Permanent Address On Affirmation Of Freedom To Marry

ianh68

I have just been told by my local amphur that I cannot put the Thai address which I am living at as my permanent address; instead I must put the address in England of my flat (which I own and am renting out).

I have been affirming every 90 days for two years at Immigration that I live at my Thai address. (It belongs to my fiancee and I am paying her "rent".)

Can anyone shed any light on the reasons for this decision by the amphur and possible implications? I am going to have to say that my permanent address is somewhere I don't live at. What if I did not have any property outside of Thailand?

The affirmation of freedom to marry is made by your embassy. Mine stated my adress in Thailand and was accepted by the amphur without any problem.

Note that you can get married at any amphur, there is no requirement to go to your local amphur. It is even advisable to get married at an amphur where they have experience with marriages involving foreigners.

The Amphur wants your permanent address on the Affirmation. I have just checked mine and this is correct. I used

my Mums address in the UK.

Permanent not current address.

Edited by beano2274

The Amphur wants your permanent address on the Affirmation. I have just checked mine and this is correct. I used

my Mums address in the UK.

Permanent not current address.

Ok, I understand that because I'm on a retirement extension which could be canceled by immigration, that my address in Thailand is not permanent. But ok, you've used your Mum's address in the UK. But for the US, they consider my address in Thailand as my permanent address (just got the SSDI form in the mail today). Mai bpen rai, 2 governments, 2 addresses.

But you are on a Visa or extension, this really means you are a guest in another country, IMO.

Unless you have PR, then you do not have a permanent address in Thailand, again my opinion.

Agreed; but the 'home' country considers me to be a permanent resident of a foreign country. Go figure. Anyway, I'm here, so Thai law rules as far as I'm concerned.

I vote by proxy in the UK so am still registered there. Maybe the good old US of A does not need your vote.

But to the OP, you need to supply your UK address, as you are registered in the UK, not in Thailand.