Baja Tacos

brasso

Sorry to disagree Unpredictable. We've been to Baja Taco several times. The food is well prepared and delicious. Being from California I think I can speak with some degree of expertise as Mexican food is probably the most popular cusine.

We rate Baja taco one of the best we've ever had for Tacos and Burritos (that's a pretty good recommendation from the Boss, who is Thai and not overly normally that fond of Mexican).

For a quickie meal last week I had the chicken tacos at the little restaurant across from the Villa entryway.....not as big or or individually prepared like Baja Taco, but pretty darn good for a regular eatery.

• 2 months later...

hi would like to thank fred and his girlfriend for a great time at his place the other week, food was great the best tacos i have ever tasted i wish him well for the future, if you have never been and had a taco go to the night market where baja is located and i am sure fred and his staff will not disapoint all the best fred see you next time in hua hin

Yes it's still there, just look for the small Thai lady standing in the market whispering "mexican food" :)

I've only been there once, was with 3 friends, and the food was really good, turned out to be quite expensive though, the menu says one price, but then there are 400 things that will cost you extra. And the reason why we've only been there once: The next day 3 of us 4 didn't dare to go more than 10 feet from the toilet all day.

I hate giving "bad reviews" but we are sure that it was the food from there that made us sick, but it was probably just a single experience, and should not keep anyone from going there, because as it has been said, the tacos are great.

Yes it's still there, just look for the small Thai lady standing in the market whispering "mexican food" :)

I've only been there once, was with 3 friends, and the food was really good, turned out to be quite expensive though, the menu says one price, but then there are 400 things that will cost you extra. And the reason why we've only been there once: The next day 3 of us 4 didn't dare to go more than 10 feet from the toilet all day.

I hate giving "bad reviews" but we are sure that it was the food from there that made us sick, but it was probably just a single experience, and should not keep anyone from going there, because as it has been said, the tacos are great.

I didn't want to write this either as it is second hand and it's hard to prove exactly what made a person sick, but a very good friend of mine who lives here got very sick within hours after eating there. He had eaten nothing else for a while so he is sure the bug came from there. I went there once before that and had a burrito. It was good and I had no problems, but that was before he was opening at lunch time. I fear in this time of few customers the ingredients may sit behind the counter (unrefrigerated) far too long in this kind of heat. It doesn't take long in this environment for bacteria to invade food left out.

Most western restaurants prepare food fresh or refrigerate the ingredients until the food is ordered. Fred's counter type service with the ingredients sitting in unprotected and unrefrigerated trays may not be the best way to do things in this hot moist tropical climate.

I wish Fred well and do think his food is good, though.

I went there a few times the food is great, best burritos I had in SE Asia!

No probs at all with the food quality, I don't think that hygiene is a problem there

compare to all the street food thats around?!

You missed my point Juice,

First, I eat street food occasionally and also eat at cheap Thai restaurants as I have an Issan wife who likes them... and I have had food poisoning, ranging from mild sh!ts to life-threatening bouts of fever several times in my five years here.

I'm not talking about Baja's hygiene. I'm sure the cleanliness of the kitchen and preparation is excellent; but his restaurant is designed like a salad bar where the ingredients are prepared well in advance and kept in trays under glass for possibly hours in this time of low business. I'm just saying that that may not be the best way to handle foods in a tropical environment. Most of the street food you are talking about is cooked or prepared to order, not prepared at lunch time and left to sit unrefrigerated for hours.

As I said before, I hope the incident I mentioned was an isolated one and I wish Fred well with the business. The product is certainly tasty!

HH Farang and Dondela-

I don't know how many times I've heard people blame a restaurant for them getting sick when there is absolutely no proof or verification other than they became ill after eating. The "incident' could have been caused by ice in a drink, a virus passed in a crowded area or any other of a number of factors that may have had nothing at all to do with where a person recently ate a meal. Food poisoning won't wait until the next day before it makes you sick, either. Usually a couple of hours will do the trick. Hot, humid climates like Thailand are ripe with bacteria in lots of forms. Don't be too quick to assume it was a meal that made you sick.

Fred discussed his food preparation with me at length a couple of weeks ago when I wanted some take-out. He is very careful with both his preparation and food storage. He wouldn't even give me take-out until I bring in the proper storage containers. I do not hesitate to argue that his establishment is both sanitary and properly monitored.

Maybe you guys should check with Fred and have him show you where you could be wrong here, because in such a small venture as his you could well cause him to lose business he can't afford to lose.

I sure don't want to see Baja Tacos go out of business, the food is just too good !!!!!!

HH Farang and Dondela-

I don't know how many times I've heard people blame a restaurant for them getting sick when there is absolutely no proof or verification other than they became ill after eating. The "incident' could have been caused by ice in a drink, a virus passed in a crowded area or any other of a number of factors that may have had nothing at all to do with where a person recently ate a meal. Food poisoning won't wait until the next day before it makes you sick, either. Usually a couple of hours will do the trick. Hot, humid climates like Thailand are ripe with bacteria in lots of forms. Don't be too quick to assume it was a meal that made you sick.

