Work Permit

Hello everyone!

I've been investigating job opportunities in Thailand and have a few things on the table at present.

I am considering a number of options.

1. Working full time as a teacher
  2. Working full time in the heath sector
  3. Working part-time as a teacher and part time in the health sector

I've been weighing up the pros and cons in terms of what I personally want to do and where I want my career to head and I have now reached the stage where discussions with prospective employees have developed enough to start making decisions! So, I wanted to ask for some advice on the technicalities and hope that someone will be able to offer some assistance.

I have just been offered a part time teaching role with the possibility of moving to a full time role later in the educational year. The wage is very good even by European standards, however, the employer has said that although they will "help" with my work permit that I will have to pay for it myself.

I have also been in discussions with an employer in the health sector but when I asked them about a work permit they said that I would need to be working for 3 months before they could apply for a work permit for me. From what I gather from reading other threads on this site this hasn't been mentioned before.

So my questions are as follows:

• How easy will it be for me to obtain a work permit (supported by a school) for a part-time teaching post and how much will this cost?
  • Do I need to work for three months before an employer can apply for a work permit for me?
  • Can I get a work permit that will cover me for multiple part time jobs? (two or three max?)
  • Is there an income threshold that I need to achieve to obtain a work permit? (for example if I only take the part-time job can I still get a work permit on a part-time wage?)

And related question (as just asked from the other end of the sofa)

• Can my boyfriend become a dependant on my work permit?

I would very much appreciate any advice that you can give me here.

My aim is to figure out which option will be best both in terms of legal requirements and for long term prospects. It might seem like the better option to take a full-time role now but if the part-time role is ultimately in a more desirable field and in a better environment maybe it's as good to take that and build it into a full time position. Those things, I understand, are a personal choice that only I can make but the feasibility of it all will have an impact on my decision.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

:)

So my questions are as follows:

How easy will it be for me to obtain a work permit (supported by a school) for a part-time teaching post and how much will this cost?

I would guess that all you will do is pay the money. The schools 'help' will be to get all the documents together, and to probably turn them in. How eary will depend on whether they know what's required and if they have a relationship with the Labor Office. 3100 baht for one year.

Do I need to work for three months before an employer can apply for a work permit for me?

Technically, that's illegal, but the norm for many places. I think they want to see if you'll stick around (and whether they want you to) before they spend time and money on you.

Can I get a work permit that will cover me for multiple part time jobs? (two or three max?)

It's possible, but not likely. After you have the WP, the original employer is going to have to agree to let someone else put their job on there too. No shortcuts with paperwork for the second job.

To get a work permit there is no minimum salary.

For teaching there is no written minimum salary to get an extension of stay at immigration. But for any other type of work you have to meet a minimum salary requirement (for you probably 50,000 per month dependent on what country you are from).

You will not be able to get a visa/extension for your boy friend. It can only be done for family members. It has nothing to do with the workpermit. Work permtis are done at the labor department and extesnions at immigration.

Thanks for that information.

When you say that working before have the WP in place is technically illegal but "the norm" for a lot of places can you give me some idea of what the potential consequences would be of doing this?

Likewise, if I obtain a work permit for teaching part-time and then do additional non-teaching work would there be an issue?

When you say that it is unlikely I would be able to obtain a WP for two part-time jobs can I assume that I cannot apply for two separate work permits covering each role?

Thanks and apologies if I am being a bit dense - just want to make sure I get all this straight.

And while I'm here - is it usual for an employer to not want to pay for the WP - even though it is a relatively small amount of money at 3100 BHT per year? I would have assumed that if they are willing to support by providing the required documentation that they would have no issue paying. Seems strange to me..

It is possible to have 2 jobs on one work permit. If you are working for one emplyer part time it should not be that hard to get the orginal employer to agree to the 2nd job being put on your work permit. How easy or hard it will be to get it done will depend upon which provencial labor office you are dealing with. But in many cases it takes a lawyer or advisor to get things like this taken care of because they have contacts at the labor department office that can short cut some of the red tape.

Normally the employer takes care of and pays for everything.

The wage is very good even by European standards

:):D:D

This smells bad.

For a part time job you should be happy to get 20.000-30.000 baht/month.

Define part time job ?, because according to my spin on the definition, I work part time and make considerably more than THB 30,000/m - granted not in the teaching or health sector... :D

The wage is very good even by European standards

:):D:D

This smells bad.

For a part time job you should be happy to get 20.000-30.000 baht/month.

Define part time job ?, because according to my spin on the definition, I work part time and make considerably more than THB 30,000/m - granted not in the teaching or health sector... :D

Why does it smell bad?

I worked the wage out on an hourly basis and it was what I would consider a decent wage. However, having spoken to my mum (who is a teacher) she says it's not too great and I should be very careful about accepting a part-time job. Hmmm...

If I was working say - 1 or 2 days a week how much would be a good wage?