Authorised Harley Davidson Dealer Bangkok

dynabob

Can anyone tell me if I am allowed to ship my HArley from the UNited States to Thailand and if so how to go about doing it. I have a 2008 105th addition Classic Softtail with less than 100 miles, ( I work in Iraq) and I will be getting mairred and moving to Thailand and would like to bring my bike, can anyone help. Thanks

Can anyone tell me if I am allowed to ship my HArley from the UNited States to Thailand and if so how to go about doing it. I have a 2008 105th addition Classic Softtail with less than 100 miles, ( I work in Iraq) and I will be getting mairred and moving to Thailand and would like to bring my bike, can anyone help. Thanks

The short answer is no. The long answer is no and do not even try

Use the search function re seized bikes and importing bikes/cars

Well rechecked all my paperwork and all is well :) .

Please explain how, unless you personally imported it, you can be so sure that the bike hasnt had its numbers professionally changed to match that paperwork ??

Thats the key.. When its done properly, there is no way to be sure.

So no one buying you bike can ever really know.

Yes i have a file 2"thick that came with bike ,from exporter's in japan,shipping company,thai custom clearance cert,which descibes the way bike was imported,

and lot's more which i studied hard before 1thb was paid

Did same now went throught everything again no grey area. :)

Great. One of the few clean ones.

How does page 18 in your greenbook look like?

And how did they pass emission with a japs HD? You should have a certificate and invoice from emissiontest too.

do you want me to scan and post them,may as well do my bank ac and medical record's while i am at it.

Katabeachbum,i apprecate your concern,but i am 47 and wear long pant's

The page 18 is highly relevant.. Because thats the one that customs seem to 'forget' to stamp.. and is causing hel_l in some provinces on fuly legal bikes.

Page 18 of the green book should have some info stating the taxes paid, if it was imported whole or in parts.

Perfectly 'legal' big bikes are caught up in this problem right now.

The other answer is it can come in very very easily as a temp import, for up to 6 months at a time, and I know guys on us harleys who have had thier bikes here for years on this system without paying a cent.

Legal import and getting Thai plates however is expensive, but can be done.

Please explain how, unless you personally imported it, you can be so sure that the bike hasnt had its numbers professionally changed to match that paperwork ??

Dynabob did say that he has all the original paperwork from the Japanese exporter. I trust he would have noticed if the VIN from Japan did not match the VIN on his bike. So, safe to say he can be confident that his bike is in fact perfectly legit.

The other answer is it can come in very very easily as a temp import, for up to 6 months at a time, and I know guys on us harleys who have had thier bikes here for years on this system without paying a cent.

This sounds fine until you are in an accident and they discover that your temporary import really isn't a temporary import. Then what? And even IF you can buy insurance what insurance company would ever honor a claim on such a bike? And I guess you have to border run your bike every 6 months? A 2008 105th edition Classic Softtail has got to be worth a pretty penny. I'd think long and hard before sending it over to Thailand. No guarantee it can clear customs or pass the emissions test. Only send it if you can afford to lose it.

Dynabob did say that he has all the original paperwork from the Japanese exporter. I trust he would have noticed if the VIN from Japan did not match the VIN on his bike. So, safe to say he can be confident that his bike is in fact perfectly legit.

Why is it people dont seem to get this..

Take the entire paper bundle.. Including the VIN number.. on a legally imported bike.. And change the VINs on an illegal bike.

Thats a grey bike.. And you CANNOT tell !! And its done all the time on wrecked or damaged bikes. Bikes are even brogh in 'to order' when they have a paperwork bundle to match.

This sounds fine until you are in an accident and they discover that your temporary import really isn't a temporary import. Then what? And even IF you can buy insurance what insurance company would ever honor a claim on such a bike? And I guess you have to border run your bike every 6 months? A 2008 105th edition Classic Softtail has got to be worth a pretty penny. I'd think long and hard before sending it over to Thailand. No guarantee it can clear customs or pass the emissions test. Only send it if you can afford to lose it.

Temp import is fully legal.. Yes it needs to visa run every 6 months.. And yes insurance is available..

