Chiang Mai - A Great Place To Visit

Mapguy

IMO Chiang Mai is a great place to live, not visit.

I think it's a great place to visit, too. Beats Bangkok (and most other Thai cities) by a mile, for starters.

I agree that Chiang Mai beats Bangkok by a country mile. In Bangkok it is just too difficult to get around. Once you visit the King's palace, the temple of dawn (Wat Arun) and take a few boat rides on the canals it's like any other huge metropolis... just too dam_n big. There are good and bad places to eat everywhere. Plonk me down in a Four Seasons Hotel (or any other big chain hotel) anywhere in the world and I would have a hard time knowing what country I'm in. Shopping is something that women do. If you don't believe me then compare the number of shops related to the separate sexes in any mall everywhere in the world.

Living on day to day life means dealing with people. Most of us don't have time for more than a few good friends. Everyone is busy doing their own thing. Unless you can fluently speak the language of the country you are living in the advantage of living in a big city over a town or village becomes negligible. If you can get everything you need in a small city or town then there are no advantages to living in a large city.

Well,I would second a lot of this opinion, but not altogether.

I suggest that even in very big cities there are neighborhoods where you find some comfort in sharing life there with people. I knew Manhattan, New York City, in this way. If you just look at the megalopolis aspect of large cities, you will indeed feel like a lost soul.

As well, I suspect that many TV Chiang Mai posters travel their comfortable paths through this small city and are not particularly knowledgeable about it because they really do not get out and around very much! Look at the popular threads: restaurants (especially focusing on something free at ThaiVisa piss-ups at Chas'es place), "Big Box" stores, bar girls, and --- well --- you know..........just cruise on through the threads and take a count at the hits and posts. Priceless, there's a bit of research for you to do!

Otherwise, who needs really big cities unless you like the noise and the crowd! Exciting things not available in Chiang Mai can be an upper, especially when you consider places like New York, London, Toronto, even Sydney (I am stretching the point!) offer! I have just mentioned four cities since this Chiang Mai web venue is so unapologetically Anglocentric! If you are a Kiwi or a Kenyan, please speak up!

Or, if there are actually such subscribers to TV Chiang Mai (There is scant evidence!), how about Paris, Berlin, Vienna, Prague, Geneva or other? You will note that I have left out Nordic countries. They have a verrrrrrrrrrrry long winter that aquavit can not wholly overcome, especially given the very strict drunk driving laws which will land you in jail before you pull to the side of the road!

P.S. Of course, I would appreciate it if thoughtful TV readers would correct my spelling and grammar! Cheers! Otherwise, just maintaining my flow-of-consciousness posts!

I will grant you that, Mapguy. I adored visiting the famous European art galleries. Standing in front of an actual Turner painting, or one of the many other paintings done by artists from the 15th century forward was breath taking. So was visiting the museums of natural history in London, New York and Washington. You could spend months in those places and not see it all. Those places are not available to anyone outside the few, truly great cities of the world. But, you can't see Ayutthaya or Ankor Wat if you are anywhere in North America either.

Generally speaking, including myself. I believe that showed from the context that disappeared from your quote! :)

The point I made is that Chiang Mai IS interesting for a shorter or longer visit as a tourist, and that when you live a long time in a place you get so used to the interesting sights that they perhaps don't register as much as they used to. But to tourists they DO register. This applies especially when you get stuck in a rut (yes, including myself), it's especially good to go be a tourist every once in a while and take a walk around Chiang Mai town not long after dawn and see what goes on, look at the people, the vendors, the monks, the houses, the markets and temples.

had some friends from london over recently for a 3-night visit to chiang mai and they were blown away by the place. that was good for reminding me what a fantastic city it is and not to take it for granted. all the little details that they pointed out were things that i find i no longer think about here, so that refreshed my view of the place. it's a fantastic place to visit for tourists who are open-minded about new experiences and want to see something completely different to what they're used to.

I thought Ankor Wat resembled Palenque - which was in North America before that Italian, Columbus (who never touched the mainland). Mexico City has a world-class museum, a few Frida Kahlo paintings, even more Mexican restaurants than San Antonio, a metro...but no tuk-tuks.

I thought Ankor Wat resembled Palenque - which was in North America before that Italian, Columbus (who never touched the mainland). Mexico City has a world-class museum, a few Frida Kahlo paintings, even more Mexican restaurants than San Antonio, a metro...but no tuk-tuks.

Mexico also has an American expat journalist who likes to stir things up. He's spent a fair bit of time in Thailand. His name is Fred Reed... as in... fredoneverything.net

Look up his many articles and get your juices boiling.