Anywhere To Volunteer On A Rice Farm?

Hi, I'm going to Southeast Asia for 11 weeks I want to spend a short time volunteering on rice farm. I was just wondering if anyone knows, or has any idea where the best place would be to start. Either in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam. I really want to use this experience to learn more about the culture and the way of life and see to how people relate to their environment. I spent last year teaching in Africa so I'm used to the poorest of conditions.

Also if anyone has the contacts of schools near the northern hill tribes which I maybe able to teach in, I'd be very grateful.

As a final thing I really interested in being able to find a factory which I could have a look around and maybe speak some people in their lunch break. Again if anyone has any contacts or ideas please let me know.

Thanks

might want to post on the Surin Forum also

http://www.surinfarang.com/board/default.aspx?g=forum

(tip) distinctly remember being unable to find boots my size (11 US) in Prasat, ended up working in my sneakers (cutting not planting). hard work, great memories.

would get the thai/khmer language experience also

would love to hear how it all works out.

good luck

Hi, I'm going to Southeast Asia for 11 weeks I want to spend a short time volunteering on rice farm. I was just wondering if anyone knows, or has any idea where the best place would be to start. Either in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam. I really want to use this experience to learn more about the culture and the way of life and see to how people relate to their environment. I spent last year teaching in Africa so I'm used to the poorest of conditions.

Also if anyone has the contacts of schools near the northern hill tribes which I maybe able to teach in, I'd be very grateful.

As a final thing I really interested in being able to find a factory which I could have a look around and maybe speak some people in their lunch break. Again if anyone has any contacts or ideas please let me know.

Thanks

You can't work this mean volunteering its same job and you need work permit in Thailand

Thanks

You can't work this mean volunteering its same job and you need work permit in Thailand

I'm literally talking about a day, maybe two. Should I really be that worried about a work permit?

Thanks

I'm literally talking about a day, maybe two. Should I really be that worried about a work permit?

My cousin has a rice farm in Phitchit it is off the main drag so other Thai's will not see you but you will not need shoes you just walk the water in your bare feet. Only one or 2 days will not give you enough time for your toe nails to go black with the water.

Thanks

http://www.fairearth.co.th/farm.php

• 1 month later...

Hello,

my name is Janos, I am working for a hungarian co. called imprahungary kft. Currently we are looking for rice farmers in Thailand from them we could directly buy rice. This is good for both parties, because we are ready to pay more for the farmers, but it will be still much less that we would have to pay for a mill or an exporter. What do you think? Could this work?

Waiting for your answer,

Greetings

Janos Csanyi

Foreign Trade Clerk

IMPRA Hungary Kft.

HU-1033 Budapest,

Hajogyari-sziget 131.

Nice idea lopotok - it may just work if you can touch base with fragrant rice growers, but otherwise I suggest you read up some on the export formalities and licensing requirements - I think the min volume currently is around 500 metric tonn FOB - and there are very very farmers around who can offer that volume - which explains why Co-Ops exist in Thailand.

You need to get a list of the Co-Ops in Thailand and then speak to them.

Good Luck

Thanks

If by chance you get caught. Need we concern ourselves with your plight?

Thanks

You sound really nice. I don't have a rice farm but if you want to work you can send me a PM>

Lots of rice farms up in the North East where folk will be only to happy to have you throw in a couple days "work experiance".

If you are really serious about it, get a introduction letter written up in Thai (Isaan dialect) to present to your prospective "peasent employer" - so they get the gist of your motives and intention.

As for work permitt - no one is going to throw the book at you - belive me, you'll be 100% safe.

It's obvious what you are trying to do - get some experiance of the reality of life here, as opposed to seeking gainful employment. Work Permitt will be a non-issue - no official is going to be motivated to pursue such pettyness out in the sticks. Anyway the locals in the small rural communities are by and large jolly decent folk, who couldn;t care a hoot and who will afford you every courtesy they can.

All will have a good laugh, you'll get completly dirty and within a couple days wil have had enough of it - so get on with it and enjoy it.

Report back to the forum later.

best of Luck