Chevrolet Thailand

deck

GMs interests outside the states look like being bought up by other companies. As said the Isuzu and Colorado pick-ups are more or less one and the same. However that does not preclude some other company wanting a factory in Thailand to jump in does it?

either way I can't see a big problem ahead - assuming the major parts are the same.

Reorganization is not bankruptcy; neither has happened yet, but reorg. may happen next week. Fiat wants Opel and Vauxhall; maybe they just badge the Optra as Isuzu.

Chevy Optra is a Daewo badged Chevy, so is Captiva. Isuzu is a GM Asia truck name only.

But they may loose their resale value faster.

They already do, from 2008 back to a 2004, they are at least 100,000 baht cheaper than the Isuzu.

So buy a 2003 Isuzu or for the same price buy a 2006 Colorado

As I change the D-Max every 4 years I would not think of buying a New Colorado, because of the resale. [cost to much to exchange]

but I am thinking of changing my car for a 4 door Automatic Colorado seen a 2006 very nice one for 358,000

I visited Menheim Auctions today. Demand for cars was quite high, but not for Chevys. Several 1 year old Chevy Aveo did not find any buyer even for 300.000 THB - about 100.000 bellow street prices.

Looks like to me there is no buyer's trust in this brand at this moment.

Edited by vladaman

Is Chevrolet a very new brand in Thailand? News says reorg. is inevitable.

Isuzu and Chevy trucks are almost the same, exept minor differences in the front grill. In my opinion Chevy looks better than Isuzu, but this is a personal taste. Both have the same engine. What puzzles my is, why, in LOS, they ask for a 2003 Isuzu with a old "non commonrail" diesel engine more than for 05 Chevy with a Commonrail diesel. I think it's defenitifely worth to buy a used Chevy, than a Used Isuzu. Nobody knows if Chevy survives, but i guess some other company like Fiat (wich would be a disaster) will buy it anyway. With all the new pollution laws the US Goverment gives them after 2010, i guess no US Carmakers will survive. That's the end of it. Congratulation to the O.... Administration. But again this have nothing to do with Chevrolet Trucks, as you can use all Isuzu Parts. And actually Isuzu is GM as well. So if Chevy dies. Isuzu maybe go down too. Let's see.

Reorganization is not bankruptcy; neither has happened yet, but reorg. may happen next week. Fiat wants Opel and Vauxhall; maybe they just badge the Optra as Isuzu.

Chevy Optra is a Daewo badged Chevy, so is Captiva. Isuzu is a GM Asia truck name only.

chevy optra hasnt been a rebadged daewo for years,thats a misconception about the ones built here in Thailand

American media ignore Holden, Vauxhall, Opel, Daewoo, Isuzu; plants in China, Mexico, Thailand, etc.

Quite normal... they are not US companies, and GM is also happy that not to much is revealed, someone might ask some unpleasant questions about the relationship with them.

Based on the latest news from Germany, Their might be a buyer for Opel, Fiat already bailed out, Magna is the only one left, and seems to comply with the requirements of the German govt.

However within the whole negotiations, GM is the one who is trying to prevent the buy out.

One of the reasons that GM is trying to keep Opel is that contrary to common belief and the stories created around it, Opel is doing quite well, and their cars are selling good in EU, that they make successful cars is probably also proven by the number of Chevrolet Zafira's that are on TH roads (originally it is a Opel Zafira, and the Chev Zafi in TH is about 95% original Opel)

What constantly puts Opel in the red is that GM keeps draining them financially, a known fact, and also one of the problems that the German govt. has with implementing any support program, they are afraid that the money they would put in Opel, goes to GM.

As to the other mentioned brands... Vauxhall's are now mostly re branded Opels.

Deawoo, Holden and Isuzu are financially and product wise at the bottom end of the GM spectrum. And GM wouldn't mind selling them, but nobody wants to buy....

As to the future of Chev./GM TH, GM might disappear over time (even when they file for bankruptcy, it will take quite some time before it would really shut them down, effectively, they will file for "Chapter 11" what basically means "bankruptcy protection" so they can continue, be it supervised). Chevrolet will be here somewhat longer, maybe only as a service center (they do make good money in the maintenance to....) and with the stockpile in spare parts, there is little to worry.

If it would be wise to by a Chev./GM "group" car? only the future will tell. the current advantage of the situation is the they go cheap on the second hand market.

One commonly not so well known aspect of GM-Opel is that the R&D center of GM is with Opel Germany, they serve the whole GM group... when Opel spin's of, it will cause a major headache to split the R&D up, and what from that center will return to GM and what remains with Opel is one of the bigger problems. Keeping the whole center with Opel is not feasable, for one the costs, and secondly whatever has been and is designed there is property of GM, so GM could make a nice buck on the continued licensing fees on Opel car parts/cars...

A probable scenario for the center could be that it fully goes to GM, and since GM is in no position the maintain the current status (personell and financially wise), they will have to lay off the majority of the staff... Opel starts their own R&D center and get's those people back, and they will certainly find a way around the old licenses...

Within the whole GM group there are a few brands that are worth saving, not for the name sake, but those brands are profitable.

