Monthly Motorbike Rental

freddy123

Looking to rent a motorbike on a monthly basis. I have asked at a few places and have got widely varying prices. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this and could let me know what they paid and where and stuff.

Also looking to buy a proper motorbike helmet as well. Is there a place that specializes in them?

Thanks

Looking to rent a motorbike on a monthly basis. I have asked at a few places and have got widely varying prices. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this and could let me know what they paid and where and stuff.

Also looking to buy a proper motorbike helmet as well. Is there a place that specializes in them?

Thanks

I pay 2,000 bt. per month. Not sure if this is good or bad. I like the people alot. They wash it,

adjust anything loose, change oil, when I come in to pay each month. Sankhampang (not right spelling)

on Loi Kroe, just pass the funky bridge. Helmet shop on Moonmuang, not sure the # but it is passed

soi 10 I think.

Thanks

I've been renting my Yamaha Mio 110cc automatic for about six months now from "SMILE: Motorbike Rental , located at Niyom Phanich 51/71 Rajchadamnern Road - the eastern end. I started out paying 2800 baht and am now paying 2500 baht per month. I was clearly mistaken in thinking this was a good deal. I'm well looked after by the delightful English speaking lady who does the business but these other quoted prices may well have me waving good-bye. The bike had about 25,000kms on the clock, so it wasn't new. But nothing ever goes wrong.

Edited by Asmerom

2000 baht is what I paid for an older 125 scooter in good condition. The shop is owned by a Frenchman. It's on a tiny soi just the inside of the moat from the Thai Pei gate.

Before I bought a bike, I also used Remmie the French guy. Good service and very relaxed, if there is anything wrong with the bike he just swaps it for another.

I am paying, now shamefacedly, 3,000 baht a month for a Yamaha Mio. Great service and such, but then, why not, at that price?! I do have an arrangement by which if I am gone for a week or two or more, I return the scooter and get credit for the time I am away. I would like to console myself with that thought, but am gearing myself to learn that everyone else has the same deal! :)

I too am an alcaholic( sorry wrong forum) rent from the nice lady at smile rental, and probably pay a bit too much . After 7 months i should own it. However, renting has lots of advantages.

I bought a decent helmet from a shop along Manee Noporat near wat pa pao. There is a string of shops selling usfull things like compressors etc. This shop is owned by an elderly couple and all they sell is helmets and waterproofs. I bought a "Nippon" brand open face with a pull down visor for 700Bt. Its still only fiberglass, but is fairly light, and has very comfortable and good quality internal padding.

I pay 2,000 bt. per month. Not sure if this is good or bad. I like the people alot. They wash it,

adjust anything loose, change oil, when I come in to pay each month. Sankhampang (not right spelling)

on Loi Kroe, just pass the funky bridge. Helmet shop on Moonmuang, not sure the # but it is passed

soi 10 I think.

What is the make and model your getting for 2,000. bt per month?

Thanks

There is a bike gear shop in Pantip Plaza where you can get a proper helmet.

Last time I was past they had an Aria in stock (I brought my Shoei with me)

One word of advice, I appreciate any helmet is better than none

BUT, how much is your head worth?

Please, ALWAYS wear your helmet and when buying one follow two simple rules.

1, make sure it fits properly or it will simply fall of before it does it's job especially if NOT EVEN DONE UP.

2, buy the most expensive helmet you can afford, because one day it may save your life

Ta Ta

Richard

ex Isle of Man

Edited by heazille

• 4 months later...
2000 baht is what I paid for an older 125 scooter in good condition. The shop is owned by a Frenchman. It's on a tiny soi just the inside of the moat from the Thai Pei gate.

Before I bought a bike, I also used Remmie the French guy. Good service and very relaxed, if there is anything wrong with the bike he just swaps it for another.

