Rim Moei Market. Mae Sot

G54

Not sure if this is the best place to put this mods.

I am off to Mae Sot for the visa run soon and have seen there is a market called Rim Moei Market.

There is not much information on the internet.

Is that on the Thai side or the Burmese side? A large or small market? Any bargains there like mobile phones or clothing or other commodities ?

Any decent shops on the Burmese side that anyone knows about that are worth a visit?

Do the shops on the Burmese side take Thai Baht?

Any info gratefully received :)

Edited by G54

The market's on the Thai side, but while there's a lot of electrical equipment I feel it would be risky to buy anything there - all the stuff is unheard of brand names and just looks as if it won't last long. You walk over the bridge to Burma, but there's not much on the other side, but I'm sure they'll take Thai Baht.

If you're after bargains, at the market you may find some good carvings and cheap clothing - but nothing too fashionable.

Lots of fantastic places to eat in Mae Sot.

I bought a nice bottle of Australian red, and some Jazz CD's when I went there. But there really is a lot of junk, fake Chinese stuff and copies. Interesting though to look around. There is a more detailed thread on what there is on sale in the Chang Rai forum.

I had a Thai guide with me, he spoke Burmese and he kept telling me how everything was expensive there and it would break after two minutes, and I would be better to buy back on the Thai side, but that stuff just looked as bad too me.

Also you will see illegal shops openly selling bear paws, and all sorts of rare animal parts. (They are used in traditional Chinese medicines) beware, do not take a photo of any of these shops, the owners are likely to become very aggressive and may even grab your camera.

Check your new date stamp, very carefully. They had stamped mine with the wrong year on it. The officials on both sides, very chatty and friendly though. Hope I haven't turned you off, just my experience.