Penang: Good Place To Live?

Hi......like many other expats, I am searching for an alternative to the insanity that Thailand presents, along with its anti-foreigner visa and business rules (and, no, I don't have a visa problem in Thailand).

Penang, Malaysia is catching my eye. I would like to hear from expats--especially those with experience living in both Thailand and Malaysia--what it is like living in Penang.

Any input on lifestyle, safety, schools, beaches, malls, housing (types/costs), food, visas, nightlife, and xenophobia (anti-Western attitudes) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kinda quiet there, have you been before? id take a 2 week vaca there before i even entertained the thought. Dont they have some fairly strict rules when it comes to muslim female/non muslim male relations? ive read a few things but im not sure how true they are... Why not try vietnam, phillipines, cambodia, china, korea, bali, plenty more exciting reasonably priced places to live

really, penang is somewhat like pattaya without the bars Although, I am sure you can find girls for hire if u look hard enough. on the plus side, it's more modern, english is widely spoken, there are nice green parts of the island, nice beaches not far away (although no realy good beach on the main island). the islam thing is over stated..they are really quite moderate and not that fussed when non muslims do their own thing.

really, penang is somewhat like pattaya without the bars Although, I am sure you can find girls for hire if u look hard enough. on the plus side, it's more modern, english is widely spoken, there are nice green parts of the island, nice beaches not far away (although no realy good beach on the main island). the islam thing is over stated..they are really quite moderate and not that fussed when non muslims do their own thing.

Thanks for the posts. It sounds like a place worth exploring, and not just on a short visa run. I think you would probably have to live there for three months to get a feel for it.

One word: BORING!

It's like Malaysia as a whole...more advanced that Thailand, with commensurate higher cost of living, but not as expensive as Singapore (but not as developed). People are nice and generally well spoken in English. Having been colonized by the Brits and being a truly multi-racial and religious society, though there are tensions and some problems, Malaysians are generally more open to other cultures, have more interest in the world outside Malaysia, and just more worldly than most Thais.

Food can be very good in Malaysia and is as cheap or cheaper than Thailand. Weather is about the same. Penang is not very scenic and has crappy beaches and dirty water (it sits right on the busiest shipping lane in the world...the Malacca Straits) and months of horrendous air pollution every year from forest clearing burns in Sumatra next door.

Entertainment (cinema, TV, bars, bowling, nitelife, whatever) is nothing compared to Thailand. I used to go stir-crazy having to stay there just 1 or 2 nites processing a visa in the past. If if wasn't for the complete boredom factor, it might be a nice alternative to Thailand.

However, some places on the Malaysian mainland might be interesting.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

I only spent a few days there and it was the hottest place I have been[apart from Marrakech 41c] with 100% humidity,damm it was unbearable, then it rained Like I have never seen

and I have traveled in the tropics, got stuck on Samui in 1979 It rained non stop in november for 5 days no roads or ferry no where to go.

In 5mins the street were under a foot of water and the have deep gullys on the sides of the streets saw a couple of backpackers go in.

Just keep in mind the nearer the equator the wetter it is :)

I dont know how common this is, but, if you have any women in your life, wife and/or daughter etc, then they may have a more uncomfortable time than in Thailand. I can only speak of my personal experience and as a western woman (no idea if it differs for woman of other cultures/nationalities)who was there for only a few days. During that time I was approached quite often, called out by men in cars, and generally felt watched and followed. I was dressed respectfully too. When I wanted to go around the Botanical gardens a lady who served me a cool drink at the stall just inside the gate, warned me not to go too far. She told me that women are often assaulted if alone. I personally felt unsafe and uncomfortable. Kuala Lumpur was quite different for me (then again I was with a male friend during that trip), but Penang, from this females perspective, felt quite restrictive and claustrophobic.

I dont know how common this is, but, if you have any women in your life, wife and/or daughter etc, then they may have a more uncomfortable time than in Thailand. I can only speak of my personal experience and as a western woman (no idea if it differs for woman of other cultures/nationalities)who was there for only a few days. During that time I was approached quite often, called out by men in cars, and generally felt watched and followed. I was dressed respectfully too. When I wanted to go around the Botanical gardens a lady who served me a cool drink at the stall just inside the gate, warned me not to go too far. She told me that women are often assaulted if alone. I personally felt unsafe and uncomfortable. Kuala Lumpur was quite different for me (then again I was with a male friend during that trip), but Penang, from this females perspective, felt quite restrictive and claustrophobic.

How long ago was your visit Eek? I thought that the new Penang government (came in early 2008??) had had a big crackdown on crime.

