Microsoft Windows Xp

stats

Dear All,

I have seen most of the Internet cafe here in Bangkok are using the Xp home or Pro in their internet cafe....

They Paste a photocopy of the Microsoft Certificate of Authentecy on top of their CPU...Is this a Licence Copy ??? By setting up an internet cafe do they have to buy the original XP PAkage for every CPU ?? or only 1 pakage bought and could be shared with all other 20 computers???

What is the LAw in Thailand about this Set up?where can i get more information ???

any site???

Tnank You

Tytus

.....They Paste a photocopy of the Microsoft Certificate of Authentecy on top of their CPU...Is this a Licence Copy ???

It's hard to tell without having the exact wording of what the photocopy says. For the last year or two, most computers running Microsoft Windows, have a "Certificate of Authenticity" label afixed to the computer case. More info here:
.....By setting up an internet cafe do they have to buy the original XP PAkage for every CPU ?? or only 1 pakage bought and could be shared with all other 20 computers???

They could purchase a seperate license for each computer, however it is normally less expensive to purchase a "multi-license" from the software vendor, for example a 10-20 station license. I suspect the cafe may have been checked by some "anti-piracy" organization, and the cafe owners posted a photocopy of their license(s), to avoid potential legal problems.

cheers :o

I seriously doubt that most internet cafe;s would run legal licensed copies of Windows XP. Perhaps the top 1% of expensive trendy outfits around Silom and Sukhumvit, but anywhere else: No way! Those top 1% would perhaps also use brand name computers, that come with XP pre installed and would have that sticker on it. Like brand name HP's or IBMs.

99% If not more of internet cafes in the country use the cheapest generic clone boxes with zero licensed software. It's cheaper to pay the police something occasionally than pay Microsoft. :-) XP sells for MORE money here in Thailand than it does in the US.. So.... go figure.