2 Welsh Tourists Killed In Road Accident In Pattaya

george

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for the people who died. My condolances to their families and friends.

I've been riding for about 35 years now and know how dangerous it can be, to ride a motorcycle in Thailand (or anyplace else for that matter). I ride a 1340 CC Harley Dyna, in Thailand, as well as our little Suzuki 125 for local running around.

Yes, I agree, I'm here for the freedom. I hate to see the flashing lights coming on behind me, everytime I take a bike out in Canada.

As far as the "helmet - no helmet" argument, there are good points made on both sides. For example, in British Columbia, Canada, Lawyer, Jim McNeney kept beating the helmet law in court some years ago. He brought up some excellent arguments against wearing helmets back then.

Personally, I wear a helmet, if I think that I will get a ticket otherwise. I like the wind in my hair and rather die, than be a vegetable, because my brain bounced back and forth inside the helmet, after a crash. (soft brain tissue against rugged skull, bad combination, when the helmet acts like a bell). Then of course, most people don't know about those facts and tests done in the past, because it is much more popular to infringe on individual freedoms, that to listen to a few bikers fighting for their rights.

Booze and Bikes are a bad combination. I fully agree. (I had a lot of fun in my drinking days, but I also have quite a few scars to show for it, so I wouldn't suggest riding drunk)

The most important thing that I found, when riding, is to be seen by other motorists. If you can't see the other motorist looking at you, you should assume that he can't see you.

Then of course, in Thailand, you have your added hazzards, like dogs, chickens, cows, elephants and children crossing the street, truck drivers high on jabba, who would rather run you over than move a little, people pulling out from side streets and alleys without looking, or any kind of warning...and the list goes on.

This is a great country for riding, but not for racing down the road. If you ride too fast in Thailand, you will probably have an accident sooner, rather than later.

The nice thing is, that over here, I can ride my bike and get all kinds of smiles and waves, from children and people of all other ages alike. It is a biker friendly country and a great place for people, who like to ride responsibly.

Anybody who rents a big bike to somebody, who has never ridden one, is an idiot. People who rent out bikes should know better and be more responsible. Someone who never rode one, might think it's easy and think that he can handle it, so there has to be some responsibility from the guy who rents them out, to say no, if the person wanting to rent it, doesn't seem to have any experience riding.

When we had the restaurant/guesthouse, we used to rent little 110 Hondas to our guests, but it only took one guy, who got on and rode it straight into the ditch, before we made sure that everybody afterwards had a valid motorcycle license. We finally quit renting out bikes all together, because we felt that the risk was too great, of somebody seriously getting hurt.

If they don't have a license, chances are, they don't know the rules and hazzards of the road and shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

Just because you have a passport and the money doesn't qualify you for a vacation to Thailand. Lets stop all of these senseless deaths ny requireing a test before they leave the UK, OZ, and the US and what ever other place they lived and left their common sense if they had any to start with.

I'm pretty sure this is meant to be humorous and while it might be a good idea to test the male folks between 18 and 35 from the UK, your suggestion is not practical. Testing for common sense would reveal that common sense is not all that common. Part of the allure of this place is the wild west (sorry for the pun) feeling you get vacationing here.

Motorcycles are just one aspect of your vacation that can kill you. The "Full Moon" overdoses, robbery homicides, slip and falls (from very tall buildings), business disputes, personal disputes, etc., these death start to add up. It is hard to believe that people are actually killed here over a girl from time to time.

When you're young, as some of us may remember, you had that feeling of invincibility. Part of any vacation is the experience of something new or different. Bungee jumping, boating, jet skiing, go-go bars, free lancers and yes, motorcycling can be part of any guys vacation and all can lead to a bad end. I personally feel that 150 KPH ride from the airport in the older model taxi with no ABS and the air bags removed could be a killer.

Tragic accident. RIP.

