Anyone Tried Kad Cafe Buffet Lunch At Shangri La?

Maccheroncini

I had the buffet dinner there which was pretty good. The salad bar was really good and fresh, the sushi was O.K., the pizza O.K., the a la carte choices were all very good, the pasta bar I did not like at all (pasta was not al dente and sauces were bland) , and the dessert selection was very good. Overall it was very good and a nice atmosphere. You can apply for a discount card there which will save you 15% (I think) on future visits.

Electrified, did you eat there for lunch or supper? I heard that night is much better, but more expensive.

Can anyone compare it to the Holiday Inn Sunday buffet?

Difficult to compare really because of price and choice. The limited buffet lunch at Shangri-La is very good albeit 50% more expensive (now 199++) than when it first kicked off. However it's limited to excellent breads, tasty Italian style pizzas(more oliveoil in the mix would be nice!), a basic but not bad pasta and sauce range, a very limited but satisfying salad bar and usually a Thai soup or Cow Soi.

Sunday lunch at The Holiday Inn of course presents excellent value for money IMO and is in a class of it's own, obviousely dearer at just under 500b per head with a resident 20% discount card. Both locations have nice ambience.

Never been to dinner at Shangri-La. I'd also like to hear any reports on any evening buffet there,

Regards Bojo

I second bojo's post as my experience mirrors his. The evening dinner at Shangri La has a greater variety, I think the lunch has been deliberately scaled down in order to keep the price competitive, but that doesn't mean it is not good value - I definitely think it is.

As for the dinner, it is good too but perhaps not the very best deal in town.

Just had lunch at the Shangri-la buffet yesterday. The food is good quality, but the selection is limited to salad, a few kinds of pasta with choices of sauce, very good thai noodles, small brick-oven pizzas, and dessert. But at 199B or whatever per person, it's a good value, and the setting is good. Nice place to have a leisurely lunch and long conversation in quiet surroundings.

Thanks Meadish. Are any of the drinks free or reasonably priced? Some buffets really sock it to you on drinks.

UG: they serve free water refills :) if thats what you were getting at. Drinks are pricey though.

Electrified, did you eat there for lunch or supper? I heard that night is much better, but more expensive.

Can anyone compare it to the Holiday Inn Sunday buffet?

I had dinner there UG. I think the lunch buffet is a scaled down version. Everyone I went with enjoyed the food; but nobody liked the pasta bar. Great selection of desserts. Drinks not included. I had Tiger beers but I wasn't paying so I can't comment on the prices of drinks.

the selection is limited to salad, a few kinds of pasta with choices of sauce, very good thai noodles, small brick-oven pizzas, and dessert.
But at 199B or whatever per person, it's a good value

Umm... At 199 baht? For what you just mentioned??

I did a buffet once that included salad 'very good Thai noodles', loads more Thai food and desert. It was 50 or 60 baht IIRC.

At 199 baht I would expect some fancy things.. as in some nice cheeses, salmon, decent cold cuts, etc.

the selection is limited to salad, a few kinds of pasta with choices of sauce, very good thai noodles, small brick-oven pizzas, and dessert.

I did a buffet once that included salad 'very good Thai noodles', loads more Thai food and desert. It was 50 or 60 baht IIRC.

At 199 baht I would expect some fancy things.. as in some nice cheeses, salmon, decent cold cuts, etc.

Then you would be disappointed at the Shangri-la. Still, I maintain it's a good value: you would be hard-pressed to walk into a restaurant and order the same dishes of comparable quality for less than 199 baht. And besides, this is a 5 star hotel, so one is paying in part for the atmosphere, which as I said is quite pleasant.

Edited by Puwa

I was at the Shangri-la about a month back for dinner and they had a special for 100 baht more all the local made beer you can drink during dinner. I assume that was stopped or I would have heard about it here..

I was at the Shangri-la about a month back for dinner and they had a special for 100 baht more all the local made beer you can drink during dinner. I assume that was stopped or I would have heard about it here..

Been to the Shangri-la buffet dinner many times, as well as the lunch (yesterday in fact). The lunch is the same as the dinner minus the main dishes (salmon which is always excellent, beef, chicken, soups). The pizza is ok and made to order. The pasta bar. also made to order, to me is pretty good. Yesterday I had fettuccine with garlic and salmon. It was great. They had some Thai food, and as already stated, an excellent salad. Fresh fruit, and a selection of deserts (carrot cake, and about 5 others). Well worth the 199 ++. For the dinner they include 3 different types of ice cream and a chocolate fountain.

Last Sunday I had the buffet brunch at the The Steak House (located next to Tesco Lotus) which has higher quality, fewer items and a cheaper price compared to the Holiday Inn Sunday brunch. It's all a matter of taste, but I enjoyed the Steak House brunch much more.

Thank You Everyone!

I think your on the take!!! Our group (25)meets every month and has tried many lunch buffets around town. The Empress Hotel is by far the best lunch buffet in CM. The food is superior in quality in both quantity and options.

Falang 4-5 main dishes, Thai 4-5 main dishes, Dim Sum and Sushi. The salad bar is killer in scope and quality. Cole slaw and potato salad +++! Ice cream with toppings, bottomless coffee served at your table, Creme Carmel to die for all you can eat! Give me a break!! Do you own stock in Shangri La?

