Passport Expires In 1 Months Will He Be Able To Travel To Thailand?

My husband wants to come to thailand to have a short vacation before we both leave to Russia, his passport expires on 23.06.09 while it is very soon he will have his return ticket from Thailand on 5.06.09, ( so he willleave Thailand before his passport expires ) do you think it is impossible? and he will not be able to come here or it all depends on the person who will stamp him visa extemption ( Russians have 30 days visa extemtion )

if anyone had experience with this please post here! :)

The rule has been the passport has to have at least 6 months before expiration before a Visa can be issued. Not sure if that applies to a visa on arrival though. From the Royal Thai Consulate General - Los Angeles website. Also, the Royal Thai Embassy, Washington says the same thing.

What do you mean by "passport must be valid for at least six months?"

Your passport must not expire within six months from the date you apply for the visa to Thailand. This does not mean that your passport must be at least six months old. Please note that our office cannot issue the Thai visa if the passport will expire earlier than six months.

yeah I know that... that's why I think just taking chanses with visa extempton is the only way.... don't know if it will go through...

The Royal Thai Embassy website also says for visas on arrival, passports must have 6 months validity remaining. And yes, he will be taking a chance. Why not apply for a new one?

PS: The airline may not even let him board the aircraft as they are responsible for returning him if he is refused entry.

Plus the airline will in all probabilities stop him from boarding as they are liable if refused entry on arrival.

yep the airline will stop him,no need to wait for immigration officer,

one must have atleast 6 months valid passport before departing from any country,thats international law...

Forget it - he will never be able to fly.

Even 3 months is unlikely, and one month no way.

Even if he got a visa (which is most unlikely) the airline will not take a chance that they would have to fly him back again if he is refused admission into Thailand.

Get the passport renewed, now. They used to have a system whereby if you went in person to the passport office in London you could get it very quickly, but you need a good reason.

not in Russia... it will take 2-3 months at least ( we have checked ) to get the new one... I am cursing him at the moment since I told him to get it done and he just merely forgot to do it....

he should be able to get out of Russia half way ( he is flying through DUbai and he has residence visa there so he does not need the passport to enter the country) but then to Bangkok....

but if he has a return ticket why you are saying that airline will be responcible to fly him back??? he has a ticket to he can just move his date and fly with his ticket back if he's refused the entry...

Edited by LazyCat

but if he has a return ticket why you are saying that airline will be responcible to fly him back??? he has a ticket to he can just move his date and fly with his ticket back if he's refused the entry...

Because he has to pass through immigration entry then exit control in order to get on the flight leaving back using his onward ticket. Only a transit visa would preclude going through immigration.

Because he has to pass through immigration entry then exit control in order to get on the flight leaving back using his onward ticket. Only a transit visa would preclude going through immigration.

uh! you are right.... well then I guess I will have to travel back to Russia alone with 2 infants.... that really is no good for me ;( I was kinda angry at him before but now... I am completely mad ... it's like 10 hours fight... me and 2 kids... niiiiiiiiiice :)

Even if he gets on the plane at Dubai, which is a no goer, and lands at Bangkok, the Immigration here will send him back to Dubai, and the Airline that brought him from Dubai to Bangkok will have to pay a fine and also take him back to Dubai.

Am sure that he can get a Passport quicker in Russia if he was to show his outward ticket, when applying

or

If he can get to Dubai without problems, why not apply for a Passport there.

http://www.gconsdubai.mid.ru/

Link to embassy in Dubai

Edited by beano2274

uh! you are right.... well then I guess I will have to travel back to Russia alone with 2 infants.... that really is no good for me ;( I was kinda angry at him before but now... I am completely mad ... it's like 10 hours fight... me and 2 kids... niiiiiiiiiice :)

Sorry about your problem. I understand it's warm in Russia this time of year but sounds like it's going to be pretty cold for him. :D

"one must have atleast 6 months valid passport before departing from any country,thats international law..."

I find that very hard to believe. What law is that?

So, let's say you come to Thailand with a tourist visa, with six months left on your passport. When You're ready to leave after 2-3 months, Thai immigration won't let you leave because the passport isn't valid for another 6 months?

Call me a sceptic.