Very sad, indeed... :D

In a motorcycle you need to understand how your body is part of the vehicle and respect the limits...

Agree... too bad they came to die while should have been having fun... good they didn't hit anybody else...

:)

"Speeding their bike". When will they ever learn. Thank God they didn't kill anybody else.

I'm quite sure they were two, of the four people on two bikes, speeding up and down Jimtien Beach Road, way to fast, there needs to be just a tad of speed control, at least in town, Beach Road in Jomtien and Pattaya need speed bumps or police, way to fast, way out of control, way to much drunk driving, Thai and Farang, making it a life and death situation to cross the road at the beach, is not a holiday and makes for a bad day

2 Ukrainian tourists killed in road accident in Pattaya

The two tourists were identified as Jenkin Matthien, 35 and Alexterre Jonathan, 25.

Names don't sound particularly Ukrainian to me. The Nation does its routine sloppy job reporting. The world-class journalists must have though UK stands for Ukraine...

Spot on

That is what will happen when you have never driven a Bike and than rent one when you are on holiday.

It is maybe a good idea to restrict rental-bikes to a reasonable power. Even if a tourist does not like it: it maybe saves his life. People who live here for longer may have larger sizes. I heard of countries where a license starts with restricted bike-size and on fulfilled approbation you can upgrade. I cannot advise T/land for issuing laws; on a common sense base, something can be arranged volontarily maybe.

In the end it is individual: each of us kills hisself according to his own taste.

I do not pity the dead driver. I feel sympathy with the other guy.

Two British Tourists killed following high speed road accident.

Just after 6am on Friday, Police and rescue workers were called to the scene of a fatal road accident which occurred on Pattaya Second Road in front of Big C in North Pattaya. The single vehicle accident claimed the lives of two British Tourists, Mr. Alex George aged 23 and Mr. Mathew Jenkins of the same age. Eye witnesses said that the high powered Honda CBR Bike was travelling at speed from Central to North Pattaya in the direction of the Dolphin Roundabout. The bike was weaving through traffic and there was a suggestion the driver appeared drunk. The bike clipped the pavement and the driver and passenger were thrown from the bike. The driver hit the road and the passenger was thrown onto the pavement. Police are investigating the accident and initial investigations confirmed that a second vehicle was not involved in the crash.

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/may/news_22_05_52.shtml

I live about 20 minutes from their home town of Llanelli and what can i say.... sad and pointless loss of life... RIP lads......

but you have to thank God that no inocent pedestrians were killed because of their behaviour .... it was shocking behaviour if the reports are true

having said that the Thai authorities should look at ther accident record and think "hmmmmm what can we do to improve it" ....(im assuming thats someones <deleted> job somewhere)......

at least make some effort to curb the drunk idiots who rent out these bikes....

its crazyness

Oh yes, thank the arab jewish god (Yahweh) for taking "his" time to make sure no bystanders were killed. :D But why did "he" allow the two on the moto to be killed. "He" must play favorites. :) RIP fellow bikers! :D

I feel sorry for the people who died. My condolances to their families and friends.

I've been riding for about 35 years now and know how dangerous it can be, to ride a motorcycle in Thailand (or anyplace else for that matter). I ride a 1340 CC Harley Dyna, in Thailand, as well as our little Suzuki 125 for local running around.

Yes, I agree, I'm here for the freedom. I hate to see the flashing lights coming on behind me, everytime I take a bike out in Canada.

As far as the "helmet - no helmet" argument, there are good points made on both sides. For example, in British Columbia, Canada, Lawyer, Jim McNeney kept beating the helmet law in court some years ago. He brought up some excellent arguments against wearing helmets back then.

Personally, I wear a helmet, if I think that I will get a ticket otherwise. I like the wind in my hair and rather die, than be a vegetable, because my brain bounced back and forth inside the helmet, after a crash. (soft brain tissue against rugged skull, bad combination, when the helmet acts like a bell). Then of course, most people don't know about those facts and tests done in the past, because it is much more popular to infringe on individual freedoms, that to listen to a few bikers fighting for their rights.

