under libel.

Edited by TAWP

Just on Australian TV news. This woman has faced court, found guilty, fined the equivalent of AUD $30.

She is said to now picking up her passport.

From the tone of aussie media I think they are going to dig out every negative story they can on thailand and just plaster same all over place.

I just heard from a friend that lives down there, seems Mr. Brown is the husband of the bar owner. :) I think most of you know where I am going with this. So I will stop short.

In this particular case no one has said the towel was NOT stolen so we assume it was. A drunk insult must have been passed and all it took was an excuse to exact revenge. :D

Yes revenge is a way of life in Asia especialy if one has an upper hand in pressing it. :D

Revenge is a dish best served cold!

I HOPE THE THAI POLICE READ THIS QUOTE: AND THE TOURIST BOARD, I LIVED IN THAILAND FOR TWO YEARS WITH MY THAI WIFE HOWEVER WE HAD TWO WONDERFULL CHILDREN. AND I THOUGHT BETTER TO GET THEM TO THE WEST FOR A WHILE AND SAFETY, READ ABOUT THIS CASE AND TAKE HEAD ANOTHER MAN WAS JAILED AND DEPORTED A YEAR LATER FOR STEALING TWO TOWELS FROM A FIVE STAR HOTEL ON PHUKET. LOOK AT HOW MANY "SUICIDES" HA THERE ARE OF FARANG BELIEVE ME IT RUNS INTO THOUSANDS A YEAR ,HEADS HANGING IN CARRIAR BAGS ON A ROPE, PEOPLE WITH MONEY FALLING FROM A FIRST FLOOR BALCONY WITH EVERY BONE BROKEN IN THIER BODY, FALLEN OVER IN THE BATHROOM WITH MULTIPLE INJURIES, A FRENCH GUY GRABBING AN OFFICERS GUN OFF HIM AND SHOOTING HIM SELF TWICE TWICE IN THE HEAD, HOW THE FXXX CAN YOU SHOOT YOURSELF TWICE IN THE HEAD, I, MY FAMILY, MY FRIENDS, THIER FRIENDS WILL AVOID VISITING THAILAND FOR THE NEXT TWENTY YEARS UNTIL THEY GET SOME REFORM AND THE MILITARY COOS HAVE STOPPED, THEY HAVE TO STOP JAILING TOURISTS FOR PETTY CRIMES, YES FINE THEM PUT A WARNING STAMP IN THIER PASSPORTS, ALL THE THAI JUDGES AND LAWERS ARE EDUCATED IN THE WESTERN UNIVERSITEIS THEN WHY DONT THEY TAKE WESTERN JUDGMENTS, I WOULDNT LET MY CHILDREN BE BROUGHT UP IN THAT COUNTRY, ITS FAR TOO CORRUPT, TOO MANY BACK HANDERS, SMILING POLICE MEN I LOVE THAILAND AND ITS MONARCY BUT I HATE THE SYSTEM STAY CLEAR TOURISTS UNTIL THEY REALISE REFORM

Edit:

Please refrain from putting yuor entire text in cppital lettetrs. It is considered shouting - mario2008

"Thousands"??????????

Many Many Thousands every day!!!!!

The silly cow deserves everything she gets except the cash handouts from the Australian media.

Why is she a cow? Why does she deserve everything she gets? Are you suggesting that the Australian media is paying her for her story? I'm American, but I totally reject your suggestion that she is being paid by the Australian media. Good for the press -what ever the country- for covering this most unfortunate incident.

And shame on you for your complete lack of decency and compassion!

Wait for the interviews and newspaper stories when she gets back home. I have compassion for the poor wretches abroad who have to deal with the likes of her. Just wait till all the facts are out - you will see - assuming the Australian media don't suppress what they don't like to hear, now that they've set the ball rolling in one direction.

Exclusive: Freed Aussie Mum Says: 'I'm So Glad It's Over'

By Alan Morison and Cutima Sidasathian

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Updating Exclusive Phuketwan Report

TRAPPED Australian tourist Annice Smoel is free to fly back to Australia and her four children.