Fred discussed his food preparation with me at length a couple of weeks ago when I wanted some take-out. He is very careful with both his preparation and food storage. He wouldn't even give me take-out until I bring in the proper storage containers. I do not hesitate to argue that his establishment is both sanitary and properly monitored.

Maybe you guys should check with Fred and have him show you where you could be wrong here, because in such a small venture as his you could well cause him to lose business he can't afford to lose.

I sure don't want to see Baja Tacos go out of business, the food is just too good !!!!!!

Absolutely correct TGIR,

The food tastes great and there is no proof that his food made my friend sick, but he is convinced of it as he did get sick within hours of eating there and had nothing else since morning. He ate there in the evening shortly after Fred started opening at lunch time (he figured the food trays must have been prepared at lunch time and left sitting out all afternoon). Maybe as you said, he got sick from something else. I do not wish Fred or his place any harm so lets all continue to eat there unless a pattern develops.

I didn't want to write this either as it is second hand and it's hard to prove exactly what made a person sick, but a very good friend of mine who lives here got very sick within hours after eating there. He had eaten nothing else for a while so he is sure the bug came from there. I went there once before that and had a burrito. It was good and I had no problems, but that was before he was opening at lunch time. I fear in this time of few customers the ingredients may sit behind the counter (unrefrigerated) far too long in this kind of heat. It doesn't take long in this environment for bacteria to invade food left out.

Most western restaurants prepare food fresh or refrigerate the ingredients until the food is ordered. Fred's counter type service with the ingredients sitting in unprotected and unrefrigerated trays may not be the best way to do things in this hot moist tropical climate.

If the food is sitting out I would either ask them to heat it up, or get it to go and reheat it when I got home. This would kill any bacteria the food might have picked up while sitting out. I'm also from California, and love Mexican food.

Barry

If the food is sitting out I would either ask them to heat it up, or get it to go and reheat it when I got home. This would kill any bacteria the food might have picked up while sitting out. I'm also from California, and love Mexican food.

Barry

They do heat it up. All the ingredients are sitting in trays behind glass, like a deli, and you order exactly what you want on your burrito or taco and they make it to order. Then they heat it and wrap it and give it to you.

However, I think to kill bacteria it would have to be heated to the point that it would be to hot to eat for a few minutes. Anyway, as people say, you can't necessarily blame the last thing you ate when you get sick. It could have come from another source.

Hi,

We hope that no one has gotten sick from our food and use all precautions to eliminate that.

We would like to clarify a couple of statements.

1) As for the food in the display/serving counters. One counter for the hot food is a steam table that keeps the food at 100 degrees Celcius. The cold food is refridgerated.( this is at a great expense for electric).

2) We use disposiable items for silverware and what we serve the food in or on. That is because a lot of people get sick from improperally cleaned plates and silverware.

3) As per charges for extras. A basic Taco is 60 baht a basic burrito is 160 baht for a giant burrito you would add 69 baht.

Guacamole and extra sour cream or cheese would be extra as these items are very costly in thailand.

I do hope the girls will give us another try and please say ask for me when you come so i can do something special.

I do not understand Hhfarangs writing as he was not sick and said he only was at our store once. the speaking on the food counters without knowing what they are really is very hurtful.

Again I hope that nobody ever gets sick.

The spell check did not work,so please excuse any misspellings.

Thank you for your patronage and understanding

Fred

Baja Tacos

Hi,

We hope that no one has gotten sick from our food and use all precautions to eliminate that.

We would like to clarify a couple of statements.

1) As for the food in the display/serving counters. One counter for the hot food is a steam table that keeps the food at 100 degrees Celcius. The cold food is refridgerated.( this is at a great expense for electric).

2) We use disposiable items for silverware and what we serve the food in or on. That is because a lot of people get sick from improperally cleaned plates and silverware.

3) As per charges for extras. A basic Taco is 60 baht a basic burrito is 160 baht for a giant burrito you would add 69 baht.

Guacamole and extra sour cream or cheese would be extra as these items are very costly in thailand.

I do hope the girls will give us another try and please say ask for me when you come so i can do something special.

I do not understand Hhfarangs writing as he was not sick and said he only was at our store once. the speaking on the food counters without knowing what they are really is very hurtful.

Again I hope that nobody ever gets sick.

The spell check did not work,so please excuse any misspellings.

Thank you for your patronage and understanding

Fred

Baja Tacos

Hi Fred,

As I said, I wish you no ill will and good success. I was just stating the facts as told me by a good friend. We came to your place together shortly after you opened for lunch and loved the food. My friend went back again in the evening a few days later and became ill with food poisoning a couple of hours after eating.

I have just looked up some facts on food poisoning and it can occur up to 48 hours after eating the offending food depending on the kind of bacteria involved. I had always thought it occurred within a very short time so it is quite possible that his illness came from another source.

The only reason I only ate there once was because of what my friend told me... I love Mexican and your food was good.