Air Con Energy Use

Valentine

I have purchased several air cons here in Phuket over the years & never thought much about it, except I thought Sharp was a good brand, & as I may be in the market for a new one I went in search of pricing & recommendations over the last couple of days.

Wishing to be economical, I am not only looking at price but the enregy label which shows how much it will cost to run for one year. One salseman said this is the cost for running 24 hours a day which I find hard to believe & another said it was based on 8 hours at 25deg C. Does anyone know the true story on this?

Would also appreciate comments or recommendations on different brands, quality, etc for a split type unit. I now see some have plastic casing for the compressor which could be OK as I have seen the metal ones get rusty after a while but the salesman said the plastic ones are not UV protected.

I was told inverter units are good if running 12 or more hours per day as they are much more energy efficient & the energy label confirms this but they are much more expensive. Apparently an inverter fridge gets similar energy saving results which I could also be in the market for.

The EGAT energy classification (the yellow sticker) is based on 25C for 8 hours at night (no sunshine). The point is to compare how much baht it costs to run, stated at EGAT sticker. It should of course be class 5, but within class 5 there are a couple of thousand baht difference a year.

As important as the product is the installation.

IMO the best ones are Fujitsu (extremely quiet) and high end Mitsubishi. But you get LG and Samsung sometimes at 15 k installed at Homepro. No problem but a bit more noisy.

Inverter or not. A question of price. For the unit and for the runningcosts.

We have tried a number of different air cons as we built rental units over the past 10+ years. Have to say that the Sharps we installed 10+ years ago were very good, but expensive. Then we tried Amena units, ugggg horrible, no end of trouble. Then Fujitsu, not much better. Our latest building we installed Dakin, and 2+ years later have had almost nothing to complain about.

I would say that the installation & maintenance company has a big part to play in future serviceability of air cons. In my opinion the best installation company is Suawantanee in Phuket Twon.

We have tried a number of different air cons as we built rental units over the past 10+ years. Have to say that the Sharps we installed 10+ years ago were very good, but expensive. Then we tried Amena units, ugggg horrible, no end of trouble. Then Fujitsu, not much better. Our latest building we installed Dakin, and 2+ years later have had almost nothing to complain about.

I would say that the installation & maintenance company has a big part to play in future serviceability of air cons. In my opinion the best installation company is Suawantanee in Phuket Twon.

I too have used this same company when I bought the Sharps & found them to be very reliable although later on Kee Hin did a much better job at cleaning the unit after I had been using Suwantawee.

As an aside which has nothing to do with air con I find myself having to log in twice everytime. Any ideas why?

I agree with LivinginKata. I have Daikin Invertors, they super quiet and definately more efficient on electricity usage. They take a little bit longer to install and are a little bit more expensive but I'd rather pay more at the outset than more every month.

The type I have has a magic eye that can tell if anyone is in the room or not. If not, they go into power save mode which i find is a useful feature if you forget to turn them off before going out.

My neighbour has 3 mitsubishi's and barely uses them because of the noise they make. Not good on a night time when trying to sleep.