This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where is the Crossbar?

Cant confirm as I am not sure if I will be in BKK on the 12/06.

website thecrossbarbangkok.com has location map and Pics to give you an idea of the place

The crossbar is near Soi cowboy right?

Sounds OK but maybe the smoke would not be good.

Bull is near Nana so good.

Let's do it!

Where is the Crossbar?

Cant confirm as I am not sure if I will be in BKK on the 12/06.

website thecrossbarbangkok.com has location map and Pics to give you an idea of the place

The crossbar is near Soi cowboy right?

Sounds OK but maybe the smoke would not be good.

Bull is near Nana so good.

Let's do it!

For Jfchandler, if the place is smoke free, I am all for that.  BUt if it is the Crossbar, I will still be there.

Thus far I have recommendations for Pub Style places including:

Black Swan

The Cross Bar

Penalty Spot

Any others to the list? Nightclubs, lounges, restaurants?

Guessing once we get say 10 options, we can poll it to find a majority concensus.

OnNutter's back in Bankok after a three week visit to Blighty, and it's good to be back amongst happy expats of Sukhumvit. I for one, vote the Crossbar the bar of choice as it's my local and therefore IMHO the best of the bunch, on saying that I will be in attendance wherever it may be, although a meal, a bar and then...hem...Afters! For those who want it, would make for a great night out and the crossbar is ideally located for this. By the way I'll be available any for night until 20th July.

I will be watching with interest how the opinions formulate the night! :)

Re our list of possible venues...my two cents

Titanium - can be a fun place to go with good music... but, I think it's not the place to go for people trying to have a conversation.

Crossbar - the last time I was in there, indeed, there was a group of Koreans or Japanese smoking up a storm. And because the place is smallish with just a few tables, it didn't take much to become unpleasantly smokey. It's unfortunate because the place is so small and really only one room, there's not much they can do when people are smoking, and clearly the owner does nothing to discourage indoor smoking there, despite the supposed law.

JFC, give it a rest with The Crossbar and it's smoking. I think you must have mentioned it a number of times in this thread :) . There is a poll for people to vote, so let them decide. I'm pretty easy with most places but will not go to Titanium, Gullivers or The Penalty Spot based on bill padding experiences. Furthermore The Penalty Spot is just Tilac with TV screens and a band, and Titanium you can hardly hear yourself speak. Not really suitable places for meet ups. Anyway see how it progresses, but at this rate I can see nothing happening.

MRT, only about as many times as you have spoken in favor of Crossbar... Fair is fair...

I've said my piece... Nothing more to say... I was just responding to (I believe) OxfordWill's comment earlier about his experience with Asians smoking in there... I had the same experience. That's all.

Captains of industry over 135 posts still no venue decided, when you do decide which venue, it will take another 135 votes to decide whether to drink shandy or cocktails.

:) As I've said earlier, this will all come to nothing - James was right.

It's best not to ask I guess. Just say "we've arranged discount drinks at suchandsuch a pub on suchasuch a date, who is coming?'.

To be honest you are quite correct. A fair few of us on the Football Forum meet up pretty much every week. We just say where, and that's it. They either come or they don't. Most of the time now we don't generally put anything up as all the usuals meet up. Good fun too, nice mixture of blokes, and sometimes girls.

I think James got fed up with doing this, as it all got a bit bitchy.

Captains of industry over 135 posts still no venue decided, when you do decide which venue, it will take another 135 votes to decide whether to drink shandy or cocktails.

How was bkkjames right? He got in a snit because people gave their opinions after he asked for them, and he bugged out. I didn't hear any predictions from him that this whole thing would vanish because he wasn't around.

This thing is set for over a week from now, so leaving the poll up for a couple more days seems harmless to me. It looks like the Crossbar is going to be it, and that is fine. So if it is still the largest vote-getter by, say Monday, then that should be it. Then whoever shows, shows. Whoever does not, does not.

So much drama over a simple get-together is really quite astounding.

How was bkkjames right? He got in a snit because people gave their opinions after he asked for them, and he bugged out. I didn't hear any predictions from him that this whole thing would vanish because he wasn't around.

This thing is set for over a week from now, so leaving the poll up for a couple more days seems harmless to me. It looks like the Crossbar is going to be it, and that is fine. So if it is still the largest vote-getter by, say Monday, then that should be it. Then whoever shows, shows. Whoever does not, does not.

BB I am with you, I have no problem. Let's see what happens. I have spoken with Brian @ The Crossbar, and he will put some stuff on for us.

that new Ozzie bar on Soi 11 not cheap though. Charging B150 inc Vat for a scooner (3/4 pint?) of Heineken whereas most BKK pubs are charging that for a pint. Also looked at their intro menu and charging near on B400 for burger or fish n chips (cannot recall which).

Having said that they have done a good job on the fit out.

BB I am with you, I have no problem. Let's see what happens. I have spoken with Brian @ The Crossbar, and he will put some stuff on for us.

That would be great.  

What time do these things start, anyway?  I was a little late for the other one I attended as I drive from Omyai after work and Friday traffic can be a little problematic, to say the least.

it has never been this complicated before when tv members got together.

We went where the majority chose, don't like then don't go. STill there is another option - Just arrange another piss up next week or next month!

I will not be going anyway because first i have been busy with the new uni and second i don't like crossbar though i want to meet up with those nice tv members.

I also won't be going...

It's unfortunate and sad to me that -- in a large city like BKK with scores of absolutely similar pubs that honor the local law and provide a non-smoking environment for patrons or at least separate areas -- that a group of TV members seem to have their hearts set on choosing one particular meeting place that flouts the law and does nothing to accommodate non-smokers.

I'm pretty easy-going about most things...and I really enjoy to meet with other participants in TV. Thus I can put up with any food, put up with any music, put up with any style place. But, I won't put up with breathing other people's cigarette smoke for the pleasure of attending the TV gathering. That's one thing I won't put up with...

JFC - They have chosen Crossbar. And it is normal that people will smoke in pubs though it is the law providing non-smoking area.

Lots of pubs in Bangkok hanging non-smoke signs, but they do not really follow em.

So let's hope for the next piss up. Maybe one who does not smoke and does not like smoky place will arrange it :D

and for the ones who are going to the Crossbar hope you will have a great time pissing up. :D

cheers :)

well in that case, why don't we find one that is a bit out of town that is a nice beer garden so that it is open air and people smoking isn't a big deal so everyone can be happy?

alternatively book somewhere that has two sections - a smoking and non smoking section?

BTW, any excuse for a pissup is a good excuse so weddone!

Edited by konfuzed