GM itself deserves to die, they are merely a parasite that feeds on those brands. In the battle for Opel, it was revealed that Opel has to turn over all profits to GM every year, and money Opel needs is to be loaned from GM with not so atractive interest rates, I'm sure GM does this with all others as well. Not that this is illegal, its common practice within international corporations, but it distorts the reality.

Chevrolet and Isuzu Thailand are healthy according to GM Asia Pacific. Will not be affected by GM US belly up. Presently investing in new tools to present new pickup and SUV, and the Chevy Cruze. Also investing in a dieselengine facility in Rayong. BKK post May 29th 2009.

US Automakers allready much in troubles and Obama give them the End, because regarding the new US polution law, they have to build more fuelefficient cars until 2010 (average ab out 7 liter per 100 km. The problem is that all the new Camaros and Challengers selling like Hot Cakes, in US and even in Europe. Obama, of corse drives a 8 tonne heavy Cadillac, but he want peaple to drive small cars. So actually he should be a good example and drive a "Smart", but he don't. Not everyone like to own only a small economicqal car. US Automakers build small cars as well but quality of their small cars is very poor in compare with the Japanese. They use to build the strongest and best cars in the world, but only large cars. It would be similar if for example the english goverment would pusch Jaguar or Aston Martin to build small eco cars. It wouln't work out. Anywa, Magna just take over Opel today. But for Chevy Thailand, i don't see any problem because only the badge is chevy. Everything else is exactly like Isuzu. All same parts, except front grill.

GM Thailand will continue its investment here to turn Thailand its hub of Southeast Asian operations and will not lay off its workers here, its chief told Industry Minister Charnchai Chairungrueng Monday.

Steve Carlisle, CEO of General Motors SouthEast Asian Operations and Chevrolet Sales Thailand, visited Charnchai and gave the assurance to the minister.

He said GM would expand its investment here because Thailand has potential to expand the market to other countries in the region.

He said GM would use Thailand as its hub for investment of GM products for the markets in the region.

He said GM Thailand would not lay off its workers because it has become a separate business unit independent from its parent company in the US.

The Nation

GM Thailand will continue its investment here to turn Thailand its hub of Southeast Asian operations and will not lay off its workers here, its chief told Industry Minister Charnchai Chairungrueng Monday.

Steve Carlisle, CEO of General Motors SouthEast Asian Operations and Chevrolet Sales Thailand, visited Charnchai and gave the assurance to the minister.

He said GM would expand its investment here because Thailand has potential to expand the market to other countries in the region.

He said GM would use Thailand as its hub for investment of GM products for the markets in the region.

He said GM Thailand would not lay off its workers because it has become a separate business unit independent from its parent company in the US.

The Nation

And thai government has financed them lately :)

The Nation

And thai government has financed them lately :)

GM Thai are aparently seeking to borrow approx 10 billion baht from local banks in Thailand to finance the new diesel engine plant and support the development of their next generation pick-up and SUV expected to be launched during 2011. I heard that GM Thai has very little debt with Debt to Equity of only 0.08:1 at end of last year. I don't think the Thai Gov't agreed to provide GMT with any funding, hence they are approaching some local banks.

With regards to vehicle parts, GMT currently source approx 70% of their parts from Thai suppliers, and the rest comes mainly from Korea, so the bankruptcy of the US parent should not affect spare parts supplies.

Edited by mark5335

As an Aussie I would like to see Holden cut it's ties with GM......well as much as possible gven that some engines and transmissions come from GM in the states. In a way it would be poetic justice. Why? Well back in the last depression Holden was all Australian but it ran into problems with money and falling sales so GM (The buzzard) came in to pick over the dying carcass.

Daewoo, Holden, Isuzu & Opel would be better off without GM. They could be run independent and deal with each other on a co-operative basis in sharing technology and hard parts.

Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Ford selling hatchbacks in Los

Toyota & Honda yes but Ford & Mazda No not in this class... I have never seen a Mazda 2 here or a Ford Fiesta..

Yes there are some silly priced hatchbacks, but was thinking of a normal everyday brand between 400 - 650 k

When I 1st came here was told Hatchback NO there is NO Thai that would buy, as Thais like a boot, then came the Jazz they sold like hot cakes, Toyota woke up and a year or so later came the Yaris, then the Nissan Tiida but this is really the next class up

Sure there are others now but at 1 million ++

Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Ford selling hatchbacks in Los

Toyota & Honda yes but Ford & Mazda No not in this class... I have never seen a Mazda 2 here or a Ford Fiesta..

Yes there are some silly priced hatchbacks, but was thinking of a normal everyday brand between 400 - 650 k

When I 1st came here was told Hatchback NO there is NO Thai that would buy, as Thais like a boot, then came the Jazz they sold like hot cakes, Toyota woke up and a year or so later came the Yaris, then the Nissan Tiida but this is really the next class up

Sure there are others now but at 1 million ++

Ford Fiesta is on its way, but could take one more year. Not sure what Mazda is planning, but cheapest 3 is not much more expensive than topline Yaris/Jazz. Cheapest Tiida too.

400k thats Proton Savvy. good looking