Booze and Bikes are a bad combination. I fully agree. (I had a lot of fun in my drinking days, but I also have quite a few scars to show for it, so I wouldn't suggest riding drunk)

The most important thing that I found, when riding, is to be seen by other motorists. If you can't see the other motorist looking at you, you should assume that he can't see you.

Then of course, in Thailand, you have your added hazzards, like dogs, chickens, cows, elephants and children crossing the street, truck drivers high on jabba, who would rather run you over than move a little, people pulling out from side streets and alleys without looking, or any kind of warning...and the list goes on.

This is a great country for riding, but not for racing down the road. If you ride too fast in Thailand, you will probably have an accident sooner, rather than later.

The nice thing is, that over here, I can ride my bike and get all kinds of smiles and waves, from children and people of all other ages alike. It is a biker friendly country and a great place for people, who like to ride responsibly.

Anybody who rents a big bike to somebody, who has never ridden one, is an idiot. People who rent out bikes should know better and be more responsible. Someone who never rode one, might think it's easy and think that he can handle it, so there has to be some responsibility from the guy who rents them out, to say no, if the person wanting to rent it, doesn't seem to have any experience riding.

When we had the restaurant/guesthouse, we used to rent little 110 Hondas to our guests, but it only took one guy, who got on and rode it straight into the ditch, before we made sure that everybody afterwards had a valid motorcycle license. We finally quit renting out bikes all together, because we felt that the risk was too great, of somebody seriously getting hurt.

If they don't have a license, chances are, they don't know the rules and hazzards of the road and shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

I don't think the Thai's have any concept of licensing and riding / driving experience. :)

I accompanied a friend at the driving test centre in Pattaya. Those applying for a

motorbike license went first and I was gobsmacked

that all is required to get the bike or driving license is ONE quick loop around a small

area at the back of the driving test centre office - about the size of a mini golf course - and THAT's it ! :D

And you don't get any practical experience when your learning to drive or ride because it's all

usually done off road -so those getting their license have zilch experience of

driving or bike riding in actual conditions before they get their permit. It's a joke

Edited by midas

sad waste of life and grief for their famly and loved ones. i have in patts for 20 months and like others have seen many bike accidents. i have never ridden a bike but it is difficult to understand why anyone needs to ride a high powered bike in such conjested traffic. i can understand the thrill on an open road etc but in the traffic chaos here - crazy!

It is always sad when young people do something they perhaps wouldn't do at home.

My wife and I used to go to Pattaya to ride the big bikes for a week-end treat but we certainly headed out on the open road up to the Mountain. Some great scenery and a great ride.

RIP

but you have to thank God that no inocent pedestrians were killed because of their behaviour .... it was shocking behaviour if the reports are true

Oh yes, thank the arab jewish god (Yahweh) for taking "his" time to make sure no bystanders were killed. :D But why did "he" allow the two on the moto to be killed. "He" must play favorites. :) RIP fellow bikers! :D

You left out the Flying Spaghetti Monster :D

While I share your general sentiments, I think the phrase was used as a "figure of speech" and not that the poster was displaying infantile belief in super-natural beings (though he did capitalize the term).

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

It's pretty much criminal the renting of high-powered motorbikes to anyone who comes along with a passport and the daily rental fee. Booze, pretty girls, and fast bikes can make for a deadly combination.

Why? Thailand is the antithesis of the nanny state. The problem is that western countries have taken over from common sense and there is some silly assumption that as you are allowed to do something silly in Thailand that it must then be safe to do so.

Forget at your peril that the Thai state doesn't give one shit for the lives of any Thai, never mind the life of a foreigner (except where it might dent the tourist figures). It doesn't just apply to road casualties.

the "antithesis of the nanny state" is fine with me.