Hmm..need to check passport for that...

Ok, June 07.

Then, it may be that my view isnt as relevant anymore. I havent been there since, so I dont know if the general vibe for a lone female would be better now or not. I didnt know about a crime crackdown. Good news. :)

Many male muslims are not repectful of women especialy western.The turks are very disgusting in their attitude to western women,both in verbal and touchy too.

If english women knew what turkish men say about them,i dont think any would go to Turkey no more.

Many male muslims are not repectful of women especialy western.The turks are very disgusting in their attitude to western women,both in verbal and touchy too.

If english women knew what turkish men say about them,i dont think any would go to Turkey no more.

Just to let you know that I have received some very positive messages from people who live in Penang now.......they sent the comments to me directly and have not posted here.

My guess is that it is better than most people are making it out to be........but you need to be living in the right area on the island and at this point I am not sure if I want to tell you where that is. :)

Certainly it is a viable alternative to Titanic-Thailand.

Just to let you know that I have received some very positive messages from people who live in Penang now.......they sent the comments to me directly and have not posted here.

My guess is that it is better than most people are making it out to be........but you need to be living in the right area on the island and at this point I am not sure if I want to tell you where that is. :)

I think for the right person or couple, Malaysia would be a very viable alternative to Thailand. The generally highe

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Hi......like many other expats, I am searching for an alternative to the insanity that Thailand presents, along with its anti-foreigner visa and business rules (and, no, I don't have a visa problem in Thailand).

Penang, Malaysia is catching my eye. I would like to hear from expats--especially those with experience living in both Thailand and Malaysia--what it is like living in Penang.

Any input on lifestyle, safety, schools, beaches, malls, housing (types/costs), food, visas, nightlife, and xenophobia (anti-Western attitudes) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

penang is like thailand . like thailand at 6am sunday.

you will be bored out your skull within 36 hours , tops .

i went there for a visa weekend and it was 2 days out of my life .

what nightlife ?

in a muslim country ? you have got NO chance .

even brad pitt couldn't get a jump there .

you want sanook ? .......stay in los .

Edited by captainmuff

Hmm..need to check passport for that...

Ok, June 07.

Then, it may be that my view isnt as relevant anymore. I havent been there since, so I dont know if the general vibe for a lone female would be better now or not. I didnt know about a crime crackdown. Good news. :D

I don't think it's crime free by any means, but I understand from some people living there that it has improved quite a lot. The racial mix is high on Chinese Malaysians, and a lot of Indian Malaysians too - not majority Malay. And quite a lot of expats both working and on the MM2H (retirement visa).

Probably going there next month for a visit. As a female :) I'll report back if there's any uncomfortable situations. (And yes I've been in that situation in the past in another muslim place.)

Actually, there are fewer muslims in Penang than in most other Malaysian cities - it is predominantly Chinese (buddhist or Christian).

I've visited there a few times over the years and always can't wait to get out - I found it amongst the most boring cities on the planet. The place and people are pleasant enough but just one big yawn after Thailand and most other places for that matter. I think KL would be a better bet - much more westernised and more of a melting pot.

Actually, there are fewer muslims in Penang than in most other Malaysian cities - it is predominantly Chinese (buddhist or Christian).

I've visited there a few times over the years and always can't wait to get out - I found it amongst the most boring cities on the planet. The place and people are pleasant enough but just one big yawn after Thailand and most other places for that matter. I think KL would be a better bet - much more westernised and more of a melting pot.

Thank you for your comments. Many people have called the place "boring."

Do you mean boring in the sense that it is not a replica of Walking Street or Patpong?

Or that you cant' find THAT in Malaysia?

Or do you mean boring for other reasons?

There are many expats with wives who don't care about whether or not is has a Walking Street.

Please clarify what you mean by boring.........thanks.

Really JR, lots of people have given you some good advice and opinions already and the only way for you to get a feel for Penang or Malaysia as a whole is to visit the place yourself. Malaysia can be a very viable option for expatriate retirees as the cost of living is very reasonable (especially outside Kuala Lumpur), the people are generally friendly and communication is often easier than in Thailand for the English speaker. And the MMSH scheme is a real winner compared to anything on offer in Thailand.