Her court appearance, scheduled for Monday, was accellerated to this afternoon on Phuket.

To expedite the case, she pleaded guilty to a theft charge over the incident that saw her passport confiscated and put her briefly in a cell.

Edit: sorry, Phuketwan only allows us the use of the first 3 sentences and a link to the story.

story continues here: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/freed-aussie-...ays-glad-11137/

mario2008

edit...

While I was writing someone updated the story..

It's as if I was psychic, admit the guilt, small fine, a thai benefactor pays it, everything goes away and everybody saves some face.

Edited by Phats

So for once.. Thailand handled that pretty dam_n well no ??

They arrest a drunk thief.. Give her multiple chances to get out, she refuses and demands english speaking lawyers and english translations.. They let her cool her heels.. Bail her.. And her court case is expedited and shes fined a trivial amount..

Really considering her actions you have to say she was not treated badly.

From Phuketwan

Quote:

AUSTRALIAN mum Annice Smoel was given a six-month suspended jail term and a 1000-baht fine for theft in a court ruling today at provincial court in Phuket City.

The jail term will be stayed for one year and if Mrs Smoel does not commit any crime in Thailand for the year, her jail term will not have to be served.

She will be allowed to return to Australia.

Immigration officials were at the court to assist with the return of her passport.

More details coming soon.

Just on Australian TV news. This woman has faced court, found guilty, fined the equivalent of AUD $30.

She is said to now picking up her passport.

From the tone of aussie media I think they are going to dig out every negative story they can on thailand and just plaster same all over place.

Oh Bummer! I thought we had a matyr in the making there!

Yeh...you are soooo right. Do you have your halo permanently switched on??

The reaction is completely out of proportion to the "crime" commited. Have the TIB (Thugs In Brown) taken anyone of the murder cases of foreigners to devote time to this womans horrendpous crime?

Edited by harleyclarkey

Ovenman asked:

... internal protocol ...

Good heavens man! This is Thailand!! Internal protocol translates very badly into Thai and I'm 100% sure that most (not all) Thai BiB who come across a problem involving foreigners in Bangla Road couldn't give a rat's arse to call up for a foreign TPV to help.... it's a loss of face for them to have to ask a foreign TPV to help....

Simon

What happened has this sleezy Aussie owner got the police to put a little red police box there in his bar and pay them 1,000 baht a month for "protection" when the going gets tough and people won't pay up!

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Police can drink there for free and if incidents happen then they can take the offenders away and press money out of them. NICE THAILAND!

You live here? if not don't comment

I do! That's why I know what i'm talking about...and what others are talking about this bar.

It's so sad to see all those self-loving, ignorant foreign residents that comment like that. I just hope you're caught at some stage in a situation like that. Unfortunately, unlike this woman you know how to buy yourself out of it.

Me too that's why I can comment! I've had these Thais in my face since 1985... Lovely people people but they are all a product of the SYSTEM!

From Phuketwan

Quote:

AUSTRALIAN mum Annice Smoel was given a six-month suspended jail term and a 1000-baht fine for theft in a court ruling today at provincial court in Phuket City.

The jail term will be stayed for one year and if Mrs Smoel does not commit any crime in Thailand for the year, her jail term will not have to be served.

Immigration officials were at the court to assist with the return of her passport.

I hope they stamp her passport as an Undesirable no Return to Thailand.

Because we don't need SELF CONFESSED CONVICTED THIEVES causing us more bad press.

Thank you now go and collect your money from the Aussie press!!!!!

DIE YOUNG!!

The reaction is completely out of proportion to the "crime" commited. Have the TIB (Thugs In Brown) taken anyone of the murder cases of foreigners to devote time to this womans horrendpous crime?

Imagine how much she will get for her story once she is back in Australia from "A Current Affair", "Today Tonight", "4 Corners" .... is she looking for an agent... I can start taking bids...!!!!

From Phuketwan

Quote:

Considering the crime commited the outcome seems completly fair. After all look what was in the Bangkok Post today:

By: POST REPORTERS

Published: 20/05/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: NewsThe Civil Court has thrown out a case brought against the six core leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy over the yellow shirts' storming and seizure of Government House last year.