I would like to see more darwinism in our over-protected societies.

Let the people their freedom. If it kills them, so be it.

Just sad. But it not more dangerous to drive a big bike in Pattaya than a small Honda Wave, personally I find it even "safer" to ride a big bike. The only important thin is, that you know to control yourself.

I agree to on post.....nobody should be allowed to rent a big bike without presenting a valid international motorcycle license. Most of the accidents are cause by a.) booze and b.) lack of motorcycle experience.

Moo9

i know Llanelli well,used to have a girlfriend there. it must have been the thaught of having to go back.death or Llanelli. hel_l of a choice.

You obviously did not edit your post enough! What an insensitive thing to say, implying it was suicide!!! In my eyes it was a tragic and terrible accident, a case of being young and daft(and invincible, but most of us have probably been there at one time or other in our lives), add to that the total lack of road safety measures here in Thailand which allows anyone to rent whtever they desire as long as they can pay the money! Thank goodness the link to that horrific and tasteless website has disappeared. My sincere condolences to the families of both of the boys involved.

i know Llanelli well,used to have a girlfriend there. it must have been the thaught of having to go back.death or Llanelli. hel_l of a choice.

You obviously did not edit your post enough! What an insensitive thing to say, implying it was suicide!!! In my eyes it was a tragic and terrible accident, a case of being young and daft(and invincible, but most of us have probably been there at one time or other in our lives), add to that the total lack of road safety measures here in Thailand which allows anyone to rent whtever they desire as long as they can pay the money! Thank goodness the link to that horrific and tasteless website has disappeared. My sincere condolences to the families of both of the boys involved.

I don't think the Thai's have any concept of licensing and riding / driving experience. :)

I accompanied a friend at the driving test centre in Pattaya. Those applying for a

motorbike license went first and I was gobsmacked

that all is required to get the bike or driving license is ONE quick loop around a small

area at the back of the driving test centre office - about the size of a mini golf course - and THAT's it ! :D

And you don't get any practical experience when your learning to drive or ride because it's all

usually done off road -so those getting their license have zilch experience of

driving or bike riding in actual conditions before they get their permit. It's a joke

The truth is in the middle....to obtain a driving license in Europe is an overpriced, overregulated business. Here it is just not enough.

What puzzled me is the fact, that you can ride any bike with one license. So you pass the test on you Mio Automatic and can immediately ride a Big Bike. At least there should be some kind of age limit or you should be only allowed to drive a big bike after you hold the license for a certain period.

Anyway TiT

I'm not saying size or power isn't a factor in some these types of incidents, but unfortunately a large number of people get killed on the smaller bikes too. Should there be more regulation? Maybe, but it still gets down to being responsible for yourself, and using some judgement.

The video was horrific and sad, i agree.

But if it teaches just one person that getting on a powerful bike what not to do - i am all for it.

RIP

I removed it.

I wholeheartedly agree if such a video can save just 1 life it would be worth it.

However, we have to understand the sensitivities towards friends and families of the deceased.

We are actually debating this in the moderator section and see where we could find such educational video's where there is obviously full consent from the families involved.

Any tips welcome!

I've ridden high powered bikes alot but am not reckless where i open it up! I'm an experienced rider and take my own helmet not don their one,I also check the bike over.Most rental people quirey if you are able to ride ok,i play it safe...I wouldn't drink and drive,protective clothen is only good for saving your skin and back in a minor accident,it'll not safe you!!! Remember to be safe in a foriegn country is your responsiblity,to rely on others to impose Law where it ignored,to keep you safe is the wrong thing to do. :) DONT FORGET WHAT YOU LEARNED IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY TO KEEP SAFE RIP

Edited by michael233

I won't bore anyone with my stories about the higher risks from a big bike. I will say that at least for me, I took more foolish chances on high powered bikes than with small bikes. High powered bikes in Pattaya are totally unnecessary and should NOT be rented to tourists.