Thunderbird Startup

Niloc

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and I cannot get Thunderbird to start on bootup. If I go to a terminal and type 'thunderbird' it starts but in system/preferences 'Startup Applications' it does not....

Colin

I have my mail on my number six desktop and don't close it if I shut down or reboot.  I then have the system set to restore last session so anything I don't close before shut down is restarted like it was.  Also handi in keeping gkrellm in place on desktop number one.  or a torrent to restart without my having to do it.   If you put them in the auto start they will always start and sometimes thats not what I want.  I can close first and its easy to put back just don't close them first the next time.

I know this is a question about Thunderbird, but I cannot help recommend Evolution if you are running Ubuntu. One of the best mail clients available. Might take a little time to get used to, but has many nice features and integrate well with the system.

Thunderbird was supposed to be "a lightweight mail/news/RSS client" but in Linux it is nothing but a slow, bloated and buggy app. It looks like a pre-alpha test version coded by a Windows user totally irrespectful of gnome standards :) I think Mozilla should keep coding for Windows but forget about Linux !

To me, the best and fastest email clients for gnome are :

1/ Claws-mail

2/ Evolution.

• 1 month later...
I have my mail on my number six desktop and don't close it if I shut down or reboot.  I then have the system set to restore last session so anything I don't close before shut down is restarted like it was.  Also handi in keeping gkrellm in place on desktop number one.  or a torrent to restart without my having to do it.   If you put them in the auto start they will always start and sometimes thats not what I want.  I can close first and its easy to put back just don't close them first the next time.

Second this advice. Just shut down with the apps you want to load at startup still running. Tick the "save session" box, and you're set. I use xubuntu though, but IIRC gnome has this feature too.