The Bangkok North Municipal Court yesterday sentenced four red shirts to three months in jail, suspended for one year, and fined them 5,000 baht each for causing a disturbance in the Din Daeng area during the Songkran riots.

The court initially sentenced them to six months in jail and a fine of 10,000 baht each. But their confessions convinced the court to halve the sentences.

You can take over a government building and not get in any trouble, or cause a riot and and get three months probation or steal a bar towel and get three months probation. As always the punishment fits the crime.

Imagine how much she will get for her story once she is back in Australia from "A Current Affair", "Today Tonight", "4 Corners" .... is she looking for an agent... I can start taking bids...!!!!

I'l give you $5 and a beer mat!

but I will tell the truth about the THIEF!!

Edited by ohdearohdearohdear

I have waited to comment but now I feel I must.

Thailand is a land of contradiction and when a prank turns into a serious police matter while other police down the road are illegally collecting cash fines from motorists who have done nothing more than pass a money hungry corrupt policeman, then there is obviously a problem.

Thailand is full of self serving, corrupt, bigots who pretend to be a police force, backed by an equally inept, inconsistent under the table bribe driven court system all presided over by a Government incapable of hosting an international political event.

Thailand is such a lovely place, with mostly lovely people in the hands of a moronic corrupt and immoral constitutional framework.

The media in countries, where this has been considered to a disgraceful abuse of a tourist, has been so right in highlighting the event. If it was ignored then the Thai police could feel they are free to continue their reign of abuse and corruption.

I look at the photo of the police chief in Kahtu and can't help thinking of all the money he shakes down from tourists, street traders, bar owners, shop owners, drivers, etc, etc.

The whole episode sucks.

Hey saw this lady and hubby on oz TV giving interviews... She is quite a looker! She wil get swamped with TV offers!

...I'm 100% sure that most (not all) Thai BiB who come across a problem involving foreigners in Bangla Road couldn't give a rat's arse to call up for a foreign TPV to help.... it's a loss of face for them to have to ask a foreign TPV to help...

I can't say that really surprises me any.

From Phuketwan

Quote:

Considering the crime commited the outcome seems completly fair. After all look what was in the Bangkok Post today:

By: POST REPORTERS

Published: 20/05/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: NewsThe Civil Court has thrown out a case brought against the six core leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy over the yellow shirts' storming and seizure of Government House last year.

The Bangkok North Municipal Court yesterday sentenced four red shirts to three months in jail, suspended for one year, and fined them 5,000 baht each for causing a disturbance in the Din Daeng area during the Songkran riots.

The court initially sentenced them to six months in jail and a fine of 10,000 baht each. But their confessions convinced the court to halve the sentences.

You can take over a government building and not get in any trouble, or cause a riot and and get three months probation or steal a bar towel and get three months probation. As always the punishment fits the crime.

There you go. As I have said here for ages....one law for the foreigner and one for our people. A racist system.

Hey saw this lady and hubby on oz TV giving interviews... She is quite a looker! She wil get swamped with TV offers!

Sorry but you miss spelt lady should be "Self confessed convicted thief" And most badly informed news papers and TV stations will also make the same mistake as your good self.

Edited by ohdearohdearohdear

Its an absolute disgrace, and I feel very sorry for this Woman.

why - she is a thief :)

No she aint - her friend said that she did it..

How can she be a Thief when her friend said that she did it ???

Who did not do anything when the incident happened there and then, but very conveniently just "confessed" when her friend did have to spend the night in jail.

As such it might just be a friend trying to help a friend out of a jam by telling a "small" lie.

Who knows..she might have stolen it, her friend might have put it in her bag as a joke..she might have know or not know about the "joke" .

But if she tried to run away from the cops as reported..its more than likely that she did steal it herself or were part of a plan to do it together with her friend(s).

There are a lot of "Who Knows" in this post.

Who know you might be the guy who robbed the bank across the street? Maybe we should all just declare your are guilty. OK!