Window Security Bars

eddiemonster

They are a deterrent. I have them and feel much better knowing it will take a thief a lot of extra time and effort to get in (and noise). Nothing is foolproof and if they really want in they can come through the roof. Bars on the windows just make life harder for them.

I believe in the old adage "locks (etc) are only there to keep the honest people out" however, good security might deter someone from making the effort to break in.

I have had a quote for installing window security bars using 1cm2 square steel bars. Would these be adequate to stop your 'average' burglar getting in?

We have them fitted to all windows, and always leave the windows open 24/7 and sleep easy.

Each of my security grills are fitted to the wall with 18 rawl bolts with a spot of weld on the nuts.

Security grills either on the outside or the inside are areal pain when it comes to cleaning windows especially if you have the aluminum or plastic sliding ones and if you have out ward opening windows the security grill must be on the inside and you try getting your arm thru every day to close the windows....what a pain in the arse that is

Apart from the front and back doors there is no escape in the event of a fire especially if you live in a two story house.

If i get them installed i will be thinking about a hinge along the top of the security grill with some kind of bolt or locking system around the rest of the 3 sides haven't quite worked this out yet but at least if hinged it makes it a lot easier to clean the windows and getting out in case of fire.

Just a thought

I don't worry too much about fire as there is nothing flammable in the house between the bedrooms and the exits, plus it is a single story house.

Agreed. People make too much of the fire danger from window bars in Thailand. With the brick and cement-block wall construction and tile roofs, there really isn't much to catch fire and burn.

Security grills either on the outside or the inside are areal pain when it comes to cleaning windows especially if you have the aluminum or plastic sliding ones and if you have out ward opening windows the security grill must be on the inside and you try getting your arm thru every day to close the windows....what a pain in the arse that is

Apart from the front and back doors there is no escape in the event of a fire especially if you live in a two story house.

If i get them installed i will be thinking about a hinge along the top of the security grill with some kind of bolt or locking system around the rest of the 3 sides haven't quite worked this out yet but at least if hinged it makes it a lot easier to clean the windows and getting out in case of fire.

Just a thought

If the grills are on the outside, the typical Thai sliding windows can be lifted out onto the grills then lifted inside then taken outside for a bloody good wash and polish, surprising the amount of crap that ends up in the box channel.

If you are concerned about a making a quick exit, you could have one of the grills held on with wing nuts fitted on the inside.

The other point of course is that an opportunist is looking for a quick in quick out opportunity, my neighbours either side have been done over three times each over the past four years, they have had no security bars, we have not had a problem yet, my neighbours have now had the bars fitted.

The think that upset me most was the lady next door had just moved in , came home to find the place ransacked and she was stood outside crying her heart out, frightened to go in the house and knew nobody in the village, I calmed her down and got her to call the police and her insurance and I have to say the BIB responded very quickly considering we live on the dark side. She eventually went back to her own family and the house has lain empty for six months!

Recently it would appear that the most common mode of entry for the burglars is through the roof, so sure the bars are a deterrent, but in the same way as door/window contacts, without motion detectors linked to an alarm system they are rendered useless.

I'm not sure of prices of these as they were included when I bought my house, but you can get a top quality alarm system for 10-20,000 baht, depending on size, I really don't understand why anyone wouldn't have one. A flashing box outside is a bigger deterrent than bars in my opinion and is certainly not unsightly.

Pm me if you want the contact, good friend of mine, and will supply anywhere in Thailand.

Recently it would appear that the most common mode of entry for the burglars is through the roof, so sure the bars are a deterrent, but in the same way as door/window contacts, without motion detectors linked to an alarm system they are rendered useless.

I'm not sure of prices of these as they were included when I bought my house, but you can get a top quality alarm system for 10-20,000 baht, depending on size, I really don't understand why anyone wouldn't have one. A flashing box outside is a bigger deterrent than bars in my opinion and is certainly not unsightly.

Pm me if you want the contact, good friend of mine, and will supply anywhere in Thailand.

Hi, what part of Thailand is your friend based in?

• 2 weeks later...

you could look into a company called meshtec.

Bloody expensive but apparantly the cream de la creme ?

for you aussies out there they say its the same as a system called crimpsafe ?

No more bars and doubles as a mossie screen aswell

No possibility of thick safety glass or bullet proof glass in the windows rather than bars. I find the bars are such a pain.

Very interesting suggestion, never thought of that. Dont suppose you have any idea how much this kind of glass is?

Without going to thick bullet proof glass there is a plastic film which I have seen advertised - this is applied to the glass and makes it nearly impossible to break thru, however - this is only one aspect of keeping the "drop-kicks" out - if you have bullet proof glass with weak frames and poor locks they will gain entry that way, therefore strong window frames, attachments and good locking fixtures are just as important - or fit security screens - I agree, not always the best looking or user friendly arrangement.

Edited by Artisi

I use extra thick glass with the safety glass film/tint back in Oz. Cost of glass generally over there wasn't too bad. This setup cost me a bit over double what standard untreated glass cost. Not sure what bullet proof glass would cost. I would have thought the safety glass film would be cheaper in Thailand.

We had our place broken into several years back. These window grills that came with the house, a thin 10mm by 2mm thick banding welded into diagonal pattern. They knew exactly how to quickly break through it by using a wrench to snap the welds. I recommend 10mm x 10mm with good welds.

Good luck

We had our place broken into several years back. These window grills that came with the house, a thin 10mm by 2mm thick banding welded into diagonal pattern. They knew exactly how to quickly break through it by using a wrench to snap the welds. I recommend 10mm x 10mm with good welds.

Good luck

Sorry to hear that.

Is there one company over another that you have found that is selling these larger bars with good welds?