Transfering Money From Uk To Thai Banks

bjderb

when transfering money from UK to Thai banks do the Thai banks make a standard charge ie if it is £100 or £1000

not 100% sure, i think it depends on the bank.

in most cases i have transfered £ and had the conversion done to baht i thailand. in these cases i saw no charge listed and the x rate was better than the uk would have given me.

i recently transfered a fairly large sum and i decided to do this in baht (ie i bought the baht from my uk bank) in this case i was charged 1500 baht for the deal (TMB). i didnt make on the x rate so i think it is nearly always better to let your thai bank do that

I have made several transfers from uk to Thai.

I always send pounds & change them into Baht in Thailand.

If you do the exchange in UK they will <deleted> you.

If there are charges at the Thai bank they are insignificant compared the uk bank charges.

not a very good option at the moment as the pound to the baht is bad leave it in a uk bank if you can hopefully the pound will recover and you will get more for your money, if it is for a small amount say for a girlfriend do not be a idiot it is a scam by the girls using it for the thai boyfriends or gambling, keep it in a uk bank and think long and hard about what you are doing with the cash,

not a very good option at the moment as the pound to the baht is bad leave it in a uk bank if you can hopefully the pound will recover and you will get more for your money, if it is for a small amount say for a girlfriend do not be a idiot it is a scam by the girls using it for the thai boyfriends or gambling, keep it in a uk bank and think long and hard about what you are doing with the cash,

All the poster was asking was how much commision do thai banks charge, a simple question in my eyes so why all the waffle.

Bank of Ayudhya charge a minimal amount, recently they have me charged 326 baht on 2,500 grand and 200 baht on 900 pound and one month nothing at all on 800 pound.

Hope this helps.

i recall my mrs saying "no leave it in uk" when the £ was at 60 baht, "too low", yeh right, so now its 50 baht, why would the pound recover significantly?

i still suggest transfer in £ an the better xrate is such that you will probably not notice a charge

the pound against the baht will go up again when the baht was 60 you must have taken your eye off the ball as it was around 70/73 for a long time that was the right time to change, as for your mrs saying no leave in the uk i am not supprised as she wants it, wants you to spend it in her and if anything happens to you she can get her hands on it first,nothing to do with the exchange rate

If you are transferring a big amount be careful how you describe the reason for transfer because BOT may freeze it. If you transfer 'for investment purposes' there is no problem usually but they try to stop speculation against the Thai baht

If your bank uses the SWIFT system for transferring funds, the agent for them in Thailand is Siam Commercial Bank. They will exchange the Sterling amount to Baht and transfer that amount to your Thai bank (assuming you don't bank with SCB). For this, they make a very small charge - deducted from the Baht total - but, as another poster said, it's tiny compared to the UK bank's fee.

Don't ever get your UK bank to do the exchange, i.e. convert to Baht before remitting, or you will be hung out to dry!

I use the ordinary SWIFT transfer regularly, and the Baht are in my Bangkok Bank account is a few days with never a hitch, no need to waste your money on the "urgent" transfer.

By the way, the Pound is rising slowly against the Baht - up to 54 on the London money market! :)

Edited by catmac

the pound against the baht will go up again when the baht was 60 you must have taken your eye off the ball as it was around 70/73 for a long time that was the right time to change, as for your mrs saying no leave in the uk i am not supprised as she wants it, wants you to spend it in her and if anything happens to you she can get her hands on it first,nothing to do with the exchange rate

Perhaps Alant didn't have the money to bring here when it was at 70/73 !

Why would Alants wife tell him to leave it in the uk if she wanted it, as i take it that she is in thailand, i am a bit mystified by your thinking here brasso.

Yes the UK is very expensive to transfer money. The bank charges alot considering it is just a few keyboard types :) Banks here do charge even if the person transferring in UK ticks the box that says, they will pay all charges both ends. But it is not a huge amount. Less normally than 300 baht. Albeit why they should charge for money coming into their bank which they earn interest from...is anybodies guess :D But banks are banks as we all know anywhere in the world. I find Kasikorn good and HSBC. But I think it is down to personal experience.

Yes the UK is very expensive to transfer money. The bank charges alot considering it is just a few keyboard types :) Banks here do charge even if the person transferring in UK ticks the box that says, they will pay all charges both ends. But it is not a huge amount. Less normally than 300 baht. Albeit why they should charge for money coming into their bank which they earn interest from...is anybodies guess :D But banks are banks as we all know anywhere in the world. I find Kasikorn good and HSBC. But I think it is down to personal experience.

thanks for response as usual with thaivisa forum most helpful, reason for transfer am retiring to live in Chiangsaen & need to adhere to requirements of thai immigration

when transfering money from UK to Thai banks do the Thai banks make a standard charge ie if it is £100 or £1000

If you are using the Bangkok Bank there is no charge.

When you have money sent to Thailand, have your bank Telegraphic Transfer (TT) CASH, in my case to the Bangkok Bank as you get a better rate by TT CASH.

Stipulate to your home bank, not to convert to bart, TT cash only.

Hope this is a help. :)

When you have money sent to Thailand, have your bank Telegraphic Transfer (TT) CASH, in my case to the Bangkok Bank as you get a better rate by TT CASH.

I don't know if this is useful to anyone, but I've found them useful - www.caxtonfx.com do currency trading and seem to offer good rates. If you're not moving large amounts (e.g. just living cash), then we use their prepaid mastercard www.caxtonfxcard.com which is free and you "load" with pounds online from a UK debit card or bank account. Stick it in a Thai ATM and you can get 15000 at a time. You get the daily interbank rate, which is hard to find but always better than the exchange places or any UK bank would ever give you. Usually when I work it out from statements it runs at just over 52 baht to the pound if I've used a cashpoint that charges the 150 baht fee, obviously better if you find a free one but they seem harder to find these days. Anyway - hope it helps, wish I'd found it before I got gradually fleeced using travellers cheques. Thankfully my bank in the UK could only get me 1000 baht when I was leaving as I'd have been conned well and truly, rate was about 43 baht.

Quick edit, forgot to say - I think they only post card to UK addresses, but there's no credit check so you'll need a mate from home to help and post it on to you (you activate online using emailed security details, so it's as safe as posting a piece of plastic - no way for a thief to use it)

Edited by markandclaire

Cheers oz, thanks for the info, have been thinking of opening an account with BKK bk,

Thats is very useful to know. Thanks. Good advice

I have made several transfers from uk to Thai.

I always send pounds & change them into Baht in Thailand.

If you do the exchange in UK they will <deleted> you.

If there are charges at the Thai bank they are insignificant compared the uk bank charges.

Absolutely right.

When I use TT to bring money over from my UK bank to my Thai bank, £20 fee ripped off by Barclays and normally there is a small fee taken by my Thai bank, 54 baht.