All that said, I still think there is a reason that more people retiree to Thailand than Malaysia...both single and married men. I have been to Malaysia maybe a dozen times for holidays and visa runs and spent time in Penang, Kuala Lumpur, and Kota Kinabalu (Borneo). I like the country and the people but for now, Thailand is still home. Many people, myself included, say it's "boring." This is not just a reference to the nitelife, as there is nitelife in KUL and other major cities...it's just hard to put a finger on it. Being more developed than Thailand, maybe it's just that things run more efficiently and so there is not the chaos factor you get in Thailand that we sometimes equate with the country being interesting. In Thailand, you never know what might happen (in a good or bad way) on any given day but in Malaysia, every day is predictable. This may be a plus for some people...but maybe makes the place "boring" to others.

One interesting fact, medical care in better in Thailand (if you have money) than in Malaysia. There is a serious shortage of skilled doctors and nurses in Malaysia and many of the MDs are imported from India. There can also be waits for services that don't occur in Thailand.

Tour packages or self-directed tours to Penang or KUL are cheap so just get down there and check the place out and see what you thnk. One nice thing are the short airport immigration lines and the friendly officers who greet you with a smile and greeting when you enter and exit the country...that sure makes it different than Thailand!

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Penang has a boring feel to it, hard to put a finger on what exactly makes it feel that way. I think the area is much more developed as far as basic things, how clean the streets are ect. The homes I saw while there seemed much nicer than the average in Thailand. Food was good sometime very good at cheap prices. The western food however if your coming from bkk is about 1/10 of what you will get here. A few good japanese places, one in the g hotel, but nothing outstanding. The people I met were all very friendly and helpful. The nightlife I guess is ok there are a few old school bars, as far as the patpong / walking street kind of nightlife I have no idea but I would have a hard time believing that it exists. Its a smallish city, it could be a great place for you if your married and prefer to live a quiet life. If your single and looking for excitment it may be a ok place to take a rest, and then get moving on.

Thanks.

The Chinese, Indians and Malays don't mix, they just tolerate each other with pent-up anger, and sometimes even fear.

Because of the religion thing the women can avoid using make-ups or keeping their figures in shape as its all covered-up ...

The upside for Penang - Georgetown is world heritage site, if they do it right! the new tourist route will be Penang, Angkor, Hailong Bay and by-passes LOS.

Being more developed than Thailand, maybe it's just that things run more efficiently and so there is not the chaos factor you get in Thailand that we sometimes equate with the country being interesting. In Thailand, you never know what might happen (in a good or bad way) on any given day but in Malaysia, every day is predictable. This may be a plus for some people...but maybe makes the place "boring" to others.

:):D:D

Now I know I'm in the wrong country. Oh boy.

Thanks.

i will drive you to the airport , what time tomorrow suits ?

Thanks.

and take your umbrella and wig with you .

Thanks.

This poster usually displays a negative attitude to Thailand, which is our adopted country in many cases. Mistersteven I would like to thank you for your generous offer and if you need petrol money please let me know. Gas I will give the original poster for free.

As to the post question itself:

*Penang is vibrant in a non Pattaya manner.

*The Malaysian people whether of Malay, Chinese or Indian origin have always been polite and helpful with very few exceptions.

My ex-wife a short attractive blonde (used to be) never ever had an issue whether I was with her or not.

She, her mother and our daughter used to go shopping in out of the main stream places around Malaysia generally & Penang without male guards.

*Cost of living is personal. Once you have the accommodation sorted out it is usally quite affordable in most parts of the

world unless you want to eat in expensive restaurants. I have proved this in many countries living as an expat and saving.

Remember some people can get bored watching your favourite movie. It is always individual and there are always whingers.

Thanks.

mistersteven, you make 2 of your first 6 posts here negative attacks. Get over your lame attitudes and look at the title of this forum, Southeast Asia

Personally I'd say give it a go. Having stayed in Penang a few times I found it a nice place. Not too much of a language barrier. Friendly people, pretty clean and they do have a genuine interest in having foreigners stay in Malaysia. 10 year visa, tax free car, etc, etc..

Right now I'd put it second behind Cebu Philippines. Of course that's because I am married to a lovely Filipina who had given me 2 beautiful babies.

As for the particulars Arrival no sweat, if you are an American you get 90 days with no limit on re-entries AFAIK. As I said the people I found to be very friendly and not xenophobic. There is a great variety of ethnicity there. Housing a bit more expensive but not much. The island is fairly small so it makes the real estate market a bit tighter. Healthcare, schools, and other public institutions up to snuff, heck the BiB are even friendly.

And a big plus: The government actually seems sane.

OP Go there and check it out by yourself. Nobody can tell YOU if it is a good place FOR YOU to live or not. Posts here are very subjective and therefore no good advice. All you need are objective, general infos and time to stay there.