Guys, does this shop have insurance? Is it still a good place to go to? Ive been renting to get a feel for what kind of bike i want to buy, but the cost is adding up. This sounds like a good deal in the mean time. But, im concerned about insurance (or do you guys take out separate insurance??). Also, what kind of deposit, and, what ID does he require?

Thanks so much!

I paid 7500bht for a Suzuki 110cc with 30k on the clock.

I then paid 1500bht for repairs and servicing.

In the past 6 months I have paid 600bht for new tyres and tubes

A helmet costs from 150bht up, big shop on the road to Pantrip Plaze

If you are going to be here longer than 3 months just buy a bike.

Insurance is pretty much a waste of space from the rental shops, read the excess conditions, usually the excess is more than the value of the bike. If you crash it, cheaper to get it repaired somewhere else before returning it to the shop. Personal accident insurance, better to buy back home, many Thai policys are very hard to make a claim from (just my opinion).

I went to the french guy a couple of weeks ago looking to rent another bike, they didn't have any on either occasion i went. I don't think they do insurance there. But they don't require a deposit of passport, just a passport copy.

I ended up just going to Mr Mechanic and getting a 100cc bike for 2000. I got a nice looking well maintained but old honda dream. It doesn't have any guts and is a bit noisy but does the job perfectly. Even has an electric starter. And I doubt that anyone is going to bother to steal it which is also a benefit. They tried to keep my passport at Mr M but I told them I was in love with it and so they accepted a copy of it and 3000b deposit (make sure you get the proper receipts for that, they made a note on their sheet of paper about the deposit, and I had to ask specifically to get the same marks made on mine, I think it was an honest mistake though).

I have opted in for the 500b extra insurance, just to see if it makes me feel safer (i don't usually buy it), and it does somewhat but I still have to pay 10,000B if the bike is stolen which is probably well over the actual value of the bike. I think the small amount for medical if you have an accident is more comforting for me. If it breaks down there is meant to be some sort of service you can ring aswell that will come and help you, but its probably easier to just push it to the mechanic shop that you most likely broke down in front of.

Edited by freddy123

Thanks guys.

Im particularly hoping to find somewhere that may do a good monthly deal on an Icon and/or fino.

Most importantly Im looking for added comfort of insurance.

I will be buying, but at the moment im renting to get a feel for the kind of bike that suits me (which at this point is probably an Icon but possibly a Fino).

Any advice/recommendations are appreciated. :)

edit: but i may just by some insurance with P.A. separately.

Edited by eek

I have never had insurance while renting a motorbike in Chiang Mai. But I always ask them how much I will be on the hook for if the bike is stolen and if the figure is too high I won't rent there. I rent a Honda Wave 125 and the normal figure is 25,000 baht.

I think last year (and earlier this year) I was paying 2500 baht per month for this bike. A Honda Wave 100 was 2000 baht. Both these bikes are semi-automatic (gears but no manual clutch).

For a monthly rental, I don't like to leave my passport and so for all my recent rentals have left a passport copy plus a small deposit (about 2000 baht).

I also always request a chain and lock to lock the bike up when parked in an unprotected location.

I think for almost all rentals, you have to pay any tire damage. This has always been the case for me.

I have talked to old pros about insurance. They say the best insurance (for liability) is to always have at least a couple thousand baht with you to pay someone off in the event of an accident.

LuvThailand

I bought a decent helmet from a shop along Manee Noporat near wat pa pao. There is a string of shops selling usfull things like compressors etc. This shop is owned by an elderly couple and all they sell is helmets and waterproofs. I bought a "Nippon" brand open face with a pull down visor for 700Bt. Its still only fiberglass, but is fairly light, and has very comfortable and good quality internal padding.

Correct! Tha is the only decent and cheapest shop to buy a helmet. Their prices are right and their service is simply very good.

Tyre damage!

New tyres cost 300bht, inner tubes are 90bht (including fitting).

SO not a big loss if a tyre is destroyed. I find rental bikes usually have totally worn out tyres on them anyway.

Edited by pjclark1