2 Welsh Tourists Killed In Road Accident In Pattaya

george

The truth is in the middle....to obtain a driving license in Europe is an overpriced, overregulated business. Here it is just not enough.

What puzzled me is the fact, that you can ride any bike with one license. So you pass the test on you Mio Automatic and can immediately ride a Big Bike. At least there should be some kind of age limit or you should be only allowed to drive a big bike after you hold the license for a certain period.

Anyway TiT

It's the same for cars here. I passed my test driving a little automatic Honda City and noticed on the back of my shiny new Thai driving license that I was now legally allowed to drive a minibus! Worrying, eh?!?

So sad to hear about these two young guys but they knew the risks. Maybe it was questionable that they were able to hire such a big bike in the first place but no-one forced them to get p*ssed or ride around without helmets.

My condolences to the family...

MCL

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no-one forced them to get p*ssed or ride around without helmets.

According to the news reports, they were in fact wearing helmets. Unfortunately they didn't to anything for them :) They were probably wearing those thin cheap plastic ones you can pick up for a couple of hundred baht.

The video was horrific and sad, i agree.

But if it teaches just one person that getting on a powerful bike what not to do - i am all for it.

RIP

I removed it.

I wholeheartedly agree if such a video can save just 1 life it would be worth it.

However, we have to understand the sensitivities towards friends and families of the deceased.

We are actually debating this in the moderator section and see where we could find such educational video's where there is obviously full consent from the families involved.

Any tips welcome!

let families have their peace then make it a sticky, everyone who drives a bike in thailand shoould see this at some point.

its made me think

no-one forced them to get p*ssed or ride around without helmets.

According to the news reports, they were in fact wearing helmets. Unfortunately they didn't to anything for them :) They were probably wearing those thin cheap plastic ones you can pick up for a couple of hundred baht.

Quality helmets could only help if the speed had not been so fast. It was stated they were going very fast. If you look at the curb (to this day) you will see the point of impact. The bodies ended up 30 to 40 meters away from impact with the curb. The Heinaken sign with steel frame was damaged posibley by the bodies. No helmet could have saved them.

If you know a little about motorbikes, take a look at the condition of the big bikes on hire.

They are often in a poor state of repair and maintenance. Very basic things like clutch and brake levers not adjusted so control of the vehicle is seriously impaired. Sticking gear levers making gear changes difficult are often due to crash damage being fixed with nothing more than a hammer. Take a butcher's at the chain. Is it correctly adjusted (a 5-minute job) and lubricated? Are the sprockets still ok?

When you see basic jobs like this are not done, you can guarantee bigger jobs like engine tuning and frame checks have not been done. Failure to maintain or failure to repair a bike after a crash both make a big powerful bike harder to ride and more dangerous.

I have no idea if this was a factor in this incident, but I would not recommend hiring one of those big bikes and if you do, do not hire one without looking carefully over the bike first.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive seen that and it is without doubt the sickest thing i have ever seen in my life, there isnt any need for it to be shown as im sure its heartbreaking for their family and friends.

Helmets wouldnt have made a bit of difference at the speeds they were meant to be going.

Ive seen that and it is without doubt the sickest thing i have ever seen in my life, there isnt any need for it to be shown as im sure its heartbreaking for their family and friends.

Helmets wouldnt have made a bit of difference at the speeds they were meant to be going.

Look its not about sick, Its real life. You also have the choice to watch it.

It should shock you and should also imprint a message in your head saying wear helmuts, dont drink and ride etc etc.

Its not about anyone getting off on posting terrible things its about education.

I have decided after seeing that video i will educate my kids that riding motorbikes are to dangerous and try to make sure they never ever get on one.

It should shock you and should also imprint a message in your head saying wear helmuts, dont drink and ride etc etc.

Its not about anyone getting off on posting terrible things its about education.

I have decided after seeing that video i will educate my kids that riding motorbikes are to dangerous and try to make sure they never ever get on one.

I dont ride motorbikes anywhere, hate the things theyre dangerous, hope you can teach your kids this.

If the family of those killed were to give consent then its as you say kind of educational, but how would you feel if everytime you went on the internet you knew by making a couple of clicks you could see your children in that way????? A bit of respect for the living is whats needed.

I dont ride motorbikes anywhere, hate the things theyre dangerous, hope you can teach your kids this.

If the family of those killed were to give consent then its as you say kind of educational, but how would you feel if everytime you went on the internet you knew by making a couple of clicks you could see your children in that way????? A bit of respect for the living is whats needed.

Yes you could be right but there are plenty of other websites with that video clip on.

Very sad to here 2 young tourists lost their life enjoying themselves.How can anyone come here and rent a big powerful motorbike after only driving a small one.

RIP

Trouble is the guy that was riding the bike was apparently riding it reckless. Hmmm if he fell off and broke his leg people would be saying serves the fool right. Unfortunatly he and his freind paid the ultimate price. Sad but foolish.

Luckily they didnt take out a innocent person walking along the pavement.

The truth is in the middle....to obtain a driving license in Europe is an overpriced, overregulated business. Here it is just not enough.

What puzzled me is the fact, that you can ride any bike with one license. So you pass the test on you Mio Automatic and can immediately ride a Big Bike. At least there should be some kind of age limit or you should be only allowed to drive a big bike after you hold the license for a certain period.

Anyway TiT

It's the same for cars here. I passed my test driving a little automatic Honda City and noticed on the back of my shiny new Thai driving license that I was now legally allowed to drive a minibus! Worrying, eh?!?

So sad to hear about these two young guys but they knew the risks. Maybe it was questionable that they were able to hire such a big bike in the first place but no-one forced them to get p*ssed or ride around without helmets.

My condolences to the family...

MCL

hold on.....in uk i believe if you pass car driving test then you are allowed to drive up to 11 seater minibus.....there only a little bigger than a 4 wheel drive vehicle like Toyota fortuna etc

Question, when a renter is killed on a rented machine does the owner go to the family for compensation ?

1 million percent they ask for money....do you think they will just suck it up? they were not insured and im pretty sure the renters will want money before bodies can be released to families. I had an accident and was hassled for money even though the guy in the car was insured and insurance was paying for bike repairs as his fault even then i was still hassled for money even though my leg was fcuked and i couldnt walk....i had to get the police involved just to get my passport back!!! and then still wasnt easy.