Help With Visa Info

I need some help with my visa. It seems all the information I have researched so far is conflicting or out and out false. I don’t even trust the Thai lawyers and the dribble I am getting from them.

My situation: The school I work for has completed screwed up my b visa where I am starting from scratch. Out of time on my B visa. Not really surprised because incompetence definitely rules here.

I have been married to a Thai for 5 months and 3 weeks. What are my options? Go get a new tourist visa and convert to an o visa? Paying for the school’s incompetence is getting old. I would really like to take this b visa out of the control of the school because it costs me money and they don’t care.

I have a fellow teacher that claims he has an o visa and a previous school obtained a work permit with this o visa. If the o visa is the correct route, maybe I can use the 40K income to qualify which is also difficult because I can’t get a bank account to show this income without a work permit. (I’m getting flashbacks of the movie “Catch 22”).

Is this incompetence that I am experiencing inevitable or is there a way to circumvent some of this?

USA/55 years old/Live in Thai

1. You can obtain a 60 day extension of stay now to visit your wife. TM.7 form, proof of marriage to Thai and 1,900 baht at Immigration office.

2. That should provide time for school to apply for work permit and get there act together.

3. Once you have work and the 40k income you can extend your stay - either for work or wife.

4. You do not need work permit to obtain bank account. You want passbook savings account and Bangkok Bank has requirements listed on there web site. Other banks will also provide without work permit but you may have to ask several branches. Have your wife go with you when you apply.

5. You can work with original non immigrant O or B entry.

To get more time you could go to immigration and get a 60 day extension to visit your wife. You can get your work permit with this extension just make sure immigration marks the extension to indicate it is to visit spouse. You would need your marriage certificate and your wifes house book and ID.

You would have to show a work permit and tax payments for 3 months to prove the income for a 1 year extension.

If I was you I would stay with the marriage extension option and if you can't show the 3 months of income at the end of 60 days you could go out and and get a single entry non-o based upon marriage.

1. You can obtain a 60 day extension of stay now to visit your wife. TM.7 form, proof of marriage to Thai and 1,900 baht at Immigration office.

2. That should provide time for school to apply for work permit and get there act together.

3. Once you have work and the 40k income you can extend your stay - either for work or wife.

4. You do not need work permit to obtain bank account. You want passbook savings account and Bangkok Bank has requirements listed on there web site. Other banks will also provide without work permit but you may have to ask several branches. Have your wife go with you when you apply.

5. You can work with original non immigrant O or B entry.

The best Idea is to get a letter from the school stating that they employ you and that the paperwork has been given to the MoE for your WP, but you need a bank account now, if you do in the area around the school then no problems. I did the same many years ago.

Also the statement about no need to have a WP to open a bank account, is not strictly true, most banks require it or a letter confirming residency, this has been the case in Bangkok for a long time now, my personal experience and others I know have also needed WP, and I have a savings account at the Bangkok Bank!!!

However, you can always find a bank willing to open an account for you.

Thanks a million for the rapid replies!!!!!!

I have to accomplish this in the next three days.

I will try again with the bank account. So far, all have said no without work permit.

Thanks a million for the rapid replies!!!!!!

I have to accomplish this in the next three days.

I will try again with the bank account. So far, all have said no without work permit.

You will get one. Keep trying. Kasikorn Bank have a reputation for being helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I received so much help and quickly I wanted to report the results of my dilemma.

I was successful in obtaining the extension of time for "visiting my Thai wife". I received 60 days with the option of extending an additional 30 days. (total 90 days)

I did get a letter from the school stating that I worked for the school and that the school has applied for a work permit. This worked. I took the letter to Bangkok Bank (who rejected me before) and was able to open a bank account with the stipulation that I bring in the work permit after the school completes that process.

When the school found out that I was attempting a non-O that became a bit upset and insisted that I get a non-B. They said it would save me money. They forget to include the headaches and expenses I was to fund as a result of their brainlessness. The school made no offer to compensate me for the trip to Laos for the non-B they were insisting upon.

While I was at immigration I did inquire about the requirements for the non-O. This was the list of items they said I needed to bring for the non-O.

Application form

2 Copies of pages in passport

2 months of a 40K income in a Thai bank account

2 copies of a document proving marriage from the same government office where you get married

a letter from your embassy acknowledging your income/amount

1,900 baht

I will report further after I make application for my non-O. In my opinion, if you have this option it is the only way to go. Costs a little bit (1,900 every 90 days) but piece of mind is worth the costs. The school appears to becoming more and more caustic in their behavior and this is a safe way insure there are no surprises.

I think you are talking about a 12 month extension from Immigration based on your Marriage.

You can work with that if you have a Work Permit. It is a better option than a Non b visa.

The fee is 1,900 Baht every year NOT 90 days.

You will need . Marriage Certificate. Wife,s ID Card and House Registration. Passport. Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house. Map showing the way to your house. Take your Wife with you to be interviewed.

If using money in the bank you need 400,000 In a Thai bank for 2 month before you apply. Take letter from bank.

If Income from abroad you need a letter from your Embassy verifying an income of 40,000 Baht a month.

If the income is within Thailand you need Tax Documents and a Work Permit. Fee 1,900 Baht.

After applying you will be given 30 days under consideration stamp. Go back in a month and get your extension.

You will then have to report your address to Immigration every 90 days. (No Fee)

You will not be making application for a non O visa - you will be extending your current permitted to stay stamp. It is not a visa and you can not use it to enter the country - any travel after you obtain the extension of stay will require a re-entry permit. Which is also the case now with your 60 day extension of stay.

I think you are talking about a 12 month extension from Immigration based on your Marriage.

You can work with that if you have a Work Permit. It is a better option than a Non b visa.

OK. I stand corrected.

Maybe the Immigration Officer thought that I was just attempting to extend/continue the extension I was applying for verses applying for the non-O.

OK. I stand corrected.

Maybe the Immigration Officer thought that I was just attempting to extend/continue the extension I was applying for verses applying for the non-O.

A Non O Visa can only be applied for at a Consulate outside of Thailand.

You can extend you current stay at Immigration for 12 months for a fee of 1,900 Baht if you can meet the financial requirements.

• 1 month later...

I should have listened to urbonjoe in the post above about the 60 days. It has been 60 days later and I went for my "extension" of 30 more days. That was a setup. There is no extension. Previously, I was careful to take notes on the information I was getting as not to cause myself any more problems. It didn't help.

This information came from the woman that does the final sign off on your documents before you leave. Of course there was a different woman this time and she was enjoying my confusion of the "facts".

Anyway, I paid another B 1,900 to buy myself 7 days so I can get to Laos. My Thai wife explained it very well. "If they make no mistake then they make no extra money".

Translation: If they don't suck you in with lies then the government doesn't make more money.