Summer Season Impressions

Sir Burr

I've just got back home after three months away.

The first thing that leapt at me in the taxi from the airport to home, was that Phuket had gotten really, really green whilst I was away.

This was confirmed on arrival at the Sir Burr residence as the garden looked decidedly shaggier than normal.

All thanks to Summer season, my favourite time of year.

Villa Supermarket

Went to Villa in Chalong for the first time. My God! It's fan-bloody-tastic.

I only went in for crumpets and I ended up walking out with not only crumpets, but three different types of cheeses, a small slab of smoked mackeral and two small tins of Heinz Baked Beans. I am going to be shopping there often.

Warning. Do not go to Villa if you are suffering the munchies. Very dangerous to the wallet.

Charlies Burger.

Had to go to the Freedom Bar and check out this burger.

I had the Wolf-thingy burger with cheese, streaky bacon and chips.

Really good. If they would change the bun, it could be the best burger on the island.

Not really good value for money at 300 Bt, but, hey, what-the h3ll?

I can recommend the pan-fried chicken in garlic butter, salad and saute potatos at 180 Bt.

Freedom Bar is doing good business. Lots of people throughout the night.

The head Chav certainly knows how to run a bar, all credit to him.

God's Waiting Room Night-Life

As yet, I haven't managed to get my arse out of Chalong, Rawai, or, Nai Harn for a night out elsewhere.

What I have seen is that it's quiet.

Really quiet.

At some of my regular bar-beer stops, I'll ask the women where "the German with no neck", or, the "Aussie with the crazy wife", is.

Gone home is the answer. Seems like there were a lot of people living here by the skin-of-their-teeth during the boom.

The global economic downturn and very low interest rates have done them in.

Looking forward to an evening in Patong.

ha ha ha.. Hed love to hear that..

At some of my regular bar-beer stops, I'll ask the women where "the German with no neck", or, the "Aussie with the crazy wife", is.

The scary thing is. I could pick 2 perfect examples that fit this..

Charlies Burger.

Had to go to the Freedom Bar and check out this burger.

I had the Wolf-thingy burger with cheese, streaky bacon and chips.

Really good. If they would change the bun, it could be the best burger on the island.

Not really good value for money at 300 Bt, but, hey, what-the h3ll?

I can recommend the pan-fried chicken in garlic butter, salad and saute potatos at 180 Bt.

Freedom Bar is doing good business. Lots of people throughout the night.

Where exactly is the Freedom Bar? The names familiar, but just can't put an actual location to it? Thanks.

Where exactly is the Freedom Bar? The names familiar, but just can't put an actual location to it? Thanks.

From the main highway from Chalong, the road turns sharply to the right (Next to the Rawai Flints-one bakery).

50 mtrs on the right is Freedom bar. Go anther 20 mtrs and there is Nikita Bar on the left and the Salaloy restaurant.

From the main highway from Chalong, the road turns sharply to the right (Next to the Rawai Flints-one bakery).

50 mtrs on the right is Freedom bar. Go anther 20 mtrs and there is Nikita Bar on the left and the Salaloy restaurant.

Roger. I think I was in there about an hour or so ago, on the way back from taking the dogs swimming near the Food Court, asking which Premiership football match they were showing tomorrow night.

I was at Freedom last night.  Charlie is apparently very sick at the moment according to his English manager that is running the place.  BTW they have a good Thai band that plays good western music.  Last night seemed to be Santana night and the lead guitarist plays really well.

Roger. I think I was in there about an hour or so ago, on the way back from taking the dogs swimming near the Food Court, asking which Premiership football match they were showing tomorrow night.

That's the place.

OK. A buddy of mine gets back from Angola tonight (he lives in Kata), and we were looking for an alternative venue to watch Man Utd games other than either watching at home or one of the (crap) bars in Kata. Thinks we'll be in the Freedom tomorrow night, and I feel one of their burgers coming on.

or, the "Aussie with the crazy wife",

I think she nicked a bar-mat :)

If any of the above posters don't like looking at old farang blokes with tattoos and earrings, there's a new Thai bar/restaurant practically opposite the Freedom Bar called Chomlay (I think) right on the waterfront - a much nicer view than the Freedom Bar IMO and less raucous and nice Thai curries. Though it's horses for courses.

If any of the above posters don't like looking at old farang blokes with tattoos and earrings, there's a new Thai bar/restaurant practically opposite the Freedom Bar called Chomlay (I think) right on the waterfront - a much nicer view than the Freedom Bar IMO and less raucous and nice Thai curries. Though it's horses for courses.

Do they show English football?

Do they show English football?

I shouldn't think so - more of a chill out kinda place, somewhere to chat with your better half, have a curry and a quiet drink.

For footie - try the Islander or Coconut Paradise or you know where.

I shouldn't think so - more of a chill out kinda place, somewhere to chat with your better half, have a curry and a quiet drink.

For footie - try the Islander or Coconut Paradise or you know where.

So if i dont have a better half there is no point in going there "boring big time" i guess, then i will stay in Freedom bar :D:D

PS i dont like curry right now :):D

Bent the elbow in Kata - Karon last night.

Very, very quiet.

I always thought the drinks prices in this area compared to Patong was inflated.

Three months ago, a gin and tonic at a bar beer was 150 Baht.

Now? Believe it or not, they are charging 180 Baht. That comes to over US$5.

Typical Thai business 101. Less customers, put up the price to maintain income.

SB, the Government put the taxes up on alcohol recently - I think it's across the board but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know Mr CC's boxes of beer have gone up quite a bit. Some bars, shops have started passing on the tax. Yeh - it's not a good way to attract punters into bars during a recession, is it?

Beer prices going up, I can see being due to the tax increase, but, a gin and tonic at 180 Baht when there are other bars still selling at 90 Baht in Chalong and 120 Baht in Kata?

Nah.....it's shear greed.

I'm sticking with my local Rawai bars for the moment.Still only paying 40 -45 bht for a beer.

Got stung in Kata a couple weeks ago100bht for a Tiger when I told she was taking the urine she said you come back after 8-00 pm No Happy Hour you pay bht120.I don't think so.Once bitten and all that.

Yes just Greedy

SB, the Government put the taxes up on alcohol recently - I think it's across the board but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know Mr CC's boxes of beer have gone up quite a bit. Some bars, shops have started passing on the tax. Yeh - it's not a good way to attract punters into bars during a recession, is it?

Beer has gone up 140 baht on a box of 24.. So 6 or so baht..

Doesnt need to put the sale price up be 50%..

I have had some amusing conversations with thais lately over thier confusion to 'where are the farangs'.. one even followed up from 'in patong thai people treat farang like food'.. with a lion grabbing and biting its prey motion... to 2 mins later saying how it was awful in her biz and 'why no farang come'.. I pointed out maybe farangs didnt want to be someones food.. Which got a slow dawning look spread across her face.. Comedy if nothing else.