Lake With The Island In The Middle

Carmine6

Last month, I visited Chiangmai for the first time. I ended up hanging out with my tour guide and some other locals many evenings. Saved a ton of money. Some nights I would then fend for myself in the tourist areas and other nights we went to some Thai night spots.

One place we went late afternoon was a lake with I think an island in the middle with a temple on it. There were restaurants/bars surrounding it. Not fancy places. The place we ate was very large and crowded. The seating was on slightly raised platforms, but with low tables and mat seating. 3 big Changs and 2 dishes ran less than 200 baht. Have to speak Thai there as there didn't seem to be menus.

It was northwest of the city but I'm not sure if more north or west. If I ever ended up in Chiang Mai again it would be nice to try that place at night.

Does this sound familiar to anyone and what's the name of the lake?

You're probably talking about Rama IX Park (Rajamangkala Park).

It's northwest, off route 107. The 'temple' in the middle is infact the Tribal Museum.

Thanks, that's probably it. I remember Tribal Museum signs.

Seek and ye shall find. Another legitimate question answered by one of our members. Thanks for that, threedot. Despite all the negative crap that often happens, this forum usually comes up with good answers for legitimate questions. :)

You're probably talking about Rama IX Park (Rajamangkala Park).

It's northwest, off route 107. The 'temple' in the middle is infact the Tribal Museum.

And the museum is actually at the end of a short causeway that sticks out into the lake - so you can visit it without swimming or boating........ :)