Making Thai Id Card

My elder son is born in April 1994 in Phayao and is a Thai Naional.

Can you advice me how to go about to make his Thai ID Card.

At what age is the Thai Id Card made for Thai Nationals ?

What documents are required at the time of making the Id Card ?

Whose presence is required at the time of making the ID Card i.e. Mother,Father or Both or None ?

How long does the process take ?

What Government Office is the ID card made in ?

Does any money have to be spent for making the ID Card ?

Identification Card

Filing for an Identification Card for the first time

Procedures

Upon reaching 15 years of age a person of Thai nationality is required to file for an Identification Card. Failure to file for the Card within 60 days will result in a fine of 500 baht.

The applicant is required to file for the Identification Card at the local District Office where the House Registration Certificate is registered.

No service fee is required.

Required Documents

The House Registration Certificate.

The applicant is required to submit other official documents, e.g. Birth Certificate or Testimonials, to the Registrar as evidence to prove that the person filing a request for an Identification Card is the same person whose name is registered on the House Registration Certificate.

If the applicant filing for an Identification Card is an alien, he or she is required to submit Alien Registration Cards of the father and mother at the District Office.

If the person is unable to provide the documents mentioned in clause 2 at the District Office upon filing for an Identification card, he or she is required to bring the house owner or a trustworthy individual to testify.

Procedures

Upon filing the request, if documents are accurate, the District Officer will take a photograph and issue a Temporary Card (Yellow Card) to the applicant. The Temporary Card will be valid for 30 days.

Upon expiration of the Temporary Card, the applicant is required to contact the District Office for a permanent Identification Card. If the applicant is not available, he or she can authorize his/her father, mother, spouse or relatives (must be of legal age) to pick up the Card. The applicant is required to write and sign on the back of Temporary Card as follows (in Thai): "I hereby authorize (name of the authorized person, and relationship to the card-holder), to be my authorized representative to obtain my Identification Card ".

Special Services

If the applicant requests the Identification Card to be delivered by mail, he or she is required to provide two envelopes with stamps affixed to them to the District Officer. One envelope is to be addressed to the applicant and one to the District Office for returning the Temporary Card (Yellow Card).

If the applicant urgently needs an Identification Card, he or she is required to contact the Bureau of Registration Administration, located at Nakornsawan Rd., Wang Chaiya, Nanglerng Sub-district, Dusit District, Bangkok. Tel: 281-2150. Upon contacting the Office of Registration Division, the applicant is required to submit a copy of the Temporary Card (Yellow Card) to an officer. A permanent card will be available for collection within 15 days.

http://www.dopa.go.th/English/servi/bp2.htm

My Wife's folks in Phayao are saying that I can bring the Child till 17 years of age and get the ID Card made by paying the 500 Baht late fine.

ADVICE PLEASE

Else If I am wrong I will have to catch a flight and go Right Away

I will be calling the Thai Embassy here in India and take their opinion also, which I would post here too.

Edited by ucomservices

Upon reaching 15 years of age a person of Thai nationality is required to file for an Identification Card. Failure to file for the Card within 60 days will result in a fine of 500 baht.

My wife helped a lady get her first ID card when she was 39 years old and it took all day.

The sooner you get it the better. He will be asked for it a lot more now that is old enought to have one. Even the school may ask for it.

i stuck my neck out and said i would help a Thai lady friend get her ID card.She had to go all the way back to were she was born to get hers because she was born before 1980 and they did not have it on computor records.

I checked from the Thai Embassy over here and they said that it the date for the age for making the card is defined but till what age is not defined.

But still it is better that the sooner you get it made the better as getting it made sooner would require less paperwork and hassels.

So, Folks I guess there is not a set age for making the Id card, so I will be maiking it next year when we go to Thailand.

Bye, Folks and thanks.