Nice try !!

How much is the lunch buffet at Empress and what are the hours?

Thank You Everyone!

I think your on the take!!! Our group (25)meets every month and has tried many lunch buffets around town. The Empress Hotel is by far the best lunch buffet in CM. The food is superior in quality in both quantity and options.

Falang 4-5 main dishes, Thai 4-5 main dishes, Dim Sum and Sushi. The salad bar is killer in scope and quality. Cole slaw and potato salad +++! Ice cream with toppings, bottomless coffee served at your table, Creme Carmel to die for all you can eat! Give me a break!! Do you own stock in Shangri La?

Nice try !!

Thank You Everyone!

Nice try !!

Hi Swain, I have a members card because we get together every month.

It costs us 200 Bhat. without card I think is 230B. Inquire if you want the discount card is good for 1 or 100 ! If you need a Farang food hit this is the place to go, you will not be disappointed. I cannot say enough about the food it is just great. Kudos to the chef. Lovely hotel lobby with a beautiful teak winding staircase and the usual Thai warm feel. Give it a go.

Thank You Everyone!

Nice try !!

Hi Swain, I have a members card because we get together every month.

It costs us 200 Bhat. without card I think is 230B. Inquire if you want the discount card is good for 1 or 100 ! If you need a Farang food hit this is the place to go, you will not be disappointed. I cannot say enough about the food it is just great. Kudos to the chef. Lovely hotel lobby with a beautiful teak winding staircase and the usual Thai warm feel. Give it a go.

Sorry I forgot to give the hours 11:30am to 2 PM. Enjoy !

Thank You Everyone!

Nice try !!

I am not disputing your opinion, because I have not been for many years, but in the past, there was no comparison between the Holiday in and the Empress as far as quality goes, but the Empress was always much more affordable (after the 1997 collapse of local economies).

Do you feel that the quality of the food at the Empress is better than the Holiday Inn now?

Thank You Everyone!

Nice try !!

Empress is the best? You must be kidding!! The last time we visited the Empress was about a month ago also. I meant to extend my membership card and I did. We were there at 1130 hr, 2 variety of dim sum, spring roll so dried out tasted like rubber, smelly fish, tough pork loin, oily tempura, sad sad looking fruits, etc.. Only few eatable items. The food was so bad I almost asked the manager what's wrong. Buy anyway it's may be just that particular day.

Thank You Everyone!

Nice try !!

No I don't, and I've never tried The Empress Hotel". Do you own stock there? I'll certainly give it a try, even if you do.

BTW, the Amari Rincon lunch buffet is also great for the price. And no, I do not own stock in that entity either.

Edited by venturalaw

If you need to go to the Shangri La at lunchtime for some reason and would like to try the "buffet", go ahead.

You won't feel like you wasted your money, but you also won't feel like you have been to a real buffet or eaten anything special either.

There are only a few items available and the quality is OK, but nothing to go out of your way for.

I had a salad, soup, a few rolls and a mini pizza for 234 baht. Oh, I forgot about the deserts that are guarded by a guard from Brinks. They are literally locked in a bulletproof glass case.

You get about a thimblefull which you have to ask for and I think that they are really good, but I got the feeling that they were not happy when I asked for a 2nd thimbleful, so I am not sure about the others that I did not try.

The lunchtime buffet at the Shangi La is nothing to go out of your way for!

Edited by Ulysses G.

If you need to go to the Shangri La at lunchtime for some reason and would like to try the "buffet", go ahead.

You won't feel like you wasted your money, but you also won't feel like you have been to a real buffet or eaten anything special either.

There are only a few items available and the quality is OK, but nothing to go out of your way for.

I had a salad, soup, a few rolls and a mini pizza for 234 baht. Oh, I forget about the deserts that are guarded by a guard from Brinks. They are literally locked in a bulletproof glass case.

You get about a thimblefull which you have to ask for and I think that they are really good, but I got the feeling that they were not happy when I asked for a 2nd thimbleful, so I am not sure about the others that I did not try.

The lunchtime buffet at the Shangi La is nothing to go out of your way for!

thanks for the tip! the 11 floor free 5-7:20 p.m. happy hour had much more than that! plus free red wine,white wine alll beers,all wiskeys at least 5 different great deserts with no guards! we drank and ate so much at the shangri lafree be it changed our dinner plans. this is the 11 floor my client paid 6000 baht a nite. he thought it was o.k. price i think.

Could you tell us where you found such value buffet? Was there a reason why you did it only ONCE?

So for 199b. ( a little less then 4 USD) you EXPECT nice imported cheese and salmon. Are you for real? :)

Could you tell us where you found such value buffet? Was there a reason why you did it only ONCE?

So for 199b. ( a little less then 4 USD) you EXPECT nice imported cheese and salmon. Are you for real? :)

yes!yes! imported salmon,fine cheeses ,imported wines.. WHAT? BUT for CM at this time for what was served at buffet maybe why bother with that place ,plain and simple . maybe there is better in CM even at 199++ baht (plus vat plus service charge) once you hit 250+ baht you can find finer buffets here in CM maybe!

there are so many buffets here in CM both farang and thai you can eat at a different one everyday day of the month!

Edited by gatorhead333