Regional Thai Food

srisatch

What is the regional, local, Jangwat food speciality of where you are?

When my wife went to the UK for the first time, and we went to a Thai Restaurant, she said ‘What is this rubbish food?’

I said: ‘It is what people here think is Thai Food.’

When she saw the bill she blanched and said: ‘Enough money for my family eat for two months.’

=And they are rich!

Here we eat so well I cannot credit it. Mama and wife cook like angels.

BUT

I asked, about lots of things they cooked: ‘ What kind of food is this?’

‘Thai food’

‘But they don’t eat this in Bangkok’

‘Of course not; it is Sukothai Food’

Set me thinking…once upon a time no-one in the UK knew the difference between Beijing cooking and Szechuan cooking, nor between N..India and S. India Food

Here it is Sukothai Noodles + a LOT of Sugar!

If I understand it a little bit.. demotic Thai cuisine, ie. not the Court variety, evolved through Indian, Burmese, Chinese..particularly Haka and Cantonese, and Lao and Malay influences, according to location, but capitalising on indigenous ingredients.

I have eaten wonderful Haka food—best outsde Phuket airport, amazing crustaceans in Ubon, and stunning Kaeng Luang in Satun….but I don’t really know what is the central feature of the cooking of each Jangwat..do you?..does the gf/wife/mama/?

76 Entries needed at least!!

We could do the Thai Visa CookBook, have Jamie cook it, better than Samak and Macwhatever, and give some ££$$ to someone who wants/needs it!

• 2 months later...
Northern dish Cow Soi is very good and I do miss it.  Noodles and curry soup.

Nowaday and everywhere mix with ppl from many parts of thailand. The old days we used to have typical region food as for central thailand, from Bkk to outskirt we ate more thai curry like Gaengphed with coconut milk or we eat Nam Prik Platoo with boiled veggi , or we eat moslem food like Musamann Beef with rice ( yummi ...you can eat with white bread too ) and as in most central of Bkk , living so many chinese, so we enjoy eating chinese food too. Like all noodle soup and roasted duck ( Phed Yang ) Khao Mun Gai...thais enjoy tasting other food, we enjoy eating moslem food, chinese food and now european food, japanese food. As ppl from north eastern tried to work outside their towns, as Esaan was unfruitfully part of thailand in the old days, so Thais enjoy Esaan Food too ..everywhere...coz Esaan food is tasteful and spicy and easy and quick to prepare. ( No coconut milk for Esaan's menu plan coz we dont have coconut in these parts ). And last longer( in yr stomach ) with sticky rice ..you wont feel easily hungry after eating sticky rice. Esaan ppl said if they have to eat noodle..it wont last in their stomach long...they getting hungry again.

Young ppl now loves Jap's food, Big Mc, loves chickens wings, love Somtham, love Khao Niew Mamuang...( Mangoes with sticky rice cook with coconut milk ) and various kinds of food. Thai enjoys eating and eating is kinda arts of thai life.

I used to like very spicy food , but as I have been living for a long time in Europe, I dont like to eat spicy anymore , as it upsets my stomach. And I do love to eat Chinese thai , Moslem Thai, real thai with many Nam Prik and veggi ( no plarah in central Thailand ) or with plarah ...Esaan food. In South thailand, they have various of hot spicy and those spicy things came from moslem's influence and malaysia . As we have lots of coconut trees in the south, so our menu's plan mostly cooked with curry and coconut and extra chillie and curcuma powder. Our food mix with food from Malaysia too. Just try typical thai food when you are travelling to north, or south of thailand, just order the real northern food Khao Soi, Sai Uhr ( like spicy sausage ), or real southern food..Gaeng Tai pla..Gang lueng or phad Sator...well..there are many thousands of food. Now I'm hungry :o the fast way to cook for me tonight is Khao Phad Veggi...have a nice dinner everybody !

• 3 years later...