Nntp Speed Problems, Anyone?

DavidBrook

True Move is truly catastrophic sometimes, and now they blithely tell me their engineers don't know what usenet is. Nor nntp protocol. They think I am stupid and really mean website servers.

My speeds on usenet are appalling and the servers are constantly timing out. There is no point talking to True Move because they clearly don't understand the business they are in and are probably only dimly aware they are alive.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions for a fix? Torrent speeds (surprisingly) are pretty good overall but usenet is a trickle. I am using an iMAc with OSX Leopard and have tweaked the buffers to try and coax some additional speed but to no avail.

Any suggestions out there?

D

Which usenet service provider are you using?

How many connections to the server?

Mac OS X use NZBDrop or Unison.

Perhaps True are throttling the standard port. Try a usenet provider that offers multiple ports such as easynews.com or ssl on usenetserver.com.

I can always max out my 4mb SME on nntp with 10 connections to usenetserver.com

Edited by namoo

Which usenet service provider are you using?

How many connections to the server?

Mac OS X use NZBDrop or Unison.

Perhaps True are throttling the standard port. Try a usenet provider that offers multiple ports such as easynews.com or ssl on usenetserver.com.

I can always max out my 4mb SME on nntp with 10 connections to usenetserver.com

Cheers. I am using Unison but Xnntp and pineapple are the same, 5 connections generally. I use Usenet news but news demon is the same. Using port 119, and that was my first thought, I will try ssl. I get good throughput from binary website downloads and torrent, but nntp is disastrous.

I am pretty sure it was the same when I was at a different address, so it may be the port is throttled as you suggest.