Sorry about your problem. I understand it's warm in Russia this time of year but sounds like it's going to be pretty cold for him. :D

you can't imagine how mad I am now...

there is no way to make a Russian travelling doculents faster than 1month ... and that's when he's in Russia.. if he'd do it in Dubai it would take 6 months !!! I know better coz I have been through that.... like 4 times... never faster than 4 months if it's done outside of Russia...

in Russia they can make one FAST like 3 days if I write a telegram that someone died in the family which I will not do, as I believe it is not a good thing to say or write.... other than that even with money under table it's 1 months... I don't know how we'll get through it but.... now am just p!ssed....sorry guys...it's not your fault

"one must have atleast 6 months valid passport before departing from any country,thats international law..."

So, let's say you come to Thailand with a tourist visa, with six months left on your passport. When You're ready to leave after 2-3 months, Thai immigration won't let you leave because the passport isn't valid for another 6 months?

Call me a sceptic.

you ar right it's not for ALL countries like that...like Canada don't mind if your passport is expiring the next day you leave the country, Turkey will need a month of passport life when you come in, USA ( if granted ) will put a 6 months visa into 3months left passport... so it is different for al places but Thailand seems to be like this... I was just thinking if he'd have a proof of travel before his passport is to expire it could be ok... anyways his passport would have still be valid when he wold return back to Russia... but rules are rules...

Call me a sceptic.

If you are American you should check The State Departments website, states cleary 6 months, same as Canada and a few other countries, just use Google

or check this

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13342877/

Edited by beano2274

My husband wants to come to thailand to have a short vacation before we both leave to Russia, his passport expires on 23.06.09 while it is very soon he will have his return ticket from Thailand on 5.06.09, ( so he willleave Thailand before his passport expires ) do you think it is impossible? and he will not be able to come here or it all depends on the person who will stamp him visa extemption ( Russians have 30 days visa extemtion )

if anyone had experience with this please post here! :D

:)

I see a lot of people have already replied.

The rule says that Thai immigration requires a six month validity on the passport on entry.

When he enters country the entry card will ask for "date of expiration of passport" so when he arrives at immigration in the air port they will see that entry.

Probably they won't let him in, but his only chance is to show the outward ticket and hope they let him in.

I would say the chances are low, but they may possibly agree to let him in.

My guess, however, is they won't allow him in with that passport....but he might be lucky.

If it is possible to get a new passport...I realise that is a problem...but it is the best answer.

:D

He will not be allowed on the flight.

This from a IATA website through Delta.

/ 24MAY09 / 0044 UTC

National Russian Federation (RU)/Destination Thailand (TH)

Thailand (TH)

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months upon arrival.

Visa required, except for A touristic stay of max. 30 days:

- for holders of normal passports, being nationals of Russian

Federation;

Additional Information:

- All passports must be in good condition.

- Those travelling to Thailand with a visa issued prior to

arrival, are permitted to travel on a one-way ticket.

- All visitors must hold documents required for their next

destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age must hold sufficient funds to

cover their stay (at least THB 20,000.- or USD 640.- per

person/family). For details, click here

- Applicable to those who do not need a visa:

For details, click here

Warning:

- Non-compliance with visa requirements will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of the passenger; and

- fines for the airline of THB 20,000.-; and

- overstay fine for the passenger of THB 500.- per day (but

not exceeding in total THB 20,000.-).

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - INFLUENZA A(H1N1)

Timaticweb Version 1.3

24 May 2009

Source: http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_webs...ubuser=DELTAB2C

Call me a sceptic.

The problem in most cases is with the airlines. If doing their job at check-in they will not board you if less than six months remains on your passport. In case you are already in a foreign country the airline will only board you on a flight to country where passport was issued if less than six months remain on passport. These are the rules as pointed out by a Qantas check-in agent in Melbourne when she noticed I has just over 6 months remaining on passport and was not returning to my country. She wanted me to be aware of restrictions before I had travel problems.

not in Russia... it will take 2-3 months at least ( we have checked ) to get the new one... I am cursing him at the moment since I told him to get it done and he just merely forgot to do it....

he should be able to get out of Russia half way ( he is flying through DUbai and he has residence visa there so he does not need the passport to enter the country) but then to Bangkok....

why i dont make a new one before buy air plane tickets

Ayutthaya69 I don't know WHY YOU DON'T MAKE A NEW ONE BEFORE BUY AIR PLANE TICKETS but if you can read I said and have to repeat again he has no time now ( new Russian passport takes 2 months to make, and Ihave no time to wait here another 2 months, I have to leave before June ) , and when he had time he did not make it, which is not my fault....

sometimes I don't really get people here if you are too bored to actually read the post why bother writing useless coments????