One guy I know even had to claim and it was all taken care of..

I do admit tho its a royal pain in the arse, less so if you live a couple hours from a border you can take vehicles across easily.. The Malay border is far more open than the Northern countries borders.. A buddy just drove a car across both directions without making being asked to make any declarations at all.. Bikes even less so, you have to stop to remind them to do that papers these days.

Hi Dynabob,

For my understanding, the experience at the dealer was about 2 things right?

1. price difference between dealer and another shop for the same part.

2. not willing to trade in your bike because "we don't trade in grey area harley's"ie imported as part's;

The 1st issue may happen between any other shop, dealer or not.

The 2nd issue is disturbing.

I checked the HD dealer website and noted the following:

1. Established in 1999 as Powersport

2. Appointer HD dealer in 2005

3. In 2006 they got a license to import assembled HD's

As far as I know, there was not a HD dealer before who was licensed to do this.

In summary, any HD before 2006 was not imported by this HD dealer under this license.

Since this dealer is the sole dealer in Thailand, how did the HD's came in Thailand before?

Many different ways:

1. Thai expats returning from the US who were allowed to bring in tax free as personal item

2. Foreign expats wh officially imported and registered (maybe initially tax free eg. UN, embassies etc.??)

3. Second hand / used, from US or Japan, either as a whole or in parts.

etc.

2nd summary:

All the above ways of importing are legal as longs as duties are paid and the bike is registered with a "green" book.

Also reading the thread some members suggest that some books are dodgy, or VIN numbers have been replaced. Possible. But guilty only when proven.

Now coming back on his statement: "we don't trade in grey area harley's"ie imported as part's.

Did he take your book and checked against the customs database or any other?

IS HE SUGGESTING THAT YOUR BIKE IS ILLEGAL????

He is insulting you and you should confront him on that.

Cheers!

All the above ways of importing are legal as longs as duties are paid and the bike is registered with a "green" book.

Also reading the thread some members suggest that some books are dodgy, or VIN numbers have been replaced. Possible. But guilty only when proven.

Guilty only when proven, but given the statisticaly high amount of books that are not clean in one way or another, be that a bribe to slide through emissions first time to a full blown numbers filed and restamped.. It makes perfect sense.

Simply having a green book is not enough any more... Many possible issues even with booked bikes.

No he is just saying that as a main dealer, and given the huge % of bikes books and history that are not perfect.. Then its not in thier interest to deal in them.

His bike ise a 2006 how many bikes could there be in Thailand that theu could do that shit?Its the first bike /yeai the made it!

Other way round.. You source the bike overseas to match the Thai paperwork..

So find any Thai bike papers from a wrecked or whatever bike.. Then bring the bike in and do the ringing..

Its not Thailand where you look for them so they are got to order.

hi everybody.

Well i sold bike today to a longterm resident of thailand(frang) .He took the book and all paper work and came back about 2 hours later with a big smile,all paperwork duties in order.

he went to dept of transport and they passed it.

My vin's were the same i got i t checked by hd ireland it came back clean.

FB made a good point about year 06,might i add 06 was the last year of the 1450 t.c and the first year of the six speed.

1450twin cam 6 speed very rare here i think.

Guilty only when proven, but given the statisticaly high amount of books that are not clean in one way or another, be that a bribe to slide through emissions first time to a full blown numbers filed and restamped.. It makes perfect sense.

Simply having a green book is not enough any more... Many possible issues even with booked bikes.

No he is just saying that as a main dealer, and given the huge % of bikes books and history that are not perfect.. Then its not in thier interest to deal in them.

How many used harley's have you seen in a jap dealer's and visa virsa,but you go into any jap dealer and you wil see all the top make's,jap rider's have so many different dealer's to co and get agreat deal from,.

now you canse my point,this is the first time i have heard of a hd dealer refuseing a trade in .

a hd rider may trade up a year on his current hog,then you have the one trade's up to his first new bike,and the one .then you have the rider,who is trading up from his first harley and then you have the man not much money .

if all harley dealers took the same approach sale's of would grind to a halt.