Fluorescent Tube Lighting Outdoors

gouda

I need to hook up some external lights, about 3 or 4 over a square area with sides of approx 50 or 60 m.

The cable length is about 150m i guess.

I have looked at halogen, metal halide floodlights with the correct IP numbers but the power rating is at least 150W

As the locals seem not to hesitate to set up fluorescent tube lighting outdoors, I was thinking of this as a possible low cost solution with low running costs as they may be on all night and I dont need a very bright light.

I was just wondering how safe it is to set up, but have a feeling that I know the answer already... :)

How about making an enclosure to protect from rain/wind etc? any one done this before?

cheers

I have never heard of any building burnt down because of an external light in the 40 years I have been in/around Thailand. I am sure there have been but it is obviously not a large number. Just use common sense and keep above human reach and offer some protection from the rain. Good to also protect with a safe-t-cut type to kill power before it can even get to fire potential in case of a short to ground. But am sure most homes do not have more than a normal fuse/breaker. Normally you will place under roof overhangs and window awnings.

This is a difficult situation for me. The safety concious sparks in me says 'no fxxxxng way', the practical man says 'out of reach, grounded, ELCB'd and protected from direct rain, then likely OK'.

As Lop says, the hazard of fire is small, the hazard of shock when damp is significant (hence 'out of reach', 'grounded' and 'ELCB').

Personally I'd use some of the IP-rated low-energy floodlights (seen them in HomePro) as a safe and neat solution :) If they're too bright you can replace the lamps with lower wattage ones.

i was more referring to the tubes they have along long stretches of the roads, e.g. for stalls, temporarily for parties etc when they paint them different colours.

They install them vertically onto wooden posts about 10m apart without any protection from the elements.

I would be putting them up permanently and using them everyday

I guess the main hazard is from the rain/ torrential downpours in the rainy season getting water inside them... so would put them in some kind of box..

One thing Im thinking of here is ... If when wet the light is still lit but electricity is running to earth somehow, are you going to pay more on your electric bill for the electric running to earth ?

i was more referring to the tubes they have along long stretches of the roads, e.g. for stalls, temporarily for parties etc when they paint them different colours.

They install them vertically onto wooden posts about 10m apart without any protection from the elements.

I guess the main hazard is from the rain/ torrential downpours in the rainy season getting water inside them... so would put them in some kind of box..

Those 'festive' arrangements are bloody lethal!!! We have them on occasion along our road, ballasts sitting on the ground, all wired up with speaker wire and hooked into a lamp post (fuse, what fuse?). After rain there's always a gentle fizzing from the electrical arrangements, these things are worth giving a wide berth.

Protect your fittings from direct rain with a roof of some sort and they'll be fine.

One thing Im thinking of here is ... If when wet the light is still lit but electricity is running to earth somehow, are you going to pay more on your electric bill for the electric running to earth ?

No because your ELCB will cut the power in the event of an earth fault :)

Of course, if you don't have an ELCB then you'll pay for all the power that passes through your meter.

Those 'festive' arrangements are bloody lethal!!! We have them on occasion along our road, ballasts sitting on the ground, all wired up with speaker wire and hooked into a lamp post (fuse, what fuse?). After rain there's always a gentle fizzing from the electrical arrangements, these things are worth giving a wide berth.

Protect your fittings from direct rain with a roof of some sort and they'll be fine.

Or ensure that your lamps have IP67 and ensure they are connected with a three wire connection, live, neutral and ground. Need I say that all outdoor cables should be run in conduits, preferably made of steel.

Or ensure that your lamps have IP67 and ensure they are connected with a three wire connection, live, neutral and ground. Need I say that all outdoor cables should be run in conduits, preferably made of steel.

555, IP67 is dust tight and suitable for immersion to 1m :)

Most you'll need is IPX3, X meaning physical ingress not specified, 3 being protected from water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical (good for rain). Check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code .

Conduit can be PVC but will need to be painted (or be a UV resistant type) to protect from UV, light fittings definately grounded and with an ELCB. Regular TPS cable can be used without conduit in protected locations, but will still need painting to protect the PVC sheath from UV degradation.

No because your ELCB will cut the power in the event of an earth fault :)

Of course, if you don't have an ELCB then you'll pay for all the power that passes through your meter.

If that's right Crossy just think of all the electric running to earth in Thailand in general from all the exposed overhead wires when it rains.... I have always been amazed that more people do not get a shock walking passed all these wires so close to the footpath :D

If that's right Crossy just think of all the electric running to earth in Thailand in general from all the exposed overhead wires when it rains.... I have always been amazed that more people do not get a shock walking passed all these wires so close to the footpath :)

The big overheads are on insulators if naked conductors, or are insulated so rain is no issue, these lines are designed to be outdoors. There is NO electricity running to earth and you will not get a shock even when it's raining.

The issue is the use of lighting intended for use indoors in an outdoor environment, damp getting inside the fitting will cause an earth leakage path bringing with it the risk of electric shock and tripping the ELCB if one is installed.

What about those pre-made light posts using the same long fluorescent lights? The local moo-baan have them on the streets. They come with a decent looking plastic housing for the bottom side and a metallic one for the top side. The posts are pretty flimsy, about the same diameter of the water pipe under